milks what is best for you?

Options

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cow milk definitely not. It's actually bad for you: Due to it being processed all the good enzymes are destroyed. Also we can't digest several amounts of substances in the milk, so it takes longer to digest. This included lactose.

Only people with lactose intolerance can't digest lactose. Everyone else can.

By processed do you mean pasteurisation? That's to stop people getting food poisoning. It's destroying pathogens and slowing down how long it takes milk to go rotten. Pasteurisation does not meaningfully lower the nutritional value of cow's milk:

"It is demonstrated that consumption of raw milk poses a realistic health threat due to a possible contamination with human pathogens. It is therefore strongly recommended that milk should be heated before consumption. With the exception of an altered organoleptic profile, heating (in particularly ultra high temperature and similar treatments) will not substantially change the nutritional value of raw milk or other benefits associated with raw milk consumption."
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095671351200535X

I said it's hard for your body to digest cows milk (because of several amounts of substances), not can't digest.
    I also didn't say the nutritional values would change; I said the good enzymes are destroyed.

You might have meant that but you did literally say: "we can't digest several of the substances in the milk...this includes lactose". You actually used the words "can't digest" and then specified you were referring to lactose.

My point is that "good" enzymes aren't being destroyed. The bad ones are, i.e. pathogens that cause food poisoning. Raw cow's milk carries a serious risk unless you're drinking it straight from the udder...in which case there are a few other questions I want to ask you first :tongue:
  • MelxH
    MelxH Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidisim so no soy milk for me (soy does no good for the thyroid).
    And other milks besides cow milk are incredibly expensive, so... cow milk for me

I hate it though, can only drink it with honey or chocolate lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    The ones that you enjoy.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cow milk definitely not. It's actually bad for you: Due to it being processed all the good enzymes are destroyed. Also we can't digest several amounts of substances in the milk, so it takes longer to digest. This included lactose.

By processed do you mean pasteurisation? That's to stop people getting food poisoning. It's destroying pathogens and slowing down how long it takes milk to go rotten. Pasteurisation does not meaningfully lower the nutritional value of cow's milk:

"It is demonstrated that consumption of raw milk poses a realistic health threat due to a possible contamination with human pathogens. It is therefore strongly recommended that milk should be heated before consumption. With the exception of an altered organoleptic profile, heating (in particularly ultra high temperature and similar treatments) will not substantially change the nutritional value of raw milk or other benefits associated with raw milk consumption."

I thought lactose 'intolerance' was the normal state and everyone else was just lactose tolerant?

I read somewhere that babies start to lose their lactase enzyme around the age that they would naturally be weaned. It is only in the west where dairy consumption is large where we continue to produce lactase as adults and are lactose tolerant. In other countries where it isnt a big part of the diet most people are lactose intolerant. It seems intuitive seeing as milk is made for baby mammals so adults shouldnt need to digest lactose. Dont quote me on it though, just remember thinking it was interesting at the time. Probably completely wrong lol.

Personally I much prefer soy or almond milk but thats just what I find tastier. Plus after breastfeeding for nearly 2 years I just cant seem to get a cup of cow milk to my lips without feeling wrong. It just doesnt feel right. Dont mind putting it in cooking though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

I thought lactose 'intolerance' was the normal state and everyone else was just lactose tolerant?

I read somewhere that babies start to lose their lactase enzyme around the age that they would naturally be weaned. It is only in the west where dairy consumption is large where we continue to produce lactase as adults and are lactose tolerant. In other countries where it isnt a big part of the diet most people are lactose intolerant. It seems intuitive seeing as milk is made for baby mammals so adults shouldnt need to digest lactose. Dont quote me on it though, just remember thinking it was interesting at the time. Probably completely wrong lol.

Personally I much prefer soy or almond milk but thats just what I find tastier. Plus after breastfeeding for nearly 2 years I just cant seem to get a cup of cow milk to my lips without feeling wrong. It just doesnt feel right. Dont mind putting it in cooking though.
    Lots of psychology a work in food choices and not just milk. Milk has been consumed for a very long time in Northern Europe and has a strong correlation to health and survival of those indigenous people where crop failure was imminent and where protein and fat helped them thrive and of course adapt........that is what humans are best at.........if people haven't adapted to lactose, it's not their fault, but it certainly doesn't make milk some food only for baby cows.........that's like a grade school story to justify why people shouldn't consume it....adaption and thriving is what's allowed up to actually discuss this over the internet and when cows can do the same then maybe we can discuss the issue more thoroughly:happy: .
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I echo many of the sentiments that suggest it depends on what nutrients you are looking for and what taste you prefer. However, keep in mind that most non-dairy milks (and even some dairy milks) contain carageenan, which in many people (myself included) causes gastrointestinal distress. However, if you like almond milk I understand you can make it at home, which would avoid this additive. I've never made almond milk so I don't know how easy it is.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

You are right. Lactose intolerance is the norm.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Yes, we evolved to be able to continue to consume dairy products.

