What I learned from my cheat day

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Today is my birthday and I decided to eat whatever I wanted, give in to some of my cravings without for once having to worry about getting hungry later. Probably a dumb idea, but I think I actually learned a lot...

First thing I've learned... it's 3pm, I'm stuffed, and I don't think I'll be able to eat anything more today... first sign of improvement! (granted, I ate probably close to 4000 calories today)
Second thing... nope, some things just are not worth the calories. I got some French fries because I was craving them, and it was good... but not that good that it's worth messing up my day for. Same for the chocolate croissant I had. Even without worrying that I'll be hungry later, it's just not THAT good.
Third thing... overeating is not fun. Actually looking forward to eating reasonably tomorrow.
Fourth thing... cheat days are not worth it... I'll definitely do things better next time and just try to fit one thing within my calorie goal. I have no regret though, most of the things I ate were delicious and I think my cravings are gone for a while now.

Now to spend a couple weeks getting back on track.

What did you learn during your last cheat day?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I also learned that a lot of foods just aren't worth it. I tend to snack mindlessly during days when I decide "calories don't count" and end up eating 2000 calories in silly things alone like cereal and dried fruit. I always look forward to eating healthy again after a binge day!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That was me also. I was planning all along to finish off my cheat day with my favorite ice cream. By the time I finished my meatball sub and fries for dinner that was it, I was done. I think I was probably already in for 3,500 calories at that point. 1,850 calories on non-cheat days.
  • Rachzma
    Rachzma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I actually allow myself 1 cheat day a week. I eat what ever I want. But what I eat on that cheat day now, compared to when I first started this journey, is completely different. I used to stuff myself with all the junk I couldn't eat the rest of the week. Now my eating habits are so different and so second nature, yes I may have those french fries, that my calorie intake on my cheat days is never too outrageous.
  • mynamealex
    Options
    each bite got the same taste
    so instead of filling up my plate
    just take 1-2 spoons of the food suggested

i learned that most time i eat with my eyes

not with what my body really tells me
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I found this out during the holidays...I went over maintenance a couple times and it wasn't fun...

ETA: feeling stuffed and bloated, the food really not being worth it...one maybe or a bit or half of one is good but a whole "thing" or a couple pieces/spoohfuls..

For me the only time it's fun is when it's due to the vodka I am drinking....:drinker:
  • Francl27
    Options
    Oh and yeah... being a bit hungry is nowhere as bad as being stuffed.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Things I "learn" from cheat days......

(1) Some things ARE good enough to be okay with not losing weight for a day or two. Fat Elvis French Toast (french toast stuffed with peanut butter, bacon, and bananas) for one.

(2) It doesn't take weeks to get back on track after taking a cheat day. It takes a single decision, Maybe 1-3 days to lose the water weight depending just how bad/good I was.

Chill out. Enjoy life. Smell the roses, and the bacon, and the fries.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I learned that McDonald's nuggets and french fries are better than I remembered them and that chocolate peanut butter cheesecake is amazing! Haha, also, that everything goes better with beer. Lots and lots of beer.

I don't mind having a "cheat day" and it's not a huge problem for me (granted, I'm currently trying to gain some weight, but this was true for when I was losing). I needed those fun days to keep me from just giving up on losing completely.

Speaking of delicious, high calorie foods, there's a beautiful jar a peanut butter with my name on it...
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I don't do ""cheat"" days :)
  • CoordinatedKate
    CoordinatedKate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sucks because I'm reading your post and all I'm thinking is "cheat days are totally worth it!"

I don't normally do cheat days but I'll do a cheat meal every once in a while. Whenever I hit a plateau and can't seem to get the scale to move I have a cheat meal and then within a day or two I lose almost 2 pounds. Within the 3.5 weeks since I started I've only had one cheat meal though.
  • Chammer1313
    Chammer1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the first time ever in my life of "dieting" I choose not to call them "cheat days" and I no longer ever feel on a diet or restricted. I eat what I want and allow myself to go in the dreaded red on Saturday and Sundays and just restrict my portions more on the week days to even out. It's working so far and I have lost 22 pounds since January. It not that much and I have a long way to go but I am enjoying myself while losing weight and for me that is the key to me sticking to it and feeling motivated. So I guess I have learned in my short time using my mfp are that on my cheat days I don't feel like a cheater anymore I feel in control and motivated!;)
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i don't do cheat days or cheat meals. I just eat within reason. I don't crave anything. I just eat to refuel my body. lots of salad and lean cuisine.

I take it back I do like doritos but won't eat them because it's not worth wasting my calorie budget on something so small.
  • Francl27
    Options
    It sucks because I'm reading your post and all I'm thinking is "cheat days are totally worth it!"

I don't normally do cheat days but I'll do a cheat meal every once in a while. Whenever I hit a plateau and can't seem to get the scale to move I have a cheat meal and then within a day or two I lose almost 2 pounds. Within the 3.5 weeks since I started I've only had one cheat meal though.

Haha I wish that worked for me. My weight has barely moved in 2 weeks... even though I've been eating at a deficit overall.

But yeah, I kinda do have to call this a cheat day when I eat 4000 calories and my goal is 1700. Good thing it only happens twice a year or something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I haven't cheated since i started MFP because I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my weekly calorie goals. For example, I just had a rocky mountain chocolate covered bavarian pretzel and it was delish! I think deprivation leads to bingeing and the old diet mentality leads to cheating.

Don't deprive yourself and get rid of that old diet mentality and things usually work out fine.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I had over a thousand calories of ice cream today & it was so totally worth it.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I haven't cheated since i started MFP because I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my weekly calorie goals. For example, I just had a rocky mountain chocolate covered bavarian pretzel and it was delish! I think deprivation leads to bingeing and the old diet mentality leads to cheating.

Don't deprive yourself and get rid of that old diet mentality and things usually work out fine.

If you had seen my diary, you'd know I never deprive myself, lol. I just tend to get hungry a lot, so there are things that I can't easily fit in my days, because they won't fill me up for the calories. I just figured one day in a year to indulge on those wouldn't hurt (well, except my stomach apparently).
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    totally worth it yum yum :):)
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat day or meals. I am not on a diet, I am on a lifestyle change. Nothing is off limits for me to eat, I just fit it into my calories. I can even go out to eat, but I have to be careful the rest of the day or I will end up way over my calorie limit. I have chocolate every day, because my body craves it. I have pounds of various chocolates in the house, just choosing one each day and fitting into my calories.

It works for me. I no longer will eat several servings of something I like. I stick with one serving, and it makes me happy. This lifestyle change works for me. Find something that will work for you, and get rid of the cheat days.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat day or meals. I am not on a diet, I am on a lifestyle change. Nothing is off limits for me to eat, I just fit it into my calories. I can even go out to eat, but I have to be careful the rest of the day or I will end up way over my calorie limit. I have chocolate every day, because my body craves it. I have pounds of various chocolates in the house, just choosing one each day and fitting into my calories.

It works for me. I no longer will eat several servings of something I like. I stick with one serving, and it makes me happy. This lifestyle change works for me. Find something that will work for you, and get rid of the cheat days.

You are so me, if we have a meal out I have want I want, still making wise choices though and I love a pudding, I then balance it all out on my weekly average, I'll walk an extra mile for a few days. I like a roast most weeks with Yorkshire and thick gravy so I just fit it in.

I wouldn't want to feel I could get into a habit of allowing a binge day, just my personal opinion.
  • M_Garner
    M_Garner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cheat once every two weeks and my cheat meal is always my favorite.... SUSHI....... not TOO bad for you except for all the white rice. Yummmmmmm, cannot wait until I get my hand on some California rolls :)