Lifting for a woman... is this goal reasonable?

Options
I'm a woman who's lifted in the past before and is now getting back into it. College life and not eating properly has left me super, super weak. I can right now squat 85lbs and bench 50lbs. Neither of these are easy for me to lift, but I can do the first for 5x3 and the second 5x5.

Would it be reasonable to hope that by July-ish I can squat ~135lbs and bench ~95lbs? Over the summer I'll be working, but that's a lot less stressful than school. I'll have more downtime so I hope that I can be more consistent about it. I'll also try to lift while I'm in school too (so for the next month).

What do you think? I know numerical goals aren't *that* useful, but they're motivating for me.

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable if you have done it before. In the last 6 months I have started with a 45lb oly bar and managed to get to 60lb bench for 3 sets of 8. I have not been totally comitted in the sense of doing three times a week every week and I had never lifted before. it's a good goal to aim for July might be abit soon but it gives you something to work towards for sure
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, do Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5...follow the programs as laid out and that shouldn't be a problem at all.