Sodium

Options
Hi guys just a quick question, when I add salt to ' my foods ' it measures in mg? Most packets when I add my foods say grams so how much salt do I add for say for example 2 grams? How much Is that In mg? better yet how much mg is in 1gram of salt?

Thanks people ;)

Replies

• jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The mg usually refers to how much sodium is in it, not the actual measurement of food.

1g = 1000mg.

HOWEVER, 1g of salt does not have 1000mg of sodium. It is closer to like 390mg.

Google salt nutrition facts to see what I mean.

EDIT: something like salt, is one of the few things that is honestly better measured using measuring spoons than weight, but that is just my opinion. The amount you use is so light that it will be hard to get an accurate measurement on a scale that isn't in a science lab.
  • Red_Dwarf74
    Red_Dwarf74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi and thank you for your reply. I cannot measure salt in foods that Is already in the food with a measuring spoon because Its already in the food prior to cooking.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If it is already in the food... what is your question? Sodium is calculated for you in MFP. I'm not trying to be mean but I genuinely don't understand what you are asking then.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    2 grams is 2000mg.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you google "Sodium in X g salt" Google will give you the amount of sodium at the very top.
  • Red_Dwarf74
    Red_Dwarf74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and sorry for the confusion :(