to carb or not to carb.....that is the question!

Options

Replies

• mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I found eating carbs, seems to be less fulfilling. I do better getting more protein, and making sure I get over 25g Fiber. My carbs come more from vegetables and fruits.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Low carb works for me. I feel great when I keep carbs around 30 to 40 g per day, spreading those carbs throughout the day.

The demographics of patrons who use this website are heavily skewed towards a low-fat diet, though, so don't be surprised if you get a raft of responses from people who can't understand why anyone would want to cut the carbs.
    Demographics of patrons who use this website are heavily skewed towards low fat diets? Really? Where did you get that from?
    Almost all of the people who know understand nutrition and know how vital dietary fat is to life are opposed to a low fat diet.

Well, quite a few of the topics and responses I see in the forums (outside of the LC groups) are posted by patrons who ask for "healthy" recipes (meaning recipes that restrict fat), but these patrons have no problem consuming copious amounts of Cheerios, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, & liquid sugar in all its forms, etc. ad nauseum.

I agree with you that dietary fat is vital, for many reasons.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    for the last 10 years, I've been trying to lose weight by counting calories because I didn't believe in fad diets...and I considered all the low carb diets fad diets. But counting calories hasn't worked for me...I lose a little and then I gain it all back.

I decided to go low carb after trying low carb for a week due to a weight loss competition (needed to lose some water weight fast). Now after two and a half months, I weigh less than I have in 10 years, and for the first time since I had my youngest daughter 18 years ago, my blood pressure is consistently normal. The best thing about low carb is I've lost a lot of the cravings I was constantly struggling with.

Right now for me low carb is working. I don't know if I'll gain the weight back eventually, but I haven't been able to keep the weight off following a low calorie moderation diet, so what do I have to lose?

Congratulations on your successes so far! This way of eating is great for killing cravings, and for providing satiety and good nutrition.
  • Nelz7856
    Nelz7856 Posts: 1
    Options
    It really is about moderation... that stuff's not just a rumour! you've got to eat less than you originally would, just make sure you don't retreat to old habits.
  • DudeistPriest
    DudeistPriest Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ketosis occurs during long periods of starvation and can lead to ketoacidosis which, in turn, is linked to type 1 diabetes. This is not a balanced and healthy approach to weight loss.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    The only people who truly have to "worry" about carbs are diabetics. All in moderation for the rest of us.

Years of abuse by eating high carb diets turns some people into Type 2 Diabetics. This can happen whether you are skinny or fat. "Moderation" is a squishy term that has a broad range of interpretation.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    Ketosis occurs during long periods of starvation and can lead to ketoacidosis which, in turn, is linked to type 1 diabetes. This is not a balanced and healthy approach to weight loss.

Benign dietary ketosis is not the same thing as ketoacidosis. Do your homework.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to cut out a bunch of carbs to lose weight. With that said, I like to stick to carbs such as fruit, nuts, and brown rice. I feel my body responds better when I eat these kinds of foods and I have been losing weight with this way consistently. When I tend to add things like white tortillas and bread my weight loss slows dramatically.

In theory, one should be able to eat whatever they want as long as they hit their calorie goal daily. That didn't really work for me for consistent weight loss. But one thing that is very important is even when I ate tortillas and bread I weighed everything. It is a vital part of your success!

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a switch to see if it works for you. A sample day for me is a fruit smoothie in the morning (and no I don't skip the bananas), a raw food bar a couple hours later, salad with chicken for lunch, cashews for a snack, then some protein, brown rice, and broccoli for dinner. And I don't cut out dairy either but it must be weighed. Love my cheese! I believe you can be happy, healthy and satisfied eating all food groups! Just make the right choices!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If I were to go low carb I would fail. Nothing fills me up or keeps me full as long as a good piece of whole grain bread, crackers, flat bread, etc. MUCH more so than any protein (yes, I know protein keeps you full, blah, blah but it isn't true for me. Let the hating begin.) Low refined sugar is a must for me because I have Type 2 diabetes, but complex carbs keep me going.

