Quitting smoking at the same time

Options
KateV888
KateV888 Posts: 20 Member
So it didn't seem to make much sense to me to try and lose weight and exercise - for health reasons - while I kept smoking. So a month ago today I quit - so far so good - but I haven't really been able to lose weight since (at least I haven't gained)

Looking for any friends who are also trying to manage the dual challenge of weight loss and quitting smoking. Or other multiple health goals.

Replies

• Jennimillerrn
    Jennimillerrn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I need to, but haven't yet. How did you quit smoking?
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I did it over time as I ramped up my workouts. Started in August of last year. As far as working out, I started on a high school track, and walked a lap, jogged a lap, walked a lap, jogged a lap, etc. Did only 4 laps of jogging and 5 of walking the first day, and kept that up for the next 3-4 days. Then I started adding in laps little by little, and started taking out some of the walking in between. Now I'm up to 7 - 8 miles of running a day 4-5 days a week.

So at the same time, I bought an e-cig. I did some research, and went with a brand called Buck Naked. Cost $40 for the cig and another $8 for the liquid. I was about a pack a day, so the next day, I smoked 19 real cigs, and did the e-cig for my 20th one. Did that 2-3 days, then went to 18 real cigs and 2 e-cig. Did that 2-3 days then went to 17/3. then 16/4, etc. until I was only doing the e-cig. Then I slowly started using the e-cig less and less. 19 times per day, 18 times per day, 17 times.... You get the picture.

Now I still use the e-cig when I go out with friends to the bar or something, but I buy the liquid that has zero nicotine.

As far as you not losing weight, since you quit cold turkey (or it sounds like it), you should be happy you haven't gained. Most people I know who went cold turkey gained 10-15 pounds.

My only suggestion for losing weight is to try to watch your calories vs. what MFP tells you. Try to slowly increase your calories burned each day. If you are finding that you aren't losing weight with the net calorie goal that MFP gave you, try to decrease it a bit. Take a look at what you eat also. Eating out less and cooking at home more did wonders for my energy. I can't prove that eating more home cooked meals helped my weight, but it seemed to me that it did. I tried to switch away from anything out of a can or box, and tried cooking almost completely with real food.

But bottom line is exercise, quitting smoking, eating right, etc. etc. can be shocks to your body. I decided to gradually ease myself into it over a 7-month period, and it worked great for me.
  • KateV888
    KateV888 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well I'd been exercising regularly for about a month and I was just feeling completely stupid each time when I finished and went out and had a smoke. I'd also just recently done a budget for myself and was upset how much I was spending on cigarettes. So one day I saw a tv drama with a guy in it who was dying of lung cancer and I just wanted to stop right then. So I decided I'd quit two days later, which was a weekend. I wanted it to be soon because I wanted to use the burst of motivation.

I bought the nicotine patch and nicotine gum. I scoured my house to make sure there were no cigarettes around. I'm already on Wellbutrin (Zyban) for depression, so I think that helped too. But the main thing that I think is working this time is that I'm making sure I have enough nicotine replacement, because I was a pack a day smoker. I'm wearing the patch all the time and whenever I start even thinking about smoking I chew the gum. Next week I'm going to drop down to the lower dose patch, and if that goes well, two weeks later I'll get off the patch altogether. Then when I'm ready I'll quit the gum.
  • stacibal
    stacibal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I starting eating "right" and got serious about exercising a month ago too, and also quit smoking at the same time. I just quit! I smoked for 30 years! So far so good. I have no cravings for a cigarette and have no plans to ever start again. I've lost 10 lbs so far. Yay!
  • mc_hudd
    mc_hudd Posts: 47
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here! I've also just recently started exercising regularly & I'm *trying* to eat better. I've also thought about quitting smoking - I'm about a pack a day smoker also. Since I've started exercising, I've realized how easily winded I get & I'm honestly kind of ashamed of it. I haven't attempted to quit yet though. I want to make sure I developed a good habit of working out first, but it's definitely my next goal! I get overwhelmed easily & I'm afraid if I try too much at once, I'll end up getting frustrated & quit on everything. I'll be honest, I'm scared to quit. Almost my entire family smokes & we're together often. It's definitely going to be very difficult! Good luck to you!
  • helenmscott
    helenmscott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking as soon as you can. My husband and I both smoked two packs a day for over 25 years. Yes we gained weight. We saved our money for one year from cigarettes and spent ten days in Tahiti with the money saved. So go for it. You will feel better. I am up to walking 8 miles a day and the pounds are slowly coming off. My fitness pal is great.
  • salsa6459
    Options
    I just joined the site and I am trying to do the same thing again. Last time I used the chantix and stayed smoke free for 10 months but started up again. I am trying to do the same thing again but now counting my calories etc at the same time. So what ever advise you can give me when fighting those returning urges and what you have done would really be helpful. Good luck and good for you so far. Last time I quit, I gained over 20 most definetly did not need and it has been a no success in getting off those pounds. I do not want to gain the weight again now that I try to quit smoking again.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight 2 yrs ago and made several attempts to quit smoking during that time which never stuck. 2 weeks ago I bought an e-cig and have not had a "real" cigarette since. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day. I have different levels of nicotine in my juice and next time I buy more I will go even lower to wean myself off nicotine.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    IMO, quitting smoking is much more critical - I quit 8 years ago and if I had worried about the weight gain, I don't think I could have done it. Power to you if you can do it - I found pokey sticks (Japanese snack sticks) to be helpful (I could hold them like a cigarette) and they do not have a ton of calories. Do not get discouraged - stick with it!
  • carolannkranda
    Options
    May i ask what was your method of quitting. I have been smoking a pack a day for 25+ years and i need to quit. I just don't have the will power. Any help or advice is greatly needed.
    Carol
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I used quitnet.com - kind of like this site. It was set up by a Boston hospital years ago. Everyone is going through the same things as you are so you do not feel as alone. I was very much a lurker on that site but it really helped (and in the thralls of nicotine withdraw, I was pretty crabby). I went cold turkey (had a very nasty cold, spend one day in bed where I never smoked in bed, so figured I would keep going). Nicotine replacement did not work for me. As a warning, the quitnet community HATES e-cigarettes (just be forewarned).
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I quit last year. But it wasn't easy for me, I used a vaporizer (ecig type device) and weaned off of that. So your doing wonderful!! If you've made it a month, then you got this!!! You should be very proud of yourself!!!