How often do you weigh yourself

Options
I read that some people weigh themselves daily. Wouldn't that be counter productive?

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on the person and that person's knowledge of and tolerance for daily fluctuation that have nothing to do with their calorie intake but instead are related to components in food, water intake, water retention, exercise-caused water retention, and for women of a certain age, the dreaded monthly bloat.

Some people can handle all of this and weighing in daily keeps them on track. Others can't deal with it and do better weighing in every few days or weekly.

Some of us have obsessive tendencies and need scale breaks now and then. Like me!
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maybe for some people. I personally like having the data (but that is just me). I can look at trends and compare my weight back to my food diary to see what I was eating that made an increase or decrease (i.e. lots of salty foods).

Also, I have a scale that measures body fat % as well as weight and water %. It's been helpful as I've been "stuck" at 190 for a while - however at the same time my body fat %, as well as my measurements (hip, waist, arms, thighs) have all dropped.

For me, it helps me stay on track but that is just me. Weight loss is very personal.
  • littlebirdyxx
    Options
    I only have scales when I visit my parent's home, so roughly once every 4 to 5 months. I found it mentally damaging when I was living at home as a teenager; I was obsessed with the scales, and restricted food. Now I have to stop myself falling into bad habits again when I'm visiting my parents. I find it much more productive to not weigh often, and to just see if I've lost/gained weight by seeing how comfortably a pair of tight jeans fit.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Its only counterproductive if you let the little, very normal fluctuations upset you and sabotage you.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, then take the weight average from the week. I would think it's only counterproductive if one is easily upset by weight fluctuations.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, sometimes more, cause they are in my bathroom and I can't help it :D

I know that it bounces all over the place though, so I only really pay attention to the monday morning, before food and drink, after toilet time, weigh in.

I find it nice to do it through the week as it does slowly drop and I can see I'm going the right way.
    Every now and then I'll have a fat day where I feel huge and like there's no point to what I'm doing, and I'll look at the scales and be like, no look, it is coming off, don't be a dumbass.
    I never panic when it's higher cause I know I'm sticking to this so it's always gonna be water.
  • tara11224
    Options
    Daily. Maybe a bit obsessive I suppose :#
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Every. Damn. Day.

Because I'm neurotic, and because I like monitoring what's happening, whether it's up or down, and I can make adjustments if it's not moving in the direction it ought.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like seeing how different foods affect me. :)
  • trinity5703
    Options
    I weight every few days, mostly to keep myself on track, but I dont record the weight until Ive seen the same number on the scales 3 days in a row.
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Keep a calendar over the scale and track weight. I like to see what foods effect me in what ways. I can almost get an immediate response to what I ate the day before. That being said, I don't get down if the number goes up. If you are the kind of person who will get discouraged over seeing a .2 increase, might be a good idea to NOT weigh everyday!
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Everyday. Twice actually, in the morning and in the evening.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Daily. Like a few people above me said, I like to see the fluctuations and try to figure out what might have caused them. It actually has helped me NOT obsess about the number.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but don't get too upset if its up a bit or too happy if its down. I tried to only weigh once a week but cant fight the urge to see how its going so now I just weigh once in the morning, log it on my journal and move on for the day. I only count it officialy once a week however. it helps me to recognize patterns from the previouse day's food or liquids intake or to see my progress. Weight lluctuates on daily and even hourly basis so I keep that in mind.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week. I record my weight every Sunday but I weigh on Thursday to see how I'm doing if I've gone over I've got 3 days to rein myself in if I'm the same or going down I just keep doing what I'm doing.
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in daily but for me it was counterproductive. Now I weigh in once every 6-8weeks and its working well for me. Going by my clothes and the mirror rather than the scale keeps me if a positive mindset.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I used to weigh and record daily because I wanted to get a feel for my fluctuations. I might weigh randomly through the week now that I'm in maintenance, but I only record it once... Every Monday morning at the same time and in the same configuration.

Some people don't weigh at all and go by measurements, looks, or they way their clothes fit. Find what works for you.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I never owned a scale before, so I'd weigh myself a couple times a year at most (at the doctors, or if i was using the bathroom at someone's house and they had a scale sitting right there- don't look at me like that, I know I'm not the only one who does it!)

But now that I'm trying to lose I bought one and I've been weighing myself everyday- mostly just out of curiosity. It does feel good to see a slightly smaller number almost every time. But I'm only recording my weight once a week- all the daily ups and downs aren't as important to me as the overall trend.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    First thing Friday mornings. I liked it when I stepped on the scales today. 2lbs down! :bigsmile:
  • MaxJAshmore
    Options
    Once a week, on a Friday, before the weekend starts..................... :D