Demotivated and depressed.

Options
I hate going to the gym, but I feel guilty when I don't go. I feel guilty when I eat something "bad" but I actually get angry when I can't have it. What the hell is wrong with me?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Ditch the guilt. It's a wasted emotion. Don't go to the gym if you hate it. Set a reasonable calorie target (aim for 1/2 a pound weekly) and eat whatever you want to your calorie goal. Use a food scale and track accurately.

You'll lose weight.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You need to find an activity that you enjoy or else this isn't going to work long term. I run, but that isn't for everybody.

I don't think anything is wrong with you. You just haven't found something that you enjoy enough. But when you do, then you can have those bad things occasionally without guilt.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your a normal person! Sometimes I just want to sit around and do nothing all day. I eat like crap and I love my sweets. I make myself workout when I don't want to! I think we all go through this and sometimes we just have to push ourselves!

Oh and I've tried to do Atkins or not eat sweets and chips AND I crave it even more. It's best in moderation and don't beat yourself up over it!
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Others have given some good advice already. I'm just wondering about the depression as it can color everything "bleak". Consuming sugar or alcohol can set up a cycle of ups and downs and getting those things in balance can help balance your mood, if that is part of the problem. Your diary isn't open, so hard to see what might be going on with food. As for the gym, I'm pretty sure for myself, I would benefit from doing more strength training in the weight room, but I'm having so much fun in the classes that I'm reluctant to shift my focus. The fact that I love the classes and the music makes me happy and wanting to come back! Is there something that your gym offers that you could add into your schedule and make it more fun for you to be there?

Feeling guilty only makes the issue worse. If you're gonna do something.....or not do something.....try to fully enjoy whatever it is without the guilt. I think we think that if we feel guilty about something, that somehow it will stop our behavior; that if we feel bad enough about ourselves, we'll change something. I think maybe just the opposite is true.....that if we fully accept or allow (enjoy even!) our behavior, then we offer ourselves the opportunity to fully satisfy that particular need.....and move on!

Okay, I got pretty intensely into the advice giving.......take what you like and leave the rest......and it may all be garbage anyways! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Depression is ager turned on the self so try not to be so mad at yourself. Where is it written that you have to go to a gym? I don't as anything called a "gym" gives me bad high school flashbacks! Do the kind of exercise you like that makes you feel good. I work out to DVDs in my own house and I love them! When I have too much work and am exhausted, I just do not work out. There is no point in beating myself up over it. Last night, I overdid the wine. My husband bought a new wine from one of our favorite vineyards and ...well... the bottle is gone if you know what I mean? :ohwell: Again, if you were my friend and I told you this, you would tell me there was no point in beating myself up over it, but to move on right? Well, tell yourself the same thing you would tell a friend. Be kind to you , OK? You've lost 29 pounds!!! There is nothing wrong with you! :flowerforyou:
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First of all, who said you have to go to the gym? You don't. You can get exercise many, many other ways. Its spring, go out & take a walk in this (finally after a brutal winter!!!) beautiful weather. If you have stairs in your house, walk up and down them several times a day. Put on some music & dance.

Secondly, there really aren't any "bad" foods. All you need to do is re-learn portion control. That way there are no forbidden foods to make you feel guilty.

Please feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like. Good luck, you can do this!