Macros- not getting it right- should I be THAT worried?

Options
Hi All

Sooo I'm doing well on my weight loss journey and weighing/ logging all foods/ exercises correctly and generally keeping on track.

However I seem to consume LOADS of carbs (sometimes fats) and not enough protein almost everyday (tomorrow only 6% protein!)

The thing is I LOVE bread/ potatos and pasta. And all things sweet!!

I'm quite fussy with some foods, I don't like fish (only fish fingers!!), nuts or eggs and whilst I don't mind chicken I'm not a huge fan and can't eat it all the time!! (Much prefer red meat) which from what I read are the main ways of getting protein.

My question is, as long as I'm hitting my calorie goals should I be THAT concerned about hitting my macros. I'm managing to balance eating all the things I love, which I worry I will give up because I miss If I force myself to hit macros.

My food goal is 1200 cals (I'm 4ft 11in) weighting 130lbs, goal weight- 110ish. I work out maybe 3-4 times an week (mainly cardio but just brought new rules of lifting for women and as soon as I pluck up the courage to enter the very intimidating free weights area I plan on focusing most of my workout times on lifting. I also eat back approx 50% of my exercises cals (although sometimes not on the same day.

If I'm going to start focussing more on lifting do I need to force myself to get more protein? I have thought about protein shakes but this would mean less food and my cals are already low enough.

My diary is also open for any feedback.

Thanks in advance! X

Replies

• angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Getting enough protein is important to help maintain muscle during weight loss it also helps keep you full longer and can help keep your blood sugar levels stable. Id try adding a protein shake or bar
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hitting macros is not as important as overall calories, but I think your macros deserve some attention. If you are starting to lift, protein is going to become more important.

In my opinion, 6% protein is very low. 30% would be a much better situation. Why? While you are losing weight, it helps preserve the muscle mass you have, and it helps keep you fuller, among other benefits.

But for weight loss (indiscriminate), calories is all we care about.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, not really, you'll definitely lose, the problem being you might be losing some muscle along with the fat. That being said, don't be surprised at all if your food preferences begin to change as you start really hitting it hard with the weights. That's at least the way it works for me. If I'm pushing my muscles, they pretty much DEMAND protein and lots of it. I find myself thinking of nothing but bacon and burgers, I guess because that's what my brain equates with protein. So keep an eye on it, but hopefully, you'll find hitting your protein goals more palatable as you get started with lifting.
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your speedy replies!!

To be fair tomorrow's 6% is the lowest it has ever been, weekly I average out to approx 18% which I know is still too low.

I want to focus on overall good health/ balance, espically if I am going to start lifting as I don't want to damage my body in anyway. Think I'll have to look into shakes/ bars to support increasing this (and sacrafice some chocolate to fit it in my calories! Haha)

I'm also going to try different fish to see if there's anything I will eat and try and give eggs another go! (Damn being so fussy with foods!)

Does anyone have any other ideas for foods with high protein?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    1200 cals...let me guess...20-25lbs to lose, 2lbs per week, right?

1) If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    This will get you used to eating something closer to what you need to eat to stay at the weight you want to be, and stop the yoyo dieting.

2) Eat back your exercise calories. You already have a deficit built in to your goal. This will also reward you with more food/energy for working out.
    Use the strength training entry under cardio to get the calories for it. Try to use the actual time you worked out...meaning if you spent 10 minutes waiting for the squat rack, don't count that 10 minutes.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's not such a big deal in weight loss if you don't care how you lose the weight. By not getting enough protein, you'll burn muscle along with that fat. In the end, ending up still jiggly or 'skinny fat'. And if you go to lift, you are for sure going to have to get more protein in. But from looking at your diary, it isn't too bad. There ARE other options for getting in protein. You can do Greek yogurt, milk, cottage cheese... and then there are green things like spinach and broccoli. Or the last one, legumes or quinoa. Just a bit added here or there makes a difference! If you can't do a protein shake, just use the plain and mix a scoop into the things you already use. Or even half a scoop. Or even better, mix a tbsp. or two into two or three things over the day so that you're getting the total at the end of the day but not having to eat it all at once. You might even like a protein bar since some come in really yummy flavors. You can do it without making it a huge, painful ordeal. You might also want to consider upping your cals some when you start lifting. Good luck to you!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey eggs greek yogurt chicken etc. You can also go the pork and beef route (I eat plenty of both), the fat from them is ok too. I honestly do better with a little more on the protein and fat and a little less of the carbohydrates. If you have recipes that use ground beef you can substitute in with ground turkey instead if you're trying to increase your protein intake while keeping your fat levels down.

I also use a protein powder on the days when my protein level needs a little boost, but I try not to use it every day and no more than one serving a day.

ETA: For fish I recommend trying tilapia and shrimp is also an excellent source of protein.
  • samiejones1
    Options

No, I am loosing about 1lb a week (if that) and I am happy with this. As I said, I am very small - 4ft 11) my tdee 1714 so cutting down to 1200 is not unreasonable I don't think (plus I have days I will go over and I don't stress about this)

As I also said I eat back AT least 50% of my exercise calories, sometimes all of them.

My concern is not that I'm not loosing weight quick enough or that I am starving myself., just that I could be hindering my goals (which is to loose a little weight, slowly and tone up/ gain muscle/ be healthy!)

Thanks for all your advice!
  • jjm9499
    jjm9499 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you're trying to change your body composition (build more muscle and lose more fat) then yes, protein is actually critical to the process. My current macro ratios are 30/40/30 (fat/carb/protein)

I can eat just about anything -- I'm not picky-- but trying to reach macros even on my cut value is a challenge. I supplement with protein powder and try to get protein every time I eat (including snacks).

You can get protein from legumes, quinoa. tofu, chia seeds and nut butters. For overall health your carbs should include vegetables and some fruits, alongside bread and potatoes.

I think you'll be pleased with how much simple carbs you can still consume even after adding in sufficient protein and a veg or two at each meal.

Give it a good shot for a few weeks and you may find your cravings for carbs will begin to subside. And drink 8 cups of water every day. Good luck!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, caloric deficit is more important than macros. HOWEVER, to maintain health and overall body functionality, you should still focus on a balanced diet, and adequate protein is important. Too little protein can be dangerous. Besides muscle building, which everyone seems to hold in high regard, protein plays a vital role in you LIVING. Protein is an essential macronutrient, required for essential amino acid uptake and a host of other things. It makes up immune and blood cells, vital bodily hormones and enzymes. Protein is responsible for nerve and muscle signals, and provides the needed structure for vital organs and cells (I'm sure you like having hair).

Increase your protein intake. I'd rather be alive and healthy. Losing weight shouldn't be more important than your health
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options

1) If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    This will get you used to eating something closer to what you need to eat to stay at the weight you want to be, and stop the yoyo dieting.

2) Eat back your exercise calories. You already have a deficit built in to your goal. This will also reward you with more food/energy for working out.
    Use the strength training entry under cardio to get the calories for it. Try to use the actual time you worked out...meaning if you spent 10 minutes waiting for the squat rack, don't count that 10 minutes.
    You sound rather "preachy" in your reply.

Remember that she is 4' 11". It isn't unrealistic to be set at 1200 at that height. I am 5'1" and my base is also set at 1200 calories on a 1lb per week program. I find that I am more than full after eating 1300-1400 calories after my workout burn. Please don't assume that we are starving ourselves on this kind of program.

samiejones: I am Chinese, so I tend to have a lot of pork in my everyday diet because I eat home-cooked Chinese food. Everyday, I hit at least 50% of my protein goals. I don't really like to eat my meat in big pieces, so I cut them up and mix them in a stir-fry. I also eat sandwiches and salads every now and again. Before I joined MFP, I sometimes ate yogurt, cheese, and other dairy products to get a little protein in my diet. However, I am still working on it! I heard that beans are high in protein and are rather cheap to make if you buy them dried!
  • AngieSanchez1
    AngieSanchez1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Samie I don't know much about nutrition, but I am learning a lot as I try to change my eating habits while working on my weight loss goal, but I do know protein is very important to give you the energy you need to keep you going especially if you're going to start lifting. If hitting your protein goal is a challenge, try the Herbalife beverage mix. It's not as expensive as the shakes and you just add a scoop or 2 to your water. 2 scoops contains 15 grams of protein and it tastes good. At least that's been my experience. Good luck!
  • samiejones1
    Options
    Thanks all!

I am defiantly more interested in overall health than just the weight loss. I actually weigh more than it looks like I do (if that makes any sense!) and am not desperately unhappy with my weight at all. I've also given up smoking this year and just overall want to live a healthier, better life!

I actually really like pork, not sure why I never really think to eat it, unless in a Sunday roast! So will defiantly look into more pork dishes.

I also like Greek yoghurt and I eat a ton of fruit so will try incorporating it into that.

Without sounding stupid, what are legumes!?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

I am defiantly more interested in overall health than just the weight loss. I actually weigh more than it looks like I do (if that makes any sense!) and am not desperately unhappy with my weight at all. I've also given up smoking this year and just overall want to live a healthier, better life!

I actually really like pork, not sure why I never really think to eat it, unless in a Sunday roast! So will defiantly look into more pork dishes.

I also like Greek yoghurt and I eat a ton of fruit so will try incorporating it into that.

Without sounding stupid, what are legumes!?

Well... beans. I like navy beans, chickpeas (garbanzos), and pintos (refried, YUM). My husband just mentioned hummus for dipping veggies and crackers. While not as much protein as eating the others, it all adds up! :D You could also eat nuts and seeds, but those are really more fat than protein. Except for like, pumpkin seeds. And those are GOOD roasted!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Some of my protein staples: chicken breast, plain nonfat greek yogurt., cottage cheese, tuna, and pretty much anything else meat. If you need to supplement with some powder, go for it, but it usually isn't hard to get it all with "regular" food.

Try to go for complete protein sources (having all the essential amino acids). Meat, dairy, eggs, fish, and soy I think all meet this requirement. You can get protein from other vegetable sources, but you have to combine things to get all the aminos.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There's way more to protein than chicken and fish. :)

I get 120 grams if I don't use protein shakes or bars. Today was odd as I ended up skipping lunch so I didn't have my tuna.

Greek yogurt and Cottage cheese will give you a ton.

I've been craving sweets and cottage cheese mixed with grapes satisfies that craving so well and it's healthy and high protein.

egg whites is a great low calorie way to up the protein in meals, you can add them to shakes even and they don't change the flavor

Congrats on quitting smoking! I'm smoke free for around 13 years now! It's awesome!
  • Calaus1
    Calaus1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your entry for Friday and there is an entry that is incomplete. You have selected Frankie & Bennys 7oz Rump Steak with Salad and it shows 0 g of protein. Someone has entered this item without putting any of the macro values for it. This is probably because the restaurant web site only shows calories for their dishes. If you look at other entries for rump steak, that amount will have somewhere in the range of 60 g of protein. Also most multi grain breads seem to have 4-5 g per 2 slices and butter has a bit as well. But the entries you are using don't have any protein listed. With those things added in, your protein total will be a bit better than it looks now.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This is a good list of protein sources: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

Personally, I try to have either chicken or fish for my main meal (you could have chicken or red meat), plus bits and pieces of cheese, eggs etc during the day. I always finish my main meal with a bowl of Greek yogurt (make sure it's a high protein kind, they aren't all - I have Fage Total 0%). I don't LOVE the taste, so I usually have a tsp of honey and some berries with it. Since I've been exercising a lot more, I also choose supplement with protein powder and it's worked out to be relatively cost effective.

I also love bread, pasta and anything sweet! I've just had to adjust portion sizes though. It's not about cutting out everything that you love, but if you do want to up your protein, focus on that - eat more protein, and you will have to reduce your carbs a bit to stay within your calorie goal. I'd really recommend making slow, gradual changes that you can live with. My diet is very different now to when I started on MFP, but it has evolved very slowly. Keep eating the things you like to eat, just be mindful of portion size.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also most multi grain breads seem to have 4-5 g per 2 slices and butter has a bit as well. But the entries you are using don't have any protein listed. With those things added in, your protein total will be a bit better than it looks now.
    First time I've seen butter mentioned as a source of protein!
  • Calaus1
    Calaus1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also most multi grain breads seem to have 4-5 g per 2 slices and butter has a bit as well. But the entries you are using don't have any protein listed. With those things added in, your protein total will be a bit better than it looks now.
    First time I've seen butter mentioned as a source of protein!

Yep you're right. The one I looked at had a small amount of protein but just looked again and it was for a large amount of butter. So in the amounts you would be using for toast or something, it wouldn't be enough to matter.