Many animals drink the milk of other species if given the chance--you see pictures all the time of a dog or cat adopting and suckling some other animal babies every month or so on the Internet. In England, customers were complaining that the cream was being stolen from their milk bottles. Turned out it was being done by crows that learned to open the milk bottles and drink the cream. Man is just the only animal that has been able to regularly and efficiently procure another animal's milk for their own consumption. If my dog had thumbs, she'd milk a cow in a heartbeat. She loves milk.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I can't eat dairy, so I consume all the different milks you listed (and in yogurt form).

I stick with unsweetened almond milk for most things, since it's low in calories and I prefer the texture (although this varies by brand, so you may need to try a few to find one you like). I always have the vanilla one with my espresso. Almond yogurt tastes good, but it's not my first choice since it's almost all carbohydrates, and if I do have it, I'll make sure to snack on some protein and/or healthy fats and fruit with it.

Recently, I started adding some unsweetened soy milk into my diet. It's higher in calories, but also has more protein. It's important not to overload on soy, so if you already enjoy other soy products regularly, don't have soy milk and yogurt exclusively. Soy yogurt can also be a good way to snack on some protein and probiotics.

I have coconut milk very rarely because my body doesn't respond well to saturated fats. But I do recommend coconut yogurts, since the healthy fats will keep you full.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    In.

I just want to know if you can successfully make yogurt at home with coconut milk. I've seen coconut yogurt at the store, and i've made cow milk yogurt before, but i no longer consume dairy.

I don't know how much protein coconut milk has off the top of my head, but I think you can because I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Whole Foods. I know you can certainly make it out of soy milk. You just need to get the yogurt starter which you can get at certain grocery stores or order online.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I prefer Unsweetened Almond Milk. I use it for my smoothies, as coffee creamer, and with protein granola.. love it and one cup is 30 cal
  • mctrader07
    mctrader07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A question if any of you know, I would appreciate some feedback
    What milk is best:
    Cow, almond, soy or almond? and why ?
    I just purchased a yogurt maker and looking forward to making the best for your health.

to be honest the best is: baby formula such as Enfamil (but very expensive 32 bucks a case good luck with that)
    second runner up is cow milk, cow milk cooperates with our bodies
  • mctrader07
    mctrader07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    learn something new everyday
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Cow because it's natural

cows milk naturally meant for a cows calf not humans

almonds,rice,soy,coconut,cashew,oats, your mothers breast milk -- all natural

I'm not sure how one can conclude that nuts turned into milk is "natural," but not cow's milk.

And I'm also not sure who decides a cow's milk is not meant for humans, while almonds are. We can't show that an almond was meant to be consumed by humans any more than cow milk.

I'll take the available nutrients I can get. All of us will, to survive. That's been the story since day one.

To the OP's question, I definitely prefer cow milk.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Cow milk, and it works wonders on those in a calorie deficit by making up for lost nutrients. I have at least 3 pints spread out over a week.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Meant for" by whom, exactly? Are fruits and vegetables "meant for" human consumption, or are we merely able to eat them safely in order to gain nutritional benefits from them?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Well, only one of them is milk. You're not going to get a definitive answer here because this topic is as controversial as abortion on for some retarded reason.

Look up the nutritional facts of each yourself and find out what nutrients you most want out of your smoothie.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Cow because it's natural

cows milk naturally meant for a cows calf not humans

almonds,rice,soy,coconut,cashew,oats, your mothers breast milk -- all natural

Humans: Opportunistic omnivores

This means we can eat whatever we can find that doesn't kill us. Milk supplies many nutrients to those humans that continue to produce lactase into adulthood.

Why did I even click into this thread when I know what level of intelligence is going to be displayed within it?

Answer? I must be a masochist.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like.

I personally like good old fashioned cows milk.

I used to do the soy milk -- plain, unsweetened -- and that was just too gross for me. I couldn't drink a glass and it made my cereal and coffee taste funky.

I can't wrap my head around any of the other "milks" out there like almond, rice etc. I mean last I knew almonds didn't contain milk and neither did rice so I'm guessing there's some unnatural processing that has to be done to procure this "milk".
  • scuttlez
    scuttlez Posts: 51
    Options
    It's all in your preference and what your body can handle. I love love love Vanilla Almond Milk. So much that I can't always keep it around because I can hound the **** out of it. All have their specific areas of health benefits. I don't enjoy regular milk anymore. I've tried, but it always tastes so weird to me now since I jade the change.