Alternatives to cow's milk?

Options
Ramen237
Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
Hi,

I was wondering what milk product everyone buys (cow, goat, almond, coconut, bean, rice milk etc... these are ones I can think of right now), and if you use different "milk" for smoothies vs. other purposes? What are your reasons for using non-dairy milk products (allergies or otherwise)?

I tend to rotate between 1% and whole milk, just because I like both, but sometimes I need the "skinnier" milk when I want to cut some of the fat/calories out of my food... I tried drinking almond milk and didn't like it. I find coconut milk to be much more palatable. I'm also an occasional goat milk drinker (I grew up drinking it).

Milk is a great source of protein for me, along with other dairy and meat products. But how much protein do these dairy-free alternatives offer? Is it much less? Around the same? ...Dare I say, more? I've never actually compared, but it would be nice to know that I'm not compromising my protein intake by alternating between dairy and non-dairy "milk."

Once again, I don't have dairy intolerance, but for the sake of adventure and variety, thought I'd ask if anyone has any info on this. :wink:

Much appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I really only use milk with my cereal and I use Almond Milk. Honey Bunches of Oats and Almond Milk... mmmmmnnnn...
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I grew up on goat milk and like it to cow milk but I like almond milk way more than goat or cow milk. I also feel better when I use it over animal milk even though I have no milk allergies or any medical reason not to drink it. Hemp milk is pretty good too. I don't really care as much for rice or soy and only like coconut milk for some things.
  • Ramen237
    Options
    I really only use milk with my cereal and I use Almond Milk. Honey Bunches of Oats and Almond Milk... mmmmmnnnn...

idk... Almond milk just doesn't do it for me... I can drink it but not sure I like the nuttiness.
  • NightWriteMermaid
    Options
    There isn't a lot of protein in plant-based milks, but I don't think there's meant to be. I use almond milk for smoothies (the unsweetened variety), and coconut milk in baking. Soy milk in some recipes, but it's few and far between. I don't drink animal milk, but I'm a sucker for Silk's chocolate almond milk. My best friend is addicted to chocolate rice milk.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options

idk... Almond milk just doesn't do it for me... I can drink it but not sure I like the nuttiness.
    Yeah I don't drink it straight up very often, like I mentioned I only use it in cereal, which I think it goes good with.
  • Ramen237
    Options
    I grew up on goat milk and like it to cow milk but I like almond milk way more than goat or cow milk. I also feel better when I use it over animal milk even though I have no milk allergies or any medical reason not to drink it. Hemp milk is pretty good too. I don't really care as much for rice or soy and only like coconut milk for some things.

I have also been noticing that drinking non-dairy milk makes my body feel.... different, in a way. Must experiment more on this :)

Never had hemp milk. Will try!
  • Ramen237
    Options

Yeah I don't drink it straight up very often, like I mentioned I only use it in cereal, which I think it goes good with.

I can imagine it pairs very well with Honey Bunches of Oats, yep!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

OMG YES!
  • katsiano
    katsiano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There isn't a lot of protein in plant-based milks, but I don't think there's meant to be. I use almond milk for smoothies (the unsweetened variety), and coconut milk in baking. Soy milk in some recipes, but it's few and far between. I don't drink animal milk, but I'm a sucker for Silk's chocolate almond milk. My best friend is addicted to chocolate rice milk.

I second the Silk chocolate almond milk suggestion. I use it in my coffee every morning and it's delicious, and I think it tastes way better than any other cows milk chocolate milk out there. My roommate steals my milk every time I have the singles of this one, it's so yummy. My Kroger is ALWAYS sold out of it by the end of the week.
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my cereal/overnight oatmeal. 1/2 cup in my cereal is only about 15 calories. I don't really ever drink milk straight so I don't run into the issues with it being too nutty.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink Soy Silk. The "very vanilla" is my favorite and it comes in a purple and white box. Occasionally I get almond milk, but only for usage with certain cereals. Soy Silk has way more protein and vitamins and stuff than animal milk.
  • Ramen237
    Options
    I drink Soy Silk. The "very vanilla" is my favorite and it comes in a purple and white box. Occasionally I get almond milk, but only for usage with certain cereals. Soy Silk has way more protein and vitamins and stuff than animal milk.

What's the consistency/texture of soy milk? Don't think i've ever had it. Is it grainy at all? You know that texture you get when you mix small particles of stuff with water to get a "milk product" - like rice milk? I don't like that graininess. It would be ok if I didn't drink it straight, I guess. Or if I drank the flavored variety.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hemp, hazelnut, almond and coconut.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant, so I drink lactose free cows milk. :drinker:
  • pitterpatti
    pitterpatti Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Just wanted to clarify that Silk has 6g of protein vs. the 8g of protein in cow's milk, so you're statement isn't entirely true. The protein is natural to the soy but the other stuff is all added whereas in cow's milk it isn't added. Now, personally I can't have cow's milk because I am allergic, but I'm also allergic to soy so I've never had soy milk before.

My mom swears by almond milk or cashew milk since she has gone dairy free, but I'm also allergic to nuts so I don't drink those either. I think rice milk has a weird consistency. I love the creaminess of coconut milk beverage (not the canned stuff) but the coconutty flavor can overpower sometimes. I like hemp milk for general consistency, but my favorite milk is flax milk + protein from GoodKarma. It is creamy, has protein, is full of omegas, as much calcium as cow's milk, and non-GMO.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Totally Almond Milk here.. I hate the taste of regular milk (and it creeps me out). No other reason though, it's perfectly fine for others to drink. They are similar in nutritional value (cept for protein, reg milk wins there...but not by much)

Too bad you don't like the taste though!! I love it.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    my favorites are:
    Westsoy's organic unsweetend vanilla soymilk - I use that in almost everything from cereal to coffee & tea & smoothies

If that's not around, I like vanilla rice milk. Almond milk is all good & okay but the flavor isn't always comparable with everything. Someone made me scrambled eggs with almond milk once & I couldn't help but laugh.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Coconut Almond Milk all the way. But the unsweetened version, because the sugary one grosses me out. That's also why I don't drink milk, but I do eat food made with milk...

I use to try and drink Silk Soy Milk. It took me a while to realize I don't like it. Rice Dream is okay. :drinker:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Proper cows milk (not that whitten water stuff)... nowt wrong with it
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use Alpro unsweetened in my drinks (I like the taste) but dairy in my porridge. I tried cheaper soy milks but it looked curdled like sperm in a hot bath in my tea and coffee :blushing:

I recently tried Almond milk and it was just too watery, tolerable in tea, vile in coffee and worse in porridge - horses for courses I guess!