The Truth About Rice Cakes

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
There is nothing wrong with them, in moderation. At 35 cals a pop, I can snack on two or three without the slightest issues and they do not affect my weight loss, health or nutrition in any way. 140 cals of carbs? Big deal, fuel for my run. The slight amount of sodium they have? Not an issue. Kidneys and homeostasis work fine.

I invite the dietician of MFP to stop criticizing food item a or b and focus on giving basic nutritional advice that this site so sorely lacks.

As to the idea that eating a rice cake alone will somehow leave me feeling sluggish? Utter balderdash. Based on what, shall I assume that eating,say 3 rice cakes creates a different insulin response than eating a banana. And while they aren't the best nutritional choice, nothing wrong with one or two within an otherwise balanced meal.

I expect more from the blog. Rice cakes. Seriously?

Ref: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/the-truth-about-rice-cakes/

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Where's this blog located? I need to read, please :flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdxhhkT7k01r3vz25.gif
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    approved.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Where's this blog located? I need to read, please :flowerforyou:

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/the-truth-about-rice-cakes/
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oh please don't anybody tell me that rice cakes are bad. Or worse than bananas. Especially since one of the kiddoes takes two rice cakes AND a banana to school for morning tea most days.

Where is the blog?

Oh, I see it.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What do you expect? It's advice coming from a dietician, a field rife with just about every nutrition nutbaggery known to man. There are good ones out there but finding them is like that proverbial needle in a haystack except the needle is the size of a hair from a hairless cat's butt.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've actually been experimenting with a high carb diet in the last 3 weeks. I've increased from 150-200g carbs daily to 300-400g daily following Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book to fuel my endurance running with a goal of leaning out to my best racing weight. In order to do that I've had to drop protein to .8g/kg body weight and fat to 20% of total calories.

It has taken my body 3 weeks to adjust to higher carbs, but now my weight is as it was when I started 3 weeks ago, my body fat % is dropping and my glycogen stores are maintained far higher than they were with a lower carb diet. I have more energy, I'm not cold anymore and I don't need naps like I did before.

I have found brown rice cakes to be helpful for getting the carbs I need without added fat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    What do you expect? It's advice coming from a dietician, a field rife with just about every nutrition nutbaggery known to man. There are good ones out there but finding them is like that proverbial needle in a haystack except the needle is the size of a hair from a hairless cat's butt.

I'd rather we not attack either her chosen field or person, please. This place can be much better and having someone providing good nutritional info or research would be a bonus. Focusing on rice cakes, isn't it.

Perhaps it's the blog format. I don't know. But I expect the site to take a more in depth view on macro and micro nutrition. There is a lot of info to provide that would be helpful before ragging on rice cakes.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was surprised and disappointed to see this blog posted.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Useful carrier for my protein I find - 2 rice cakes with horseradish and smoked mackerel today - yum!!
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    LOL! Eating 70 calories worth of rice cakes will make you fat — have a 400 calorie peanut butter and banana wrap instead!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I'd rather we not attack either her chosen field or person, please. This place can be much better and having someone providing good nutritional info or research would be a bonus. Focusing on rice cakes, isn't it.

Perhaps it's the blog format. I don't know. But I expect the site to take a more in depth view on macro and micro nutrition. There is a lot of info to provide that would be helpful before ragging on rice cakes.

I agree with this also. Allowing the conversation to degrade into personal attacks and generalizations (like almost every other thread on MFP does) doesn't help at all.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    *applause*
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

We didn't attack anyone. I didn't attack the person. You attacked the ridiculous claim and I attacked the professional field. With a post like this, I'll add it to the long list of circumstantial evidence I've personally seen and stand by my assertion.

I tend not to have high expectations of anything on the internet, even nice sites like this one that do occasionally provide good user feedback. The problem with having an official blog done by the site is that the advice that comes from it can become more powerful than it is, especially silly garbage like that post.

"But the official blog said it so it must be true."

It means they should be exceedingly careful about what they post.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    For a much healthier option, try swapping out your rice cakes with some cauliflower. C'est tres bien mon ami!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    My post questioning on similar grounds doesn't seem to have been approved.

Wish they'd go for informed opinion, rather than the pop-trash you'd expect to see in some magazine that's got to justify people buying 12 issues a year, or websites desperate for clicks.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    For a much healthier option, try swapping out your rice cakes with some cauliflower. C'est tres bien mon ami!

No. You can't make me. :tongue:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif