Really Heavy Sweater...Embarrassed

Options
Hi everyone, So I've been on my fitness journey for around 6 weeks, totally changed what and how I eat, and training 3-4 times a week. I have always been a sweater, from doing mundane tasks around the home, or anything vigorous, I get a dab on easily, but if I'm exercising, I get drenched,To me its totally embarrassing, as I seem to be the only one that is drenched I have a towel to wipe my face/arms/neck/chest, and to wipe down the machines, but by the end of my 2h gym sesh, I can literally wring my shirt out, I drink a lot of water throughout the day, and go through 2 750ml bottles while I'm at the gym. I don't feel the cold either, so im asking, is this normal?

Currently 273 lbs, do cardio for 1hour 20 mins, and weights for about 20 mins or so, When doing cardio my HR is at around 160, and always push at the last minute and it rises to 170-175

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    That means you're doing it right. You're a big boy, big boys sweat a lot. Hell, I sweat a lot and I'm half your size. Keep sweating.
  • truebrew
    truebrew Posts: 33
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. I sweat a lot at the gym and I'm not embarrassed at all. It shows you are actually working out, getting the heart rate up, pushing it and doing something. Not like the walkers and slackers. Ive had people tell me they see me and are inspired. Sweating is good. Wear it as a badge of honor. Good luck.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater too. Always have been.

I keep a towel near by to wipe myself and my treadmill/bench down when I'm working out...heck, I even have a sweatband that I wear to try to keep it from running into my eyes.

Keep up the hard work and making those great changes - sweat is just as natural as farts and burps. No shame in it- keep the equipment clean after you are done and no one will be bothered by you getting your sweat on.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, So I've been on my fitness journey for around 6 weeks, totally changed what and how I eat, and training 3-4 times a week. I have always been a sweater, from doing mundane tasks around the home, or anything vigorous, I get a dab on easily, but if I'm exercising, I get drenched,To me its totally embarrassing, as I seem to be the only one that is drenched I have a towel to wipe my face/arms/neck/chest, and to wipe down the machines, but by the end of my 2h gym sesh, I can literally wring my shirt out, I drink a lot of water throughout the day, and go through 2 750ml bottles while I'm at the gym. I don't feel the cold either, so im asking, is this normal?

Currently 273 lbs, do cardio for 1hour 20 mins, and weights for about 20 mins or so, When doing cardio my HR is at around 160, and always push at the last minute and it rises to 170-175

I also sweat tonnes. It can be embarrassing but it's also normal and healthy to sweat. Excessive sweating can be caused by lots of factors: genetics, medication, weight gain, diet or a number of medical conditions. Check it out with your doctor first.

What you describe sounds very similar to my experience. To manage excess sweating I usually take two towels to the gym and bring an extra shirt to change into between exercises. Wear dark clothes, too, so sweat is less obvious to others. And of course dose up on the antiperspirant. Find a brand with aluminium since this will keep you driest (although some people do worry about potential health effects from aluminium in deodorants so just be sure you've made an informed decision). If it does become a significant problem you can investigate botox injections to paralyse certain sweat glands. Overall, though, the best thing is to just manage your embarrassment. I'm sure other people will be looking at you at the gym thinking "wow, that guy is doing such an impressively vigorous workout". At least that's what I tell myself :tongue:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I would rather sweat a lot than no sweat at all.

People would look at you at the gym and assume, wow, that guy went really hard and there's no shame or blame in that!!!! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Sweat washes off.

Fat doesn't.

No shame in sweating a lot as long as you clean up after yourself.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    My son, who is a physical phenomenon, sweat. a lot too. He is going to a doctor well versed in self hypnosis and self relaxation. He helped my son with his form of Tourette's. No more tics, etc. Might want to look him up.

I know how it sounds but it really helped our son when they wanted to medicate the hell out of him.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I inherited that same trait from my father! I am the only girl in my Body Combat classes with a towel, sweat rolling down my red face. All I care about now is that I am working hard, getting rid of the fat in my body when I sweat and feel great after a workout knowing I worked really hard.
    Be proud of all that sweat!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Wow, two hours at the gym? I think I'd rather die, especially if over half of that consisted of cardio. Blech! But hey, good for you! :)

I'd say it's normal and there's no reason to be embarrassed. My sister-in-law's boyfriend always has sweat stains in the pits of his shirt - ALWAYS! Outside, inside, hot, cold, active, sedentary. And he's not overweight at all. He's just always been like that. People poke fun at him, but he doesn't seem to care.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old female, about 10 pounds overweight and I sweat. All. The. Time. At the gym I don't mind, even when I finish on the treadmill and my shorts are literally dripping sweat.

I do get embarassed at times like when I was Maid of Honor in a wedding in Mexico and sweat was honestly dripping off my face and everyone else was just "glistening".

At the gym - who cares. Do your thing. I've never complained about a sweaty person at the gym - only the people who don't wipe down the cardio machines after said sweat session :)

keep up the good work!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that big but unless my shirt is wet when I'm done working out, I don't feel like I've worked out.

Keep an old towel nearby, unless your gym has a towel service (that's a life saver!) and remember to keep hydrated. Next time you're at the gym, look around. I bet you see others drenched in sweat too.

Keep sweating! :drinker:
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I went on a class trip with my son's 6th grade class and we went hiking up into bluffs and such, he turned asked me if I could not sweat so much. I said ya, sure, I can just turn it off when I want.

and don't be embarrassed especially while working out. like I've hear the saying...."sweat is fat crying" so sweat away!
  • SS_86
    SS_86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Same thing here...actually feel the need to let people know I'm sweaty before it happens and they're surprised! lol

In the gym, I don't care much - expect when I'm dripping all over and no one else is (including the big boys!)...I just try to keep in mind to wipe everything down. I've had Trainers who are surprised by how fast I start sweating! lol I've learned it's just who I am. I find wearing actual workout clothes (proper materials) rather than plain cotton shirts, for example, really helps me.

In everyday life, I deal with it with super deos and a change of shirt if needed. I'm concious of wearing light coloured blouses, etc. I consider botox for my armpits - but am afraid to know where else it will come from.

My stats are similar to you: very active, although a "big girl" and drink a lot of water everyday! I'm actually sweaty right now from walking to the office! haha

Good luck - just let it be. It's part of you and those who love you won't judge! :) Good luck!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Some people just sweat a lot, it shows you're really working out.

I barely sweat, and after a workout my cheeks are all flushed, but not a lot of sweat, and I get embarrassed that it looks like I've barely broken a sweat.

Just keep going :)
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It's actually a very good sign that you have a high functioning cardiovascular system!! Embrace the sweat…. and pass the towels! :)
  • cfsmith60
    cfsmith60 Posts: 13
    Options
    Another one on the "I sweat a lot" bandwagon. Totally normal for some, me included. You're not alone on this at all. I've never felt self-conscious about it, though, and I'm almost happy when I'm sweating as it tells me I'm doing something physical.

Stay hydrated, grab an extra towel if you need to, and keep at it!

-c
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Sweating means you're actually doing something, not just "phoning it in." Keep it up.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweater and so are both of my kids. Like others have said...at the gym who cares? I use a towel (sometimes 2) and if I'm not going right home afterwards I bring a change of tops. My son is in great shape and sweats a ton. He has to hang his clothes to dry after working out because it looks like he wore them in the shower. It does stink (and get embarrassing) at times, but a dermatologist told me that it's great for your skin. It sounds like you are drinking water to replace the fluid you are losing. I don't think anyone at the gym is bothered by sweat unless someone leaves it in a puddle on a machine you want to use. Good for you for working to get yourself healthy!
  • ldarlener
    ldarlener Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a "you know" at a revival meeting.
    I wear a sweat band on my head, keep a towel handy.
    Then after 45 minutes on the elliptical, ALL my clothes are soaked.
    I take it to mean I'm doing ok.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a "you know" at a revival meeting.
    I wear a sweat band on my head, keep a towel handy.
    Then after 45 minutes on the elliptical, ALL my clothes are soaked.
    I take it to mean I'm doing ok.

I'd sweat at a revival meeting as well. I'd chalk it up to Hell's brimstone and fire, though.