Soy or Whey Protein ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about soy milk, would assume it applies to soy protein powder..

http://www.strengthsensei.com/why-soy-milk-is-a-con-job/

Great article that provides zero support for any of its listed arguments

1. The amount depends greatly on how the soy is processed

2. So does spinich, broccoli and cucumbers. Avoid those as well?

3. Hot topic word, but the same can be said of dairy milk, corn, grains, etc., so not really an argument against anything but GMOs

4. Ongoing debate, but stated as fact. Great use of fear inducing terminology though

5. Argument seems to be mostly toward those who already have a thyroid issue

6. Oligosaccharides are found in many things, and also "can be synthesized from lactose" (thanks google)

7. Strong evidence that this is an issue in infants (primarily in formula), but I have yet to see a study that shows any concerns among adults

Having said all that, I use whey, not soy, but not for any of these reasons. But really, that "article" is simply sad.

The article I posted has summed up other articles I have read on the subject. The greatest flaw from this one is the lack of sources, thus making it seem an opinion piece.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Soy has antioxidants that whey doesn't. Also, there is nothing wrong with soy! Trust me, I've spent the last week reading about 80 undergrad projects about it.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Food is best, whey, casein, and egg next. Soy is garbage. Effs with your hormones and is generally just bad news imo.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Soy has antioxidants that whey doesn't. Also, there is nothing wrong with soy! Trust me, I've spent the last week reading about 80 undergrad projects about it.

Cause undergrads have allll the answers...smh
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein and my trainer has told me to have it AFTER my workout to help repair muscles. He said to eat carbs before to give you energy for the burn/workout.
  • momoneka
    momoneka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Glad to see all of these answers because I just went out to buy some whey powder. :)
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Actually...they had to get all their information from the primary literature...so why not try actually reading scientific articles where real scientists present their results ....

And it does not affect your hormones....it can even help with cancer and cardiovascular disease

Inform yourself before preaching
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are needing protein supplements? Have you been diagnosed with protein deficiency?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Food is best, whey, casein, and egg next. Soy is garbage. Effs with your hormones and is generally just bad news imo.
    I'm afraid that is just total nonsense. I suggest actually do some proper research
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    How do you know you are needing protein supplements? Have you been diagnosed with protein deficiency?

I'd imagine someone could figure out if they need more protein by using this site for it's intended purpose: tracking calories and macronutrients. Just a hunch.
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reason not to eat whey (e.g. vegan, lactose intolerant, etc), whey is superior in every way.

Most Whey Protein powders are lactose free.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    soy is not good for men because it contains phytoestrogens
  • rejectuf
    Options
    Unless you have a reason not to eat whey (e.g. vegan, lactose intolerant, etc), whey is superior in every way.

Not true. Whey Protein Isolate is basically lactose free, but other forms of whey protein will still have some lactose.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whey. I say that because soy blocks the body's ability to absorb iron.
  • Hondo_Man
    Options

And it does not affect your hormones...

Yes and no. Soy contains isoflavones which are plant estrogen. It may, could, possibly, might mimic the the body's hormone production of estrogen, but if so, at a very slight level depending upon the amount of soy intake.

For women it's not really an issue, but again could be beneficial if low estrogen levels were determined. At the same time, the "mimicking" would be slight if at all.

For men, especially those in a bulking up phase and needing large amounts of additional protein in their diets, most will avoid soy due to any chance of gynecomastia occurring.
  • Hondo_Man
    Options

Not true. Whey Protein Isolate is basically lactose free, but other forms of whey protein will still have some lactose.

No, is true. Again "most" whey powders (isolates, hydrolyzed, and concentrates) are processed by ion-exchange, which removes the lactose, fats and carbs. There is also a filtering process which ensures 90-100% of the non-whey isolates are removed.

The lactose comes from the sugar in milk and these processes remove the sugar and hence the lactose. A Whey protein, regardless of type, which contains no carbohydrates, will be lactose free.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Organic hemp for me! I don't hate soy, but I am not for the over processed version of it. If it's organic I am fine with it. Whey... no way for me.
  • rejectuf
    Options

No, is true. Again "most" whey powders (isolates, hydrolyzed, and concentrates) are processed by ion-exchange, which removes the lactose, fats and carbs. There is also a filtering process which ensures 90-100% of the non-whey isolates are removed.

The lactose comes from the sugar in milk and these processes remove the sugar and hence the lactose. A Whey protein, regardless of type, which contains no carbohydrates, will be lactose free.

I'm sorry but everything I have read says that concentrates are NOT lactose free. They are highly reduced in lactose but not lactose free. This is because it is not pure protein. A whey protein concentrate is anywhere from 30-89% protein by weight. The rest is either fat or carbs (which would be lactose).