Accidentally Bought Food I Loathe: Anise

Options
Skinny_Mocha
Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
I bought some anise today, because I'm trying to partake in new, healthy foods. Unfortunately, it tastes like the only food in the world I would starve to death rather than eat: BLACK LICORICE.

I cannot eat this. I called my parents to see if they wanted it, and they turned me down with a laugh and shudder.

Does anyone know how I can prepare this awful stuff in a way I can eat it?

Edited to add: I bought it from the produce section, so I have some bulbs with greens coming out of them (all of which tastes like the pain of dead souls).

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's a very strong flavor and hard to hide. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Just cut your losses and carry on.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree that if you don't like it, you don't like it, though I disagree about the flavor being "strong."

You might try it as a pizza topping -- I think that is delicious.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine there being any way to disguise that vile taste. Yuck. That's the one taste I can't stand either. The only thing I've tried that's even more revolting is a durian fruit flavoured sweet that my sister brought back from China.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yuck, i feel sick just thinking about it lol
    Just throw it out!:sick:
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    No way to make it taste like anything other than nasty black licorice. Toss it! The only taste I cannot handle is licorice, anise, fennel, rye bread.... yuck!
  • Judy0Gee
    Judy0Gee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Peel a couple of carrots. Cut in short chunks. Add oil to heavy pan. Cook over moderate high heat stirring occasionally until carrots brown a bit. Set aside.

Wipe out pan. Add some oil. Cut anise in half, top to bottom. Cut each half again in half or in thirds if large. Cook over moderate high heat until lightly browned. Set aside.

Repeat with some onion.

Add everything back to pan. Add a little broth. Cover pan with tight fitting lid and simmer until everything is tender. Season to taste with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Great hot, cold, left over, reheated.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Anise is a spice. How do you consider a simple spice, or flavoring, branching out into healthy food? If you don't like it, don't eat it and move on. Simple enough.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Good pepperoni and Italian sausage have anise. Try a bit in some spaghetti sauce, or on pizza.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    SLICED AND ROASTED AFTER TOSSING WITH A BIT OF OLIVE OIL AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel so alone and strange. I LOOOOVE black licorice!
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options

You are not alone!!! Love it too :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hate the stuff. Yuck. Trash it!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Thanks, all! Glad to know I'm not alone (and power to those of you who love it)!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Did you get the seeds or the vegetable? (We also call it fennel, that's why I'm checking).

It does have a pretty hard-to-disguise flavor but I went from hating black licorice (still don't like it as candy) to enjoying the veggie roasted with some citrus and chicken or fish. I also like the seeds in italian food.

I got the vegetable. Citrus and fish sounds like a great way to mask - thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Peel a couple of carrots. Cut in short chunks. Add oil to heavy pan. Cook over moderate high heat stirring occasionally until carrots brown a bit. Set aside.

Wipe out pan. Add some oil. Cut anise in half, top to bottom. Cut each half again in half or in thirds if large. Cook over moderate high heat until lightly browned. Set aside.

Repeat with some onion.

Add everything back to pan. Add a little broth. Cover pan with tight fitting lid and simmer until everything is tender. Season to taste with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Great hot, cold, left over, reheated.

This sounds great - thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Anise is a spice. How do you consider a simple spice, or flavoring, branching out into healthy food? If you don't like it, don't eat it and move on. Simple enough.

It was in the produce section, listed as "anise" - but I guess it's also called fennel.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    Good pepperoni and Italian sausage have anise. Try a bit in some spaghetti sauce, or on pizza.

That's a good idea - thank you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    I kinda agree that if you don't like it, you don't like it, though I disagree about the flavor being "strong."

You might try it as a pizza topping -- I think that is delicious.

Interesting idea - thanks!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options

You are not alone!!! Love it too :)

Haha - bless you both for loving it! What are your addresses? I'll mail it all to you!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    SLICED AND ROASTED AFTER TOSSING WITH A BIT OF OLIVE OIL AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR

Thanks! I'll try this.