HRM or Fitbit/Jawbone???

I was just wondering what people are using for accurate cal counting? I was debating on getting a Polar HRM but then I see lots of people using FitBit or Jawbone Up? Any pros and cons? Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    A HRM is used for workouts only. It will not give you calories burned over the course of a day. The calorie estimation formulas are also based on steady state cardio, so depending on your workout there may be variation in the accuracy. Intervals will be less accurate. For most strength training, aside from circuit training, it will not be accurate.

I am not totally familiar with the FitBit or Jawbone Up but my understanding is they are better for overall calorie estimates but less accurate for the actual exercise portion.

With any of these, there is always a degree of error. None will be exact. I guess it depends more on what exactly you are looking for.
  • Thank you!!! That's pretty much the explanation I was looking for. Was looking for something that will also track resting cals burned, chasing toddlers throughout the day and short bursts of weight training. I'm guessing a fitbit will work out better for me.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    I agree with 3dogsrunning and would add, it may depend on what your goals are. If your main goal is calorie expenditure the FitBit is what you want. If your goal is to increase your overall fitness level -- which would/should/could include heart rate zone training - then you need a HRM. I know health/fitness enthusiast that use both. Swapping out the FitBit during zone training.

I personally only have a HRM and am completely satisfied and a little obsessed with having it. During times when I have exercised without it - I feel lost. I'm a little OCD that way. =)
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    I have both a FitBit and a polar FT4.

Obviously I wear the fitbit throughout the day but it's not very accurate for workouts so I just remove it and use my HRM for calorie burn, then add it in.

I also have it linked to myfitnesspal account so I know exactly what I'm doing and what I should be eating.

I could easily live without the fitbit though, but my HRM not so. Both however have helped me so much to achieve my goals.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I have both a Fitbit Flex & a Jawbone UP24. They show you your TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator.

Activity trackers track step-based activity. Non-step workouts (like spinning or swimming) can be logged either in the tracker or in MFP. I find the trackers' burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    I use a Polar Loop as a pedometer and a Polar H7 heart rate monitor. I only log calories burned from the heart rate monitor during cardio. I use the Polar Loop pedometer to ensure I am not being to lazy during the rest of the day.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    I use FitBit Flex 24/7 and a Polar FT4 HRM for when I'm doing something other than walking (I keep the FitBit on during workouts just so I can get credit for the steps I take). I then log the other exercise manually and it will over-write the calorie burn in FitBit for that time period so I can see a better picture of my TDEE.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Bear in mind that there is a generation of fitness trackers coming, like the Basis. http://www.mybasis.com/
  • So my scenario is work at home mom, two toddlers, can't really do serious long-term cardio workouts. They are more short bursts - 30 minutes here, 10 minutes there. Just started incorporating short bursts of kettlebell workouts and zone training. But usually only 10/15 mins at a stretch because two kids are in my face all the time. So with that, I do want to measure my calories burned during these activities. Fitbit or HRM? What would be best? I'm seriously flip flopping. :)
  • jedwards7425
    jedwards7425 Posts: 38 Member
    Will you have time to put on the HRM every time you have a burst? The FitBit Flex is on your wrist all day. To me that is the way to go. If you are going to do cardio like a long walk or run, that is when you use the HRM.
  • Will you have time to put on the HRM every time you have a burst? The FitBit Flex is on your wrist all day. To me that is the way to go. If you are going to do cardio like a long walk or run, that is when you use the HRM.

That makes sense. If I have just a few minutes before the kids or boss get me, I may not have time to put on the HRM.