getting sent home with food

Options
My Grandma always sends me home with her delicious cake....should I just throw it out! I won't eat it if it isn't in the house. :(

Replies

• TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I'd throw it out...cake is something I'd binge on
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I would cry, but I would throw it out. Had to do it at work one day.

I am lucky cuz I have my hubs who eats anything..........I dont even get to see it a second day :laugh:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    it is marshmallow cake...i already had a piece when I got home last night and a small piece now. She didn't send me home with the whole cake...but still. I am out of control!
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    throw it away!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I say keep it. McDonalds will be around forever (as will most other junk) but your granny's cake? I say keep it and eat it slowly. She baked it with love!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    it is marshmallow cake...i already had a piece when I got home last night and a small piece now. She didn't send me home with the whole cake...but still. I am out of control!
    If you feel out of control, most definitely get rid of the cake. You'll feel far better if you do and can feel like you're back in control of making good food choices again.:flowerforyou:
    I say keep it. McDonalds will be around forever (as will most other junk) but your granny's cake? I say keep it and eat it slowly. She baked it with love!
    Cake isn't love, it's full of tons of sugar, fats, eggs and white flour. :laugh::sick:
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ...how are you going to be 130 on Valentines Day if you are eating CAKE? Is eating cake going to bring you closer to your goal?

THROW IT OUT NOW!

(sorry...Im trying some tough love)
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Anything I want to make sure I don't eat, I take to work. You could put a tub of lard on the coffee bar and it would be picked clean in less than 30 minutes.

I would probably take it home have another small piece the next day, then take it to the coffee bar.

:)

--Carter
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Do you have a neighbour who likes good cake? Do you have a group home nearby where someone would think they'd reached heaven to have some cake like that? If you do eat it, enjoy every bite slowly. Savour it. Tell yourself you love yourself while you eat it. Then go for a good brisk walk . Also, mark its calories in your food diary. I do eat what I like but mark it all in and try to cut down somewhere else. It's about balance. If we have those treats (if that stuff is still our treat) we have to balance it with a broth soup and salad meal and an extra walk.
    By the way. It's lovely you have a loving granny who makes delicious cake. Enjoy her.
    :flowerforyou:
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    If you don't feel like throwing it away as it is your granny's then give it away to someone who will munch it all up! :) Don't keep it around if it will tempt you!! GET RID OF IT! :):)

Amber :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I am out of control!
    Did some miss this part of her post???!! Why suggest she eat the cake, save the cake, savour the cake, etc. when she's clearly shared she feels out of control and is asking for help? :frown:
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    toss it.
    it's the thought that came with it that counts, and Grandma knows you love her cake one way or another :-)
    God Bless and happy holidays!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    regift it to a neighbor and get rid of it if throwing it out bothers you...but lose it NOW!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I am going to throw it out, thanks so much guys! I have never been a food waster, but it is bad news. I try to say 'no' when Granny pushes it, but I take it and tell myself I won't eat it. It is just way too tempting and comforting. I am throwing it out so that I am 130 on Valentines day...tough love works lol
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I am going to throw it out, thanks so much guys! I have never been a food waster, but it is bad news. I try to say 'no' when Granny pushes it, but I take it and tell myself I won't eat it. It is just way too tempting and comforting. I am throwing it out so that I am 130 on Valentines day...tough love works lol
    :drinker: Healthier choices are sometimes harder choices but ALWAYS worth it in the end. Good for you taking control:flowerforyou:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I always have a hard time throwing things away, my family gives me, especially food b/c I always wonder, what if I am starving one day (I'm a weirdo).. I would try to find someone to give it to..

I accidentally left a bunch of food my mom packed up for me yesterday, sitting on her table so I wouldn't be faced with this.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just by-pass your body and flush it straight down the toilet!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I know I used to feel that way, not wanting to 'waste' food but really how is it 'not wasting' it to put it on our bodies when we know it's not healthy for us. I don't mean that an occasional treat isn't OK, but when we KNOW we're out of control why stuff ourselves with food simply because we don't want to 'waste it'.

Gaining so much weight, then losing that weight & thankfully now being at goal I have learned so much about how important my body is & what I fuel it with. My body gets me around, it moves me places that I could never go if I continued to abuse it like I used too. I would rather see cake in the trash than aching joints or feeling unable to be out in public because I'm staying inside instead beating myself up worrying everyone will stare at my body in a judging manner. I would rather see crap food in the garbage than give up my new found confidence & freedom once again:love: .

I sure didn't worry about food when I was a healthy weight in the past, if I was hungry I ate, if not I didn't. Simple as that:heart: I'm at that point again, and damn if I wanna go back to eating crap so I don't hurt anyone's feeling. Anyone feel this? I'm pretty positive I'm not the only one out here not worried any longer about hurting someone's feeling over a cookie.:bigsmile:

We are all at various stages and we all grew up in different ways with parents growing up in different times. My parents grew up during the Depression, I fight the urge to save pieces of foil to this day and reuse them. :blushing: :sad: :tongue: Is there something wrong with recycling? NO WAY! But the difference is are doing it for the right reason, to help the environment, or out of fear or obsessiveness. Same as 'wasting food'....why are we REALLY saving it? To feed the hungry or to save it, 'just in case'.....:noway:

Saving goodies after stuffing yourself the day before doesn't seem productive unless you truly can be one of those ppl that are at the point that can portion it out and freeze it. I don't give goodies to ppl anymore as I don't feel anyone needs the sugary crap (and most ppl I know do not want it). I'm not talking about a cookie or a small brownie.:tongue: I'm talking platefuls that ppl get around this time. None gets ONE plateful they get many so why on earth would I want to add to their sugar overload. lol My thinking on junk food has changed greatly even more so from when I was at a healthy weight before I gained weight. Gotta love MFP for reteaching us the value of food and how to place less importance on it.

I greatly admire those of you that are tossing and getting back on track today and even more so those that logged in on days you ate less than healthy but wanted to compare the cals and see how you did. That took a lot of courage and guts to do that when you knew you'd likely be over. But it sounds like some of you were pretty surprised not to have been over anywhere near as much as you thought. Kudos to those of you who watched the log and worked out midday to be able to finish eating the rest of the day!:laugh: :tongue:

I don't mean this to come off preachy AT ALL, honest I don't. I hope it doesn't because it's the furthest thing from my intent. I just feel we might want to consider not pushing food on ppl that say they are out of control. Isn't this what every other blog and thread has been about lately? Relatives and friends getting upset with us and pushing food at us even when we say no? It's really not that different at all. So Grandma made the cookies, Uncle Moe made the buttery mashed potatoes, we don't want them? So we don't eat them, who's taking the weight home? Not Grandma, not Uncle Moe, We ARE! lol

OK, the end. Guess I had a little something on my mind:smokin: :laugh:

:drinker: :wink:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I get stuck with this dilemma a lot, if I can't bring myself to throw it out I just throw it in the freezer. I usually forget about it, but even if I don't you kind of have to pre-plan eating it because it's frozen, as oppose to just picking off a little slice every time you see it. (At least that's what I'd do =/ )
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Definitely throw it out or give it away. DON'T KEEP IT!