I agree with those who tell you to experiment. We are all different and what works for me will not necessarily work for you. Just remember that you do need some carbs because of the fiber content.
  • scuttlez
    scuttlez Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm all about carbs in moderation, good carbs because they aren't all bad. I tried cutting out carbs drastically, but it lead to me binge eating and feeling deprived. It's different for everyone though.... I lost weight going with a moderation/portion control/exercise technique. It works for me.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For me, I have certainly cut back on carbs in comparison to what I used to eat, but I don't necessarily restrict my carbs at all. First off, I love carbs, 2nd of all they fuel my high intensity workouts! :) I think we all find our way and what works for us. I'd be soooo grumpy and tired on a low carb "diet."
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    The only limit I put on carbs was to stay under my calorie goal.
    Just over 670g of carbs in a day was my highest while losing weight and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm.

Would suggest trying to keep your weight loss diet as similar as possible to what you plan your maintenance diet to be, if that's going to be low carb then go for it. If it's not then would I would say it's not the right choice for you.
    This ^

Unless you have a medical reason to do so, carbs (and all things) in moderation.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Going low carb makes sense to me because,if you think about it,most carbs are just processed junk. Pasta,bread,rice and cereals are all bleached,processed and full of salt and sugar. I get my carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables,in moderation,and always before 2pm.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

"Benign ketosis" is a BS term coined by Dr. Atkins. Benign ketosis is in acutality ketoacidosis, which is linked to diabetes.

http://www.uiw.edu/nutrition/atkins/page3.html
    http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html

ketosis (ke-TOE-sis)a ketone buildup in the body that may lead to diabetic ketoacidosis. Signs of ketosis are nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain.
    Retrieved from: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/common-terms/common-terms-f-k.html

[Edited for grammar]
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was learning about what type of metabolism I had. I used this test at this link to find out : http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating
    I learned I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and I feel my best when I eat 40% of my daily calories from Carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. Everyone is different, I would suggest taking the test and see what type you are, try eating that way and see how you feel. I finally feel satisfied when I eat and I don't have nearly the cravings that I use to!
  • DudeistPriest
    DudeistPriest Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I did. Read carefully where I said Ketosis can lead to ketoacidosis. I never said they are the same, I said the one can lead to the other. Ketosis will cause you to lose weight but you can not live HEALTHILY and maintain a constant state of ketosis. This is the same state that anorexics put their bodies into. Your are intentionally starving yourself. You will lose but you will eventually have return your metabolism to a more natural state or risk doing real damage to yourself. Healthy and Balanced May be slower but it is sustainable.
    If you maintain a diet that balances your macros, includes healthy fats and carbs and avoids the unhealthy fats and carbs, you will be NATURALLY eating low carb and low fat in a manner that is healthy and sustainable.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What worked best for me was learning about what type of metabolism I had. I used this test at this link to find out : http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/metabolic-types-eating
    I learned I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and I feel my best when I eat 40% of my daily calories from Carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. Everyone is different, I would suggest taking the test and see what type you are, try eating that way and see how you feel. I finally feel satisfied when I eat and I don't have nearly the cravings that I use to!

This suspiciously sounds like endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph thinking to me.

AKA: pure tripe
  • MistressPi
    Options

Ketosis will cause you to lose weight but you can not live HEALTHILY and maintain a constant state of ketosis. This is the same state that anorexics put their bodies into. Your are intentionally starving yourself. You will lose but you will eventually have return your metabolism to a more natural state or risk doing real damage to yourself.

Nonsense. This is misinformation. Benign dietary ketosis is protein sparing. It is a healthy and satisfying way to eat. Indefinitely.

If you like, read the article on this subject by Dr. James Carlson, here:

http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/2013/05/ketones-ketosis-and-fatoh-my.html
  • layla_toya
    Options
    I don't get it?Is the purpose of this app to eat as few calories as possible ,and making a change by having a better net score from before ?