I can't stop binging

Options
I feel like I have tried everything, counting calories, not having snacks in the house, walking instead of eating. I just always end up finding something and eating all of it. I have been trying to get myself to go to some kind of counseling because I really think it's some kind of depression or eating disorder but I keep canceling the appointments because sometimes I just feel like I can handle it...and then lose it again.

Every day starts out fine and by the end of the day I feel like **** and eat everything. I had lost 20 pounds last summer from exercising but gained it all back and then some from this stupid binging. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Does therapy really help? Are there other options?

Replies

• RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Taking care of your mind is just as important as taking care of your body. I binge when I'm stressed, sad or bored. Things that have helped me keep the binges at bay are to STOP focusing on the limitations and start focusing on what I GET TO eat. That being said, I still indulge and have a fast food breakfast sammich or a bourbon but in moderation.

First off, be nicer to yourself. Start a little self-love and understand that your weight is not your self-worth. Second, figure out what your binge-ing triggers are, make note of them and try to keep your hands busy (ie paint your nails, read a book, look at success stories on MFP, write about your day/feelings).

I hope what I've said has helped you some.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Every day starts out fine and by the end of the day I feel like **** and eat everything. I had lost 20 pounds last summer from exercising but gained it all back and then some from this stupid binging. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Does therapy really help? Are there other options?

If you are concerned you may have an eating disorder, by all means, seek help. :)

Aside from that, though, are you eating healthily throughout the day or are you starving yourself which will make you more susceptible to binging later on? How many calories per day are you allowing yourself? What are your current stats, weight, height and what are your goals? Maybe you need to lighten up through the rest of the day so you aren't so at risk for a binge in the evenings.
  • alexiswilliamzz
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, I never really thought to see what triggers them, I will try that and just being kinder to myself. I do have another counseling appointment scheduled and hopefully that can lead to some kind of breakthrough with this all.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    What really jumps out at me is that you set up a counselling appointments but then cancel. That is the kind of thing I'll do when I'm really feeling my anxiety. Anxiety is a lying saboteur. Things will not get worse if you go to counselling and talk about the fact that you binge. They won't commit you to an institution or make you take pills or force you to do anything. But it sounds like you have realized you have a problem that you want solved. So try a counsellor. You can go once and then never again if that's what you want. It might help to write out what you want to talk about and questions you have, and then bring that with you when you go.
    Good luck!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? Does therapy really help? Are there other options?

Nothing. You have habits that you have developed over the years and they are hard to break. So much of weight loss is changing your thoughts and attitudes about eating, and those are the hardest! I have found that distraction and busy work keep me from having enough down time to grab snacks. Seriously. I believe idle hands are the devils work...ermmm, well they tend to wander to food at least. So when I get urges to eat, I go for a short walk, or drink flavored water, or chew gum, or change things around to work on something else. It doesn't always work, but it does help most of the time.

The good news is that from what I have read, breaking habits and changing habits can start in as little as 4 weeks of practice, but might take years to fully grab hold. So that means if you can keep making the better choice not to binge, and you can do it over time, you will start wanting to binge less. But it also means, if you let yourself slip into old habits - those comfortable habits - you have to start back a bit. You usually won't slip all the back, so even if you make a few mistakes and get yourself back on track quickly, you are progressing.

Just keep the faith in yourself! Don't worry if things aren't linear in life (like you give up something and will never have it again) because not much in life is ever like that.

Hopefully something in there might help you, but there are always professionals to talk with too...just to get yoy heading in the right direction.

All the best Alexis.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! I would take every day as it comes. Try and not have them trigger foods around you. I know its easier said than done, but when I have the chocolate, cake, biscuits, crisps etc. I start having one, then I go back, and go back until I have eaten the whole bloody packet, then I think oh well, I have messed up today, I will be good tomorrow... But then the same happens?

Does this happen to you?

I think you should set yourself some mini goals... Go out and buy a lovely little dress or outfit you would like to fit into and that could be your motivation! Make that call to your therapist.... And GO!!! Don't cancel it! You will feel so much better after trust, they are there to HELP you, HELP you feel so much better and happier in your own skin!

I know exactly how you feel, but the only person who can stop this happening is YOU. You control what goes into your mouth. My eating has been poor the last 6 months, but I know why, I haven't been happy in myself, relationship break ups, stress etc... Then it affects your eating patterns... But when you eat healthier, You feel amazing!!!

You can do this, I have so much hope in you, and I think get help now sooner rather than later!

If you can put your mind to it, you can do anything : )

Big hugs... Sometimes you just need a big cuddle xxx
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about food....
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options

Easy said than done... huh???
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Yeah, this person believes that overweight people are overweight purely due to a lack of willpower. Have a look at his previous posts, they are something to be marvelled at.

OP, you do need to see someone, so stop cancelling your appointments. You can try and help yourself in the meantime, though. Set yourself a small weight loss goal per week rather than too much too soon. Log everything, including your binges. Keep a diary; write down how you feel and what you are doing when you feel the need to binge. Are you bored? Stressed? Miserable? Hungry? The professionals can help you get to the root of the problem, but giving them as much information as possible will definitely help.

Lastly, stop being so hard on yourself. I know how easy it is to hate yourself because you binge, but negative feelings towards yourself is not going to help you. If anything, it will make it worse. There's nothing wrong with you. It's more common than you think, I promise.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    What really jumps out at me is that you set up a counselling appointments but then cancel. That is the kind of thing I'll do when I'm really feeling my anxiety. Anxiety is a lying saboteur. Things will not get worse if you go to counselling and talk about the fact that you binge. They won't commit you to an institution or make you take pills or force you to do anything. But it sounds like you have realized you have a problem that you want solved. So try a counsellor. You can go once and then never again if that's what you want. It might help to write out what you want to talk about and questions you have, and then bring that with you when you go.
    Good luck!

This. You sound overwhelmed. Force yourself to follow through with your appointment and hopefully your counselor can help you find coping strategies for that as well as for your eating issues. They might be related anyway.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Yeah, this person believes that overweight people are overweight purely due to a lack of willpower. Have a look at his previous posts, they are something to be marvelled at.

OP, you do need to see someone, so stop cancelling your appointments. You can try and help yourself in the meantime, though. Set yourself a small weight loss goal per week rather than too much too soon. Log everything, including your binges. Keep a diary; write down how you feel and what you are doing when you feel the need to binge. Are you bored? Stressed? Miserable? Hungry? The professionals can help you get to the root of the problem, but giving them as much information as possible will definitely help.

Lastly, stop being so hard on yourself. I know how easy it is to hate yourself because you binge, but negative feelings towards yourself is not going to help you. If anything, it will make it worse. There's nothing wrong with you. It's more common than you think, I promise.

Yeah, spend your precious time on looking at other previous posts to prove an opinionated point right. Give me strength.

And just in case it matters you are actually wrong. I have previously stated many reasons why people are overweight, most prominently bad excuses, ignorance and large portion size.

But lack of willpower is why people cant lose weight. That is just common sense. If they had something to say no, then they wouldnt do it, right? Or do you too need to go and see someone about that one?
  • eldamiano
    Options

But it is the most direct approach. What is wrong with that?
  • samyadas
    samyadas Posts: 9
    Options
    stay busy and empty house of ****anything**** you binge on. matter of fact, only keep food in house that you have to cook and/or produce/fruits. i don't think anyone binges on baked chicken and brocolli. seek help. cognitive therapy might be something you want to look into.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    the counseling or a support group will definitely help you but I suggest you do a fridge and pantry make over. have youself some cut up celery in a baggie and have it with salsa (its good really) or a eat a can of vegies if you are feeling muchcy. or things like this. I get snacky-ish too and having go to snacks like vegies or popcorn or something to grab helps. I also try to drink some flavored hot tea as a snack when I want something. Don't derprive yourself but have better things to eat. If you have trigger foods in the house- get rid of them. IF you just want to binge then go crazy on a big salad with tons of lettuce and vegies and salsa. or vegies with salsa.. ( I like salsa as you can tell) nobody every got fat off of vegies. stay strong

and when all else fails go for a walk when instead of stuffing your face. tell yourself you can have it after you chug a big glass of water and get your walk in. I bet you wont even want it after your walk most times.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Yeah, spend your precious time on looking at other previous posts to prove an opinionated point right. Give me strength.

And just in case it matters you are actually wrong. I have previously stated many reasons why people are overweight, most prominently bad excuses, ignorance and large portion size.

But lack of willpower is why people cant lose weight. That is just common sense. If they had something to say no, then they wouldnt do it, right? Or do you too need to go and see someone about that one?

Actually, I recognise you from another equally opinionated and ridiculous post. Believe me I don't need to go through your profile.

So what you are basically saying, is that binge eating disorders don't exist. Picking fun at people's need to see a counsellor, too? Aren't you just a peach.
  • SB4Hope
    SB4Hope Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If only stop thinking about it ever works. Seems like when I think that, that is all I can think about whether it be food or anything else bothering me.

I agree with the walk and big glass of water. You do have to get your mind switched to something different. You may not stop thinking about it completely, but at least with the walk and water, you will be filling that spot with something better than the cookies or cake. Keeping your hands busy too is good - painting your nails or working outside in the dirt. Who wants to eat if they have dirt in their nails or fresh polish on them?

I also agree with emptying your house of any easy snacks. Unfortunately, I still have kids at home so I have to have easy snacks for them between school, sports, and work. I have found that if they keep it in their rooms, I don't usually go in there looking for it. That helps to keep it out of the kitchen.

Keep up the good work you have done and don't get down. Try to stay positive each day and make it better than the day before.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've always had this same problem, and I do still struggle with it but have gotten better. For me, I realized that I was trying to metaphorically fill a specific emptiness (emotionally) that I was feeling at the time. Taking time to stop and think about what I'm really feeling and why I'm feeling the need to fill up on food has helped me significantly. I'm not perfect and do still have binge days, but being aware of this tendency and focusing on more positive ways to fill the emptiness is helping. I stop to think, what do I feel is missing in my life right now? Am I feeling down about something? For example, if I stop and realize that I'm just feeling lonely, then rather than turning to food, I call up a friend and make plans to hang out or go for a walk or something. And journaling has helped me, too - I can get my thoughts out on paper and then go back to re-read them the next time I feel that way.

*Edit to fix typo.