Does anyone else have this I'm guessing unhealthy habit

Options
Skipping lunch or dinner but then making up the calories in snacks. Anyone know how unhealthy this is? Does it not matter when you eat?

I think the problem is I think hmm.. I'm going to skip lunch maybe I will lose weight faster... Then i get to dinner and I'm still not that hungry and I think why not I will lose weight faster, It's not going to be permanent...

but then the hunger hits and you will eat anything. Then you usually don't meet your calorie goal (at least for me)..

I think that for me personally it's better to spread them out throughout the day...

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat.

At my thinnest weight I often ate right before bed. I ate snacks, I ate at different times of day, I skipped a meal here or there. Just worry about the total daily calories, and actually even more on the weekly calories.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic and trying to manage blood sugars, it really doesn't matter when you eat as long as you are happy and meeting/not exceeding your caloric goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Meal timing will have no effect on your weight loss as long as you're within your calorie goals for the day. As long as you feel good and you're hitting your nutrition goals, it's perfectly fine to skip meals.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.

I try to spread my calories out throughout the day because I hate being hungry (I become a raging jerk), but it doesn't actually matter. I sometimes eat all or most of my calories at night and I don't find that it affects weight loss or anything else, for that matter, including sleep quality or energy levels.
  • vnbuckmaster
    vnbuckmaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have foods that will help you keep your blood sugar normalized. When it drops that's when you start feeling like you have to eat "NOW" and the craving is for bad foods. What works for me is keeping red delicious apples and almonds for the afternoon around 3ish. Another good snack is the light Greek yogurt with 5-10 almonds thrown in (for me though the apples do the trick).. That way I know when I'm heading home I'm feeling fine, and can make good food choices.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said. It doesn't matter when you eat. The only thing to beware of skipping meals and then snacking is that you are still meeting your nutrition goals. Skipping a 400 calorie lunch balanced with protein, vegetables, etc and replacing it with 350 calories of potato chips will work for your calorie goals, but not your long term nutritional needs. Just make sure that your snacks are providing a good balance of protein, carbs and fats just like your meals would.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Skipping lunch or dinner but then making up the calories in snacks. Anyone know how unhealthy this is? Does it not matter when you eat?

I think the problem is I think hmm.. I'm going to skip lunch maybe I will lose weight faster... Then i get to dinner and I'm still not that hungry and I think why not I will lose weight faster, It's not going to be permanent...

but then the hunger hits and you will eat anything. Then you usually don't meet your calorie goal (at least for me)..

I think that for me personally it's better to spread them out throughout the day...

this is the only bad bit, as you might not be getting adequate nutrition. Just try to meet your goal with (if possible) foods that give you a reasonable macronutrient balance. If you need to 'graze', that's fine, but don't be afraid of eating to goal/eating lunch for weight loss.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This was an issue for me. I'd undereat and then binge on food that didn't have as many micronutrients as i needed. Try planning meals in advance. Fast weightloss through skipping meals will shoot you in the foot.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    it does not matter right now, as long as you are staying in the calorie goal, you will lose weight. but, its going to hurt you long term. normally, when you are in position where you need to lose weight, it usually would have resulted from unhealthy eating habits, lack of physical activity or both. while you are trying to lose weight, you should also try to build a sustainable and healthy long term diet and activity plan and get into healthy eating. it will help you once you reach your goal and tries to maintain weight. problem with snack-instead of a meal habit is, you can not do it long term. i would imagine, as long as you are able to be aware of it and have a good control over it, it should be okay.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said. It doesn't matter when you eat. The only thing to beware of skipping meals and then snacking is that you are still meeting your nutrition goals. Skipping a 400 calorie lunch balanced with protein, vegetables, etc and replacing it with 350 calories of potato chips will work for your calorie goals, but not your long term nutritional needs. Just make sure that your snacks are providing a good balance of protein, carbs and fats just like your meals would.
    ^This is excellent advice.^
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing well. If you eat snacks, as opposed to letting yourself get ridiculously hungry and then stuffing your face, than you are doing the right thing, in my mind.