How hungry do you need to feel?

Options
So, here is my question:

How hungry do you need to feel to have a successful weight loss, that is sustainable, without big binges?

I could describe the hunger that i usually feel on a spectrum.
on one end, there would be “Not really hungry, could not eat cottage cheese, but would eat something (ice cream definitely), on the other end there would be “headache, stomach growling, shaking, sweating”, and anything in between.

Yesterday, i ate almost 1800kcal, and by bedtime my stomach was growling and i had headache so i took a painkiller for that. i did not want to be over 1800kcal so i did not eat more. by the morning my clothes were wet and i was sweaty and had restless sleep. I did not feel better in the morning actually i felt unwell and ill, but was not really hungry. I still have dull headache at the back of my head and its 2.30pm now.

I am insulin resistant, my blood sugar is around 6 (fasting) in the morning, had blood test and its whats written on it. OGTT test showed blood sugar rose to 9.7 and stayed for the whole of the 2hours of the test duration. after the test i felt terribly ill until evening, shaking, headache very strong but dull,flat.
I think i am pre-diabetic however no medication is prescribed to it other than metformin 500mg/day, only insulin resistance is diagnosed. i was only told to lose weight.
I am 24yrs, 5 5 tall, and 244lbs.

I do not know what to do i am afraid to feel that ill again. so how hungry is normal when dieting?

I would appreciate any advice.

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Since you have a medical issue, seek your doctor's help. He or she can point you to a solution that's appropriate for you. Sure, I get hungry sometimes, but not to the extent of feeling faint or ill.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You should never be so hungry that you feel sick. If you can't up your calories and still lose weight, consider reducing calories a bit during one or two meals and having a snack right before bed. I avoid hunger by working in a snack a couple of hours after dinner.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I would appreciate any advice.

You could open your diary and make it public if you'd like more specific advice. But here goes:

(1) TELL YOUR DOCTOR THAT YOU FELT THAT SICK
    (2) You may need to be more stingy on what you "spend" your calories on. 1800 is a lot of calories. If you spread it out throughout the day on nutrient dense food, that should be enough to prevent hunger pains that are so bad you have a headache.

Just for instance, maybe you need to make sure you're not drinking any of your calories (as in, don't drink fruit juice, eat some actual fruit. And definitely don't drink sodas with calories).

Edit to add: I lost 100 lbs without ever being hungry for one minute. I was never, ever hungry. If I was indeed hungry, I ate something. I just chose WHAT I ate very, very carefully.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You should never be hungry to the point of sickness. That is doing you no good. You have to listen to your body. another 100 calories wouldn't have hurt you.

You should definitely discuss this with your doctor and maybe consult a nutritionist.

How often are you exercising?
    How often do you eat?
    Are you trying to stick to 3 meals a day?
    What time do you eat dinner and what time do you go to bed?
    Maybe you need to spread your calories out differently.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a blood sugar issue to me too. Doctor first.

In general, I have found that an occasional rush of light-headed-ness with some minor hunger pangs here and there is the "zone" I need to be in to see progress. 97.5% of the time I feel just fine.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

!Coke! big mistake i know! i am trying to cut it down i used to drink 2l/day! :sad:

I only walk as exercise, i walk every day about 30-60mins i don't log it, only yesterday i found 'walking mod. space' in the database. i walk to/from station to work, and generally i walk i would say quite a lot.

I like big breakfast, when i am home i eat throughout the day, when i am at uni or work i eat every 4-5hours. i like late dinners too, max 10pm and i go to bed around midnight-1am.

To reply to the first post, yes i sought professional help and i got the recommendation "lose weight!" and no medication. i went to 4doctors in 2 different countries. i was also recommended following a 1200kcal diet, however yesterday i was hungry with 1800kcal so i certainly do not want 1200kcal/day. i have proof its written down by a obstetrician.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

In general, I have found that an occasional rush of light-headed-ness with some minor hunger pangs here and there is the "zone" I need to be in to see progress. 97.5% of the time I feel just fine.

Pretty much this. None of what the OP described sounded 'normal' or familiar to me which makes me think it is indeed a health concern related to the issues OP has.

