The Truth About Rice Cakes

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    LOL! Eating 70 calories worth of rice cakes will make you fat — have a 400 calorie peanut butter and banana wrap instead!

:laugh:

Peanut butter and bananas together is my biggest calorie adherence downfall these days. The combination of sugar and fat is just too perfect, and I always want more.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    For a much healthier option, try swapping out your rice cakes with some cauliflower. C'est tres bien mon ami!

I have a faux rice cake recipe that uses cauliflower as a substitute for the puffed rice. It's decadent.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Guess it comes back to the old adage, 'everything in moderation'. Labelling foods good or bad just isn't helpful. If I was going to publicly trash a food, it sure wouldn't be rice cakes. I've never seen them mentioned in one of those "what made you obese?" posts :-/

Personally, I don't like them unless they're chocolate covered. But then everything tastes good with chocolate on top :)

57505D07-84D2-48AD-854A-2AA49668621A_zpsgruoabrk.jpg
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I spotted it in my Facebook feed and realised that the 'official' MyFitnessPal point of view isn't ever going to gel with mine, and not just because the recommended calories are too low. I suppose the problem is that there's not enough new and exciting to write about, maybe?
  • Happilyeverafters
    Options
    What do you expect? It's advice coming from a dietician, a field rife with just about every nutrition nutbaggery known to man. There are good ones out there but finding them is like that proverbial needle in a haystack except the needle is the size of a hair from a hairless cat's butt.
    Well, I feel I need to step in and defend my professional field. In the field of dietetics, we try to stress the importance of a healthy balanced diet that is evidence based. How is that "nutbaggery" ? That being said, we also believe in moderation. As for the article, I agree with the OP. She could have written about other important nutritional issues. The bottom line is, if you like eating your rice cakes, go ahead and eat your rice cakes. I enjoy eating rice cakes I also would like to invite you to take a look at eatrigt.org. where you can learn about the field of dietetics and what we stand for. Thank you.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What do you expect? It's advice coming from a dietician, a field rife with just about every nutrition nutbaggery known to man. There are good ones out there but finding them is like that proverbial needle in a haystack except the needle is the size of a hair from a hairless cat's butt.
    Well, I feel I need to step in and defend my professional field. In the field of dietetics, we try to stress the importance of a healthy balanced diet that is evidence based. How is that "nutbaggery" ? That being said, we also believe in moderation. As for the article, I agree with the OP. She could have written about other important nutritional issues. The bottom line is, if you like eating your rice cakes, go ahead and eat your rice cakes. I enjoy eating rice cakes I also would like to invite you to take a look at eatrigt.org. where you can learn about the field of dietetics and what we stand for. Thank you.

You're right, your entire profession is filled with people exactly as you described. Every member is level headed, preaches moderation and a healthy diet.

I stand corrected.

Just as my description of the profession and of the number of good practitioners was overly disparaging (the needle comment was a poorly delivered and recieved joke), yours is far too flowery.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Guess it comes back to the old adage, 'everything in moderation'. Labelling foods good or bad just isn't helpful. If I was going to publicly trash a food, it sure wouldn't be rice cakes. I've never seen them mentioned in one of those "what made you obese?" posts :-/

Personally, I don't like them unless they're chocolate covered. But then everything tastes good with chocolate on top :)

Brussels sprouts? Human flesh?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    LOL! Eating 70 calories worth of rice cakes will make you fat — have a 400 calorie peanut butter and banana wrap instead!

You said a mouthful! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've actually been experimenting with a high carb diet in the last 3 weeks. I've increased from 150-200g carbs daily to 300-400g daily following Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book to fuel my endurance running with a goal of leaning out to my best racing weight. In order to do that I've had to drop protein to .8g/kg body weight and fat to 20% of total calories.

It has taken my body 3 weeks to adjust to higher carbs, but now my weight is as it was when I started 3 weeks ago, my body fat % is dropping and my glycogen stores are maintained far higher than they were with a lower carb diet. I have more energy, I'm not cold anymore and I don't need naps like I did before.

I have found brown rice cakes to be helpful for getting the carbs I need without added fat.

How's your muscle mass?
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

Yes . . . oh yes! Nothing is better than Human flesh/Brussels sprout/chocolate truffels! When I can fit them into my macros, of course!YUMMY! YUMMY!:tongue:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I read it with a chuckle, and yes, absolutely agreed
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My post questioning on similar grounds doesn't seem to have been approved.

Wish they'd go for informed opinion, rather than the pop-trash you'd expect to see in some magazine that's got to justify people buying 12 issues a year, or websites desperate for clicks.

Informed opinions don't sell. They're playing to their market. Also, people eat ish like that up. (the, don't eat x BC it is bad/will make you fat, etc)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The truth about rice cakes: they taste like expanded polystyrene
  • Happilyeverafters
    Options

You're right, your entire profession is filled with people exactly as you described. Every member is level headed, preaches moderation and a healthy diet.

I stand corrected.

Just as my description of the profession and of the number of good practitioners was overly disparaging (the needle comment was a poorly delivered and recieved joke), yours is far too flowery.

Thanks I love being right ;)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I stand corrected.

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yeah, this too.
    And apparently they smell like hamster. At least my daughters thinks so. Won't touch them. Which is another reason I buy them as a snack. I can pretty much be sure I'll have them went I want.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've actually been experimenting with a high carb diet in the last 3 weeks. I've increased from 150-200g carbs daily to 300-400g daily following Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book to fuel my endurance running with a goal of leaning out to my best racing weight. In order to do that I've had to drop protein to .8g/kg body weight and fat to 20% of total calories.

It has taken my body 3 weeks to adjust to higher carbs, but now my weight is as it was when I started 3 weeks ago, my body fat % is dropping and my glycogen stores are maintained far higher than they were with a lower carb diet. I have more energy, I'm not cold anymore and I don't need naps like I did before.

I have found brown rice cakes to be helpful for getting the carbs I need without added fat.

How's your muscle mass?

120lbs LBM at 5'7". Happy with that.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Yeah, this too.
    And apparently they smell like hamster. At least my daughters thinks so. Won't touch them. Which is another reason I buy them as a snack. I can pretty much be sure I'll have them went I want.

My 9-year old has loved them as a snack ever since she was chewing solid food.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat the rice, preferably with butter or Thai chili sauce.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Depends on how well cooked the Brussels sprouts are: al dente, yes. Mushy, no. Human flesh covered in chocolate? That's a bit risqué for here. Leave that for the 'Chit Chat, Fun and Games' forums :wink:

Yeah, this too.
    Oh my god, your daughters are right on the button :laugh: