How much did you start out squating?

Options
I started working out at a gym this week and did the squat rack for the first time. I can barely get 8 reps with just the bar. My question is it normal to start out with no weight in the bar. ? Or could I be doing something wrong

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't matter, just use the weight that is right for you, always push yourself and lift hard and you'll keep getting stronger and progressing
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts out different, so like AJ_G said use the weight that's right for you.

Just make sure that you progressively add more weight. Also, try searching for videos on proper form to avoid any injuries and getting the most out of your workout.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I started with body weight. Squat weight goes up fast in the beginning. My max soon became my warm up.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Start as light as possible and concentrate on doing a full, deep squat. It's perfectly normal to start off kike that. Keep it up!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Whether you need to or not, starting out with just the bar is a good idea. It gives you the opportunity to work on your form before the weights get heavy. Look into something like Stronglifts 5x5 for a good beginner weight training program.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    "heavy" in the fitness world is a relative term. Only matters to you. I always warm up with bodyweight squats and also the empty bar, no matter what max I am at.
  • Bnwalker338
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Form is way more important. Get that right then start adding small weights. If you add too much and throw off your form, go back and wait. No shame in that. I did it a few weeks ago, just got back to that weight but doing it properly now :-)
  • Bnwalker338
    Options
    Thanks that's what I have heard about form. As hard as they are to do I hope I see some good results lol
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    bodyweight then the bar..though I had the ability to put up about 200 but i wanted to finesse form
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I started body weight then goblet squats now I'm on the bar- still not v heavy but I had real problems breaking parallel, form > weight. Finally breaking parallel so going to start upping the weight.
  • Bnwalker338
    Options
    I guess I was under estimating myself, I put 20 pounds on today and did them
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I started with NO weights just so that I could get used to them and perfect my form. Same thing with lunges.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I guess I was under estimating myself, I put 20 pounds on today and did them
    Squats are interesting in that your max (and weights near it) feel crushing, yet your legs still manage to push the weight up. Just keep at it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It's fine to practice with just the bar. It takes a while to get form down and a back squat is not something you want to fail on without a spotter, for safety reasons. Slowly but surely add weight and if you think you are going to go to failure, make sure to have a spotter. Have someone who is experienced with squats watch you first to give you feedback on your depth, back position, knee tracking, etc. Good luck and have fun! :smile:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Most of the cross-fit WODs I've done have just body-weight air-squats or 45-lb goblet squats (equivalent weight to the bar). Don't fret the weight, just get the reps in.
  • Deadlifter874
    Deadlifter874 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Started off doing Squatting 5x5 3 times a week and added weight each workout, gave a good base to start
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Makes much more sense to start light than to start heavy.

I started at 60kg, but I'd been doing a lot of manual work (moving a small warehouse full of car parts including gearboxes, complete doors etc to another, including up stairs etc) before then.

While you've just jumped up fine, I'd go with often and small increments up in weights - you'll soon find the point you're pushing yourself, but working up to it means both that it may not be SO soon as you may well be improving in strength quickly enough and more that you don't go right past it and hurt yourself etc.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Check out a program like Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, I lifted a lot about 10 years ago but lost quite a bit of strength over the years. I started off with 3 sets of 5 reps at 185 (I believe, maybe a bit less like 165) and in 2 months am up to 295!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Stay with it! I started with just the bar and all I could think was "ermagherd I wonder if anyone has ever died by being squished under the bar alone..." Jump ahead about three months and I'm now squatting more than my own weight in plates. And dem booty gainz, lemme tell ya... :wink: