Never done any strength training

Options
So where do I begin?! Before putting on the weight, I did cardio and pilates/yoga fairly regularly. But never did any strength training :( I'd like to change that ASAP. Advice?? Thanks!

Replies

• dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am bumping cause my husband is buying me a gym membership and I have no clue where to begin.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    So where do I begin?! Before putting on the weight, I did cardio and pilates/yoga fairly regularly. But never did any strength training :( I'd like to change that ASAP. Advice?? Thanks!

If you really have no experience with it, I'd recommend phsycially teaming up with someone who does. Maybe talk to the gym staff and see if you can get some help there or book a session with a trainer just to get familiarized.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Start with a 3 day a week program. 6-12 reps for 4 sets per lift. This is an example of where you can start.

Monday: Legs, Abs (squats, calf raises, crunches)

Tuesday: Cardio

Wednesday: Chest, shoulders, (Bench press, incline press, military press)

Thursday: Cardio

Friday: biceps, triceps. (barbell curl, skull crushers, pull ups)

Weekend: Rest or do cardio.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    get someone to show you correct form first of all - maybe book a session with a trainer.

Look into programs like NROLFW or 5x5 stronglifts, I am doing stronglifts - somewhere in the middle of it...but I have read that a lot of women do struggle with the 2.5kg increase each time, but I still think it is a good starting point and by god it will make you stronger and it will change your body.

I have so far lost 4kgs - I have only just really looked at my diet properly but my shoulders and arms are rock solid, my thighs look quite big but really muscular...I am now up to 80kg squats but I find as going heavier I am putting in an extra day of 'rest' (well not lifting - I still do cardio (HIIT) or train with kettlebells)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Even before making any considerations to programming I would learn how to perform exercises correctly. You can use online resources and/or live training or a combination of both.
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a great starting program.

Check into this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

this group has a great explanation of the program and videos for learning proper form.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would start with the book Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting, use MFP and youtube to get info on the lifts from there if needed, or hire a trainer to show you
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I second the Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules suggestion. I did New Rules of Lifting for Women, and LOVE the results. It's kind of complex- you'll definitely need to research form and then get a buddy to watch and make sure you're doing it right. Or record yourself. Just make sure your form is spot-on to prevent injury.

Stronglifts is dead simple, and might be good to try for a few weeks to whet your appetite. I didn't read the whole thing, I just skimmed. I did have a problem increasing the weight by 5 pounds after a while. When/ if you hit that point, you have several options:

1: Increase the weight in smaller increments, like 2 pounds instead of 5
    2: Stay at the same weight until it becomes easy, and then move up 5 pounds. You may not be able to finish all 5 sets, but you can work up to it.
    3: When you're stalled at a certain weight, add more reps or do an extra set. That way you're still challenging yourself and working up to that next weight increase.

Make sure you're getting enough rest days, sleep, water, and protein, and listen to your body. Strength training is HARD, but it's so very rewarding. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Even before making any considerations to programming I would learn how to perform exercises correctly. You can use online resources and/or live training or a combination of both.

^^ This

I read The New Rules of Lifting for Women (free at the library), and also Strong Lifts has a lot of videos and explanations: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • SkinnieCheryl
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome advice!! You guys rock.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    There are websites and a few books that have basic bodybuilding (weight lifting) routines. You can try bodybuilding.com (which sounds intimidating, but it's not) or even the old Joyce Vedral books, which you can get for free from the library and have pictures to show you how to lift properly. I believe there are apps also out there that you can take to the gym with you to show you how to lift. I'd advise you to put together a routine (upper or lower or combo if you can only go two X a week) so you're ready and don't waste too much time figuring out what you're doing when you get there. Good luck! Weight lifting is amazing!! :drinker:
  • jramaral
    jramaral Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are websites and a few books that have basic bodybuilding (weight lifting) routines. You can try bodybuilding.com (which sounds intimidating, but it's not) or even the old Joyce Vedral books, which you can get for free from the library and have pictures to show you how to lift properly. I believe there are apps also out there that you can take to the gym with you to show you how to lift. I'd advise you to put together a routine (upper or lower or combo if you can only go two X a week) so you're ready and don't waste too much time figuring out what you're doing when you get there. Good luck! Weight lifting is amazing!! :drinker:

Bump for bodybuilding.com Exercise videos to show proper form and exercise plans to keep you accountable.