Options
    Cycling
    Running

Most important:
    Changed my diet!
  • SuzMar17
    SuzMar17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to say tracking and the forums I find very helpful, but once I start to lose that is motivating! But, I find if I dont track it throws me off. I wish you the best of luck, you will do great#
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps so much. I could never eat few enough calories when I sat on my butt all day.
  • scuttlez
    scuttlez Posts: 51
    Options
    Definitely exercising. Keeps me focused and encourages me to make wiser food choices. Also not looking at life as a diet, but just eating for the feel good of my soul!
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for responding! I bought a food scale today since many of you mentioned it and plan on using other tips mentioned.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be that "diets do not work".
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This might sound cheesy but my friends!
    There's about 7 of my pals that I hang out with on a regular basis, and we've all decided to get healthy at the same time.
    Makes it SO much easier when we hang out and go to restaurants and stuff, cause there's no awkwardness when trying to choose lower calorie foods and logging it all.
    We have a facebook group so we can all chat in there about how we're doing and complain about how much we want to eat all the pies etc.
    Definitely helps having them doing it with me. They can also bully me into going to the gym and stuff too!
  • HipsterGuy33
    Options
    Vegan gluten free diet works awesome. Amazing how much crappy food that rules out. I 'm down 15 pounds in 3 months. I used to be 195 a year and a half ago, but now I'm at 165. I feel way way better.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You've already got some great advice in the replies here. My number one tip is to realise there is no end point. That is not meant in a negative way, just that your new lifestyle has to be something you will be comfortable with for many months and years to come!

I view it like this: my body will change to match the lifestyle I lead. So I should live my life like the healthy slimmer person I want to become, then slowly over time my body will change to match that way of life. There is room for occasionally over eating, like at Christmas, eating all of the foods I enjoy, having a drink with friends etc. I just need to keep consciously making healthier choices whenever I can and make sure that on average my calories over a week are on target.

Losing weight does not have to be miserable and stressful. Find exercise that you enjoy, so you are happy to do it on a regular basis. Plan meals in advance and weigh and measure to keep portion size under control.
  • amberrenee813
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips! I followed many of these tips. I think the most important thing for me was logging every single meal honestly and accurately. It kept me accountable to me! And, I'm happy to say, I lost 10 pounds in my first week :)

Of course, I know my weight loss will not always be that big, but it's a great start!
  • amberrenee813
    Options
    Luckily, I don't drink anything other than water. My vice is sweets, but I will allow myself treats. Just make sure it's in my calorie allotment.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and lifting HEAVY weights.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Oh, and start viewing cheese as a condiment. :wink:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Break the 70 pounds down into smaller goals. 10 or 15 pounds at a time. A smaller number seems more attainable at the beginning and once you hit that, you want to keep going to the next goal

Don't cut out any of the foods that you love, just eat less of them less often. The minute I say I can't have something, I wanted it more and would binge on it.

Don't beat yourself up for a bad meal, bad day or bad week, just get back on track and keep going.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Planning and cooking meals ahead of time.
  • toddabrown
    Options
    I started this in January, not a very active social participant on this site. Today is a big milestone for me so I will share. I just reached my final goal, started at 205, and my ideal target weight is 175 so had 30 lbs to lose. There are 2 things that helped me most with mfp, being completely honest with logging accurately (I bought a food scale) and I started running. Originally I was only able to run about a half mile without stopping, now I am running 20-30 miles/week. Map my Run is another great tool for calorie tracking with running, it also works for walks. You can track your miles and pace, and it will tell you calories burned. Just don't eat back all of your exercise calories every day. This was the magic bullet for me. Now onto maintenance mode beginning today. There are so many great stories here, just keep with it, look for inspiration, and don't let anyone get you down.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I log everything, even a 2 calorie mint. I frequently throughout the day look over my macros to determine what I will eat for the next meal. I always go under my calories unless I've specifically decided not to that day.

If you eat less calories than you burn, you WILL lose weight.
  • amberrenee813
    Options
    I started this in January, not a very active social participant on this site. Today is a big milestone for me so I will share. I just reached my final goal, started at 205, and my ideal target weight is 175 so had 30 lbs to lose. There are 2 things that helped me most with mfp, being completely honest with logging accurately (I bought a food scale) and I started running. Originally I was only able to run about a half mile without stopping, now I am running 20-30 miles/week. Map my Run is another great tool for calorie tracking with running, it also works for walks. You can track your miles and pace, and it will tell you calories burned. Just don't eat back all of your exercise calories every day. This was the magic bullet for me. Now onto maintenance mode beginning today. There are so many great stories here, just keep with it, look for inspiration, and don't let anyone get you down.

That's awesome!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    For me I started with just walking when I was at my heaviest.

I gradually increased to a power walk and then running.

Eventually I started adding heaving lifting into my routine.

Now I do some cardio but my main forcus is on the weights. I really really recommend adding weights or even body weight exercises to your routine. You will see a big big change.

I don't eat "clean" like a lot of people chirp about. I eat healthier, watch my portions, drink lots of water but I still enjoy my desserts and salty snacks in moderation. I also try to eat lots of protein during my day.
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay away from a lot of carbs after lunch. This has helped me tremendously. Get your carbs early in the day to give you energy for work, working out, etc.