Accidentally Bought Food I Loathe: Anise

Options

Replies

• Skinny_Mocha
    Skinny_Mocha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Eat it all. The suffering will make you a better person.

Besides, it's delicious.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Someday, when you're ready, the licorice will be there waiting patiently.

Because no one else will have eaten it either.
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    boil it and add some sweetener to it. it's a tea. good for ailments. you will like the taste when it's in tea form. if not blend it with other teas and it will taste great. try cinnamon sticks, chamomile, etc.

Oh, tea! That's a marvelous idea! Thanks!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    in salad, sliced thin, with grapefruit, orange and balsamic.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/orange-fennel-salad-recipe.html

Wow, that actually makes it sound delicious. Thanks!!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    What is pizza sauce without it?

If you loathe it, it's not the spice for you. Give it away, or barter with a friend. It has health properties to it, google and see.

I actually bought the raw produce (fennel? It said "anise" at the store) so I'm stuck with some bulbs of the world's cruelest vegetable (second place would be okra).
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Just mail it to me. Licorice is my favorite thing in the whole wide world
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

If you loathe it, it's not the spice for you. Give it away, or barter with a friend. It has health properties to it, google and see.

I actually bought the raw produce (fennel? It said "anise" at the store) so I'm stuck with some bulbs of the world's cruelest vegetable (second place would be okra).
    Oh, gotcha!
    What to do:
    Chop it up and stir-fry with other veggies, whatever you have in the fridge....onion, carrot, etc.
    Place the stir-fried veggies inside a corn or flour tortilla, add hot pepper jack cheese, avo, salsa , etc
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's good for skin and hair. Make it into a facial.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Send to me in the mail I love love love black licorice
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It is delicious when cooked in a chicken breast soup with white beans. Just the bulb part, not the stalk. Use chicken stock, onion, carrot, celery, fennel (anise), chicken breast and white beans. Red chili flake. Yum! Also good when cooked with sausage.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...anise...which tastes like the pain of dead souls...

Bahahahaha! You made my day. :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this whole superfoods thing is overrated

eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables and foods rich in fat soluble vitamins (egg yolk, fish oil, avocado etc) and also to get enough protein, and micronutrients take care of themselves. You don't have to torture yourself with foods you hate to get enough micronutrients unless you're an *extremely* fussy eater (and even then there's multivitamins)

I like licorice but hate the taste of it in any food that isn't supposed to be very sweet.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree that if you don't like it, you don't like it, though I disagree about the flavor being "strong."

You might try it as a pizza topping -- I think that is delicious.

There's a genetic component to taste, i.e. some people can taste flavours that others can't. For me, celery has an extremely strong, vile and overpowering taste and smell, but to other people it has little to no taste at all. There have been genetic studies that have proven that marmite has something in it that only some people can taste, and that this is genetic - they say you either love or hate marmite... those that hate it have the gene to be able to taste this stuff in marmite and hate it. Those that love it find it has quite a mild taste and don't have the genes to be able to taste that stuff in it. It's probably the case with a lot of things. I can't stand the taste of peanuts, and find they have a very strong, overpowering and unpleasant taste.... so it could be the case with the OP being able to taste something in licorice that not everyone can taste... you say it doesn't have a strong flavour.... others on the thread say it tastes like the pain of dead souls. That's how I'd describe the taste of celery with peanut butter spread on it. I quite like licorice, I'd say the flavour is quite strong but not overpowering, and it's not an unpleasant taste, but in my opinion it's a taste that only goes with sweet foods not savory foods.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

It is a miraculous detoxing agent, in fact. Oh, yes indeed.
    What does it detox? =P

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-582-ANISE.aspx?activeIngredientId=582&activeIngredientName=ANISE

Brussels sprouts.

They build up in your pancreas over time.
  • StGerm
    StGerm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It makes a pretty plant. The butterflies love it. The Monarch Butterflies will eat the plant and then cocoon on it. If you have children (or if you're simple like me and fascinated by this stuff) let it grow and watch the butterflies come, then the caterpillars munching the fennel / anise and then watch them cocoon and turn into butterflies.

Fascinating.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just cut it into bite size pieces, do the same with an apple (1 apple to 1-2 fennel), mix, add lemon juice, salt and bon appetit! When I first tasted fennel I hated it and I asked around how people were consuming it, someone described this recipe to me and since then Ii love it. The bitter, salty and sweet flavors go very well together!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

It is a miraculous detoxing agent, in fact. Oh, yes indeed.
    What does it detox? =P

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-582-ANISE.aspx?activeIngredientId=582&activeIngredientName=ANISE

Brussels sprouts.

They build up in your pancreas over time.
    Very informative!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Throw it away!

I don't even care for it in those lacy delicate anise cookies...cannot imagine eating it "fresh" ugh
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't know why supermarkets call it anise. It's fennel. The anise plant looks similar to fennel, but only fennel produces a large edible bulb.

It's funny.... I HATE black liquorice, but I love fennel. Maybe because the flavour doesn't seem overpowering to me as it does in liquorice candy?

I probably buy a couple bulbs of fennel every month, and I eat all of it raw. I really LOVE it! It's one of my favourite raw snacking veggies.
  • kellyj5201
    kellyj5201 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel so alone and strange. I LOOOOVE black licorice!

i love it too lol... black jelly beans r my favorite!
  • Skinny_Mocha
    Options
    You guys are great - thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I got drunk and powered through some of it last night, to see if I could. It was terrible, but I do feel like a better person. I just can't throw away food.

I'm going to cook the rest with lots of other things, and then NEVER BUY IT AGAIN.

Now, before I get another surprise in life, is there anything else I should know of that has this murderous death clown of flavor?