I've been eating between 1300-1400 calories for most of the last year, I am a 5'8" woman and for me this hasn't been a problem. I did have a few experiences with feeling "hangry" (hungry/angry/out of sorts) by 5:30 PM when I was eating a smaller 300-cal lunch so I started upping it to 400-500 and I'm good. Like others mentioned, don't drink calories and if you really do need to spread out your meals more to avoid nighttime hunger, give it a shot.

Good luck, OP!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

There's no judgement here. This is a judgement free zone.

I know you enjoy the regular coke. But instead of the regular coke, you could for now try to drink something with fewer calories. You're doing a good job, and everyone is proud of you. But that 250 calories could have gone to food that would nourish you could have eaten a big healthy snack closer to bedtime. And you probably wouldn't have felt so sick. This is an obvious choice, in my opinion:

Drink coke, feel like *kitten* at the end of the day. vs. Not drink coke, have 250 calories left at the end of the day for a snack that will fill my belly.

I know what choice I personally would make. I love Mountain Dew. Drank a 2L every day for a year. Went from 180 to 240 lbs. I wonder why?

Also, walking every day is a great way to start getting healthy, so keep it up! Great job so far taking control of your health!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. that seems more of a medical question than a general weight loss and healthy lifestyle question but... for me... I get little twinges.... where I feel like I might be sort of hungry... but I typically eat every 3 hours or so... so generally if its not time to eat... or its after dinner... I'll drink some water or hot tea and it'll go away. I also notice after eating something sugary... it makes it worse... like say after my mid-morning snack which is usually fruit... so I definately know to ignore those "twinges" and drink some water... and I'm fine.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

I know you enjoy the regular coke. But instead of the regular coke, you could for now try to drink something with fewer calories. You're doing a good job, and everyone is proud of you. But that 250 calories could have gone to food that would nourish you could have eaten a big healthy snack closer to bedtime. And you probably wouldn't have felt so sick. This is an obvious choice, in my opinion:

Drink coke, feel like *kitten* at the end of the day. vs. Not drink coke, have 250 calories left at the end of the day for a snack that will fill my belly.

I know what choice I personally would make. I love Mountain Dew. Drank a 2L every day for a year. Went from 180 to 240 lbs. I wonder why?

Also, walking every day is a great way to start getting healthy, so keep it up! Great job so far taking control of your health!

Agreed! I gave up pretty much any kind of beverage that has calories (except my daily 5oz glass of wine) because it's not worth it... I'd rather have food! Now, if I drink a soda (Diet Coke) it makes me REALLY sick! That carbonation isn't good for you... and it'll actually make you MORE hungry... that should definately be an area you look at cutting.
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You are diabetic? You need to cut out the sugary sodas. Coke Zero or Diet Coke if you need soda. I do Coke Zero. No calories and no sugar. You also seem to eat a lot of sugary sweets like ice cream and candy bars. They too are loaded with sugar that you should not be eating as a diabetic. You should really consider tracking your sugar if you are trying to beat diabetes.

I feel your pain. I am trying to lose weight and get healthy at the same time. I have been gone from here for too long. Had a very rough year last year but I am picking up the pieces and moving on. I too am pre-diabetic. I also have high blood pressure. When you have health issues you really have to just take a moment, step back and think. Do you want to eat sweets? Or do you want to get rid of diabetes? An occasional sweet treat is not bad. Occasional means special occasions like holidays, birthdays, or anniversaries. Not every day. Not once a week. Diabetes is reversible if you are willing to do the work. There are some foods that I love but I am not willing to live off of medications for the rest of my life. I am taking back control of my life. I will lose the weight. I will get off the medications. And I will be healthy again. You just have to get your mind right about where you are and where you want to be.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I looked back to April 1st and every day your carbs are high. I would say add more protien to your diet and cut the carbs a bit. Also a lot of your calories are coming from soda - I guess you have to decide whether or not the soda is worth giving up those extra calories when you could be having food. Also since the begining of the month your sodium has been over every day but one so you may want to start watching that.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I opened up my diary.

Love this, love an extra 250 calories in my belly more!!!! :-)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry except at appropriate times. If this is a huge issue for you...first see your doctor, of course. You may need to overhaul your diet plan, but making sure you're healthy to do so comes first.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A couple of possibly easy changes (?):

Eat leaner meats and more vegetables. For example, 6 ounces of grilled/roasted chicken breast with a BIG side of a non-starchy vegetable (spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, peppers, romaine) and 1/2 cup of brown rice would probably be more volume and more sustaining for the same amount of calories. This meal would be about 300-350 calories.

On a 1,200 calorie diet I eat 6 times a day. Two "bigger" meals that use up about 50% of my calories. The other 50% is divided equally between the other 4 "meals". I'm eating every 2.5-3.5 hours and I'm usually not hungry. This helps to keep sugar levels even rather than having spikes around big meals.

My mom is diabetic and completely controls her sugar levels my reducing carbs/sugars and when eating a carb it needs to be natural and nutrient rich (sweet potato, long-grain rice, oatmeal). ALWAYS pair protein and carbs together. Your body will process carbs "better" if it is paired with a protein.

I do a lower carb/higher protein diet and some days I struggle to eat my calories because vegetables have TONS of nutrients, take up a lot of space, and when paired with a protein the fiber will keep you full for a long time. I'm not talking a NO carb diet. Just lower carbs and those carbs from nutrient rich sources.

Following this approach, I'm 60 pounds lighter than my heaviest weight.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

This. I'm hypoglycemic. (so are my sisters)
    Sometimes if I don't eat/snack every few hours, my blood sugar will get VERY low. Headaches, shaking, irritability, etc. Sometimes if I waited too long, I would easily binge on god knows what so I stop feeling like garbage.
    Choosing what to eat to maintain it isn't that difficult: high protein followed by a carb. Greek yogurt, nuts, protein bars, and things like that.
    But getting busy at work and forgetting a snack, eating lunch late, or working out when I'm feeling low will hit me like a ton of bricks.
  • vibhorka
    vibhorka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here. I think you are on a low/high blood glucose level roller coaster. I have been through them, because I am a diabetic, and did not know how to manage it.

I know you said you are diagnosed as insulin resistant, and MOST PROBABLY you were diagnosed as such because your morning/fasting blood glucose level was higher than 6.5, which then would also follow with Metformin medication. If you just google that, you will see that it has to do with your liver (as in most cases).

The easiest thing to do, as I do now, is to reduce the amount of foods that are high in sugar like COKE, Ice Cream etc. This is just to help you manager your glucose (sugar) levels. Please try sugar free drinks instead.

Also, you don't need to be on a 1200 cal diet. You can follow MFP guidelines, and just make sure you balance your food with protein, Carbs (more veggies like greens, squash, eggplant etc), you can of course have rice or pasta or whatever, but you will have to learn by trial and error, as to what is good amount for you to avoid sugar spikes. And also, fat is not bad if its in balance.

Finally, make sure you keep in mind that if you work out even a walk, it will bring your sugar levels DOWN. and which results in those shakings, headaches and an intense feeling to EAT. So again, have something ready to eat that is balanced to avoid that.

You can send a friend request, and I can certainly try to offer suggestions to help you. Also, you can join the Type 2 group on MFP. Lots of good information there.

Good luck, and please do not Give up. Reducing your weight will be the MOST effective tool against insulin resistance.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I judge.. hahaha

Definitely talk to your doctor about the issues.. but about your diary

1.. More Protein and Fiber!! This will help you feel full longer

2. Don't Drink your calories

3. Eat Dinner later to reduce being hungry at night

4. Switch to diet soda.. I mean Sunday was a Soda filled day.. you could of had like 2 more chorizo's
  • gmgrinkevich
    gmgrinkevich Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lots of fair advice. one trick that i use to trick my stomach is to drink a lot of water, it really helps you feel like your not hungry and helps with weight loss to boot! water and snap peas(10-15) are generally enough to stave off hunger for me (snap peas are bitter and do well to put you off an appetite when combined with a 2-4 cups of water.)

that works for hunger pains, but not shaky hands blurred vision and general exhaustion. those just come with the territory of a caloric deficit and hard workouts, as your body acclimates these symptoms seem less sever.

At least that's the way I experience it.

Best of luck to you stay strong.
  • fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So, I rang the GP just now. I told the receptionist on the phone that i would like to talk to someone about my diet as i started dieting. I was asked "Whose diet are you following?" and i said i just reduced my calories and i record what i eat in an online database. I was told "You need to talk to them then, ok? bye".
    This is British NHS!!