Pre-Maintenance

Options

Replies

• Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! I read the blog post about a maintenance plan. That really sounds like a great idea. I am formulating my maintenance plan now. As so many of you have said, I too have lost weight, then gained it all back. No more! For the first time in my life, I am going to have a maintenance plan. Part of it will be logging onto this site and recording my weight. I don't want to go up on my calories if possible. My diet doctor said I should get about 10 pounds lower than my goal weight. I will continue to check in with her once a month for at least a couple of months after I get to my goal.

Maintenance tactics so far:
    Logging into this site and recording weight
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is great! Bumping for when I hope to be in maintenance - in 6-9 mos from now *sigh*

Same here. The last 3 months went by pretty fast, so it will go by before we know it!
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not too far away from maintenance, either, so this thread was very welcome! Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great thread:smile:

I'm about 1kg from my goal. I'm still debating whether to lose another 2kg, since I still have a bit of belly fat. But to be honest I'm happy with my body, so I think I'll switch to maintaining for a few months at least. I'm UK size 10 (us 6) and I don't really want to be any smaller! I'm only 5"3 in case that helps :laugh:

My plan is that once I reach my goal weight I will add 100kcal every couple of weeks until I stop losing. At the moment I'm only losing slowly, so I expect it will be another month before I start upping calories. I will carry on logging but I might try having a break from that if I am doing well with maintaining.

I have lost weight before, but my current weight is my lowest ever since about age 15. This is the first time I've ever really had a plan for keeping a healthy weight. Although in the past I've stayed at a stable (but heavier) weight for months or years at a time just by regular weighing and keeping an eye on portion size. Hopefully it won't be too hard, fingers crossed.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day. I say this because.. I again..am losing the weight I lost a few months ago. As you so correctly stated…most of us gain the weight back.

The reason I have regained is each and every time I avoided the scale and reality.

While weighing everyday can be bad while losing weight can be counter productive. It is the key to keeping it off.
  • positive714
    Options
    I have about five pounds left to go before I reach my goal weight and let me be the first to say, these last "vanity pounds" are killer to get off!

My only question or concern, is there anything I should be doing now to prep myself for maintenance or should I wait until I hit my goal weight before upping the calories? I want to make the transition into maintenance as smooth and natural for my body as possible so that the weight will STAY OFF!

Also, just wanted to say that this thread has been super helpful, hopeful and filled with positive love! It's wonderful :flowerforyou:
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day. I say this because.. I again..am losing the weight I lost a few months ago. As you so correctly stated…most of us gain the weight back.

The reason I have regained is each and every time I avoided the scale and reality.

While weighing everyday can be bad while losing weight can be counter productive. It is the key to keeping it off.

So True!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    My first time I thought I was at maintenance was that I was done. I stopped my exercise though I was more mindful of my food. I did fine with my weight, but I did not see any improvements. My second year has been the idea/ goal that if I can lose the weight with dedication and gradual progress, why not approach physical fitness in the same way? Becoming fit and strong is like the next frontier in my new life. All my friends think I am a fitness freak, though if you could see me you would laugh/snort. All I have to be is just a little better than I was yesterday and I will get by.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing fantastic, so close to your goals! I am 5'1, and all my clothes are falling off of me. I tried on a Size 12 in jeans. I thought they fit, but when I got home they were way too baggy. I can't believe I can probably fit into a Size 10. I haven't been that small in years. My goal is a Size 8 and a Medium top. Right now I am still in XL in tops.

I only have 12 more pounds to go to get to my first goal. That might be enough weight loss for me, I will have to see. I am 142 now and my goal is 130.

I like that we are giving each other tips on what to do for maintenance.

I was a compulsive weigher. Every day. I put the scale away and only pulled it out once a week. That didn't last. When I got heavy I didn't weight myself at all. Now I am back to weighing every day again. Doesn't that seem a bit obsessive?
  • stacydegregorio
    Options
    Hi, I've saved & bookmarked your maintenance plan. I'm down almost 35 lbs & plan on going into maintenance when I lose approx 10 more lbs. I agree a plan is what got me here & a plan is needed to STAY fit. My biggest question, and anyone can answer is how many calories are needed on maintenance?? I'm at 1200 / day while losing. I exercise 4x week for between 200 - 420 calories burned each time (depending what I'm doing). I RARELY go above the 1200 calories even with exercising so my net is good each day. i'm feeling good. More energy, etc. I just really need to know what the daily requirement is on maintenance? TY TY in advance! If it helps I'm 52 and 5' tall. My goal weight will be to stay around 125 but not over 129.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Bump to re read again. I have been on maintenance for about three weeks and finding it harder than losing.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ah, I needed this. Lots of interesting and useful info here . and I am sure more will be added.

Looking forward to being on maintenance in a few weeks.
  • krys185
    krys185 Posts: 8
    Options
    Monitor your weight, if you start gaining, eat at a deficit for a day or two to get you back on track. That's the mind set that I am taking anyway
  • emmawatts22
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    Useful thread, thanks OP!

I'm a little way off my goal yet, but it's in sight so I need to start thinking about this.

Congrats to all the posters who have come so close to their goals! :smile:
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options

True!

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minding-the-body/201312/daily-weighing-may-help-manage-your-weight
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've saved & bookmarked your maintenance plan. I'm down almost 35 lbs & plan on going into maintenance when I lose approx 10 more lbs. I agree a plan is what got me here & a plan is needed to STAY fit. My biggest question, and anyone can answer is how many calories are needed on maintenance?? I'm at 1200 / day while losing. I exercise 4x week for between 200 - 420 calories burned each time (depending what I'm doing). I RARELY go above the 1200 calories even with exercising so my net is good each day. i'm feeling good. More energy, etc. I just really need to know what the daily requirement is on maintenance? TY TY in advance! If it helps I'm 52 and 5' tall. My goal weight will be to stay around 125 but not over 129.

You can figure your calorie needs with this formula. BMR is base metabolic rate, or the number of calories your body needs to function at rest. Figure in the activity multiplier that corresponds with the amount of exercise you'll be doing to maintain your goal weight.

BMR for Men: = 66 + (6.23 X weight in pounds) + (12.7 X height in inches) – (6.8 X age)

BMR for Women: = 655 + (4.35 X weight in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) – (4.7 X age)

Activity Multiplier:
    Little or No Exercise, Desk Job: 1.2 x BMR
    Light Exercise, Sports 1 to 3 Times Per Week: 1.375 x BMR
    Moderate Exercise, Sports 3 to 5 Times Per Week 1x BMR
    Heavy Exercise, Sports 6 to 7 Times Per Week: 1.725 x BMR
  • djones209
    djones209 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am SO scared because I am about 14 pounds from maintenance! This is also the third time for me. I am not stressing about losing those last pounds, but I am really stressing about keeping this weight off for good! I am so nervous and worried about it. There are some good ideas along with motivation and support on this topic.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Great information here. I believe I'm within 10 pounds to maintenance and it will be a welcome challenge.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info here so I am posting so I can find it again! I am still far from maintenance but I am getting married in September and was told my dress(which I purchased 6 months and 20lbs ago) can only be altered so much so starting in June when I have my first true fitting I will have to maintain until after the wedding. I am already worried about it!!