distracted while working out

Options
I'm tired of hearing from advice sources that working out can be very helpful to alleviate stress and reduce feelings of being upset. One of the biggest barriers to working out for me involves getting very distracted by intrusive upsetting thoughts and memories while working out. For example - A conflict at work involving my boss saying or imposing something that makes me angry happens. Within 24 hours of this situation, while doing zumba I have difficulty concentrating on the steps, mess up, because I can't get my mind to stop ruminating and worrying about this situation. This results in frustration, which makes working out in times like this very undesirable. Does this happen to other people? How do I allow working out to help and not hurt me during times of high stress?

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    start running
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    start running
    YESS!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    start running

Not a bad idea... it is pretty hard to think about anything when all the blood has left your brain to fuel your legs.
  • MeganGreenlee
    MeganGreenlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do different types of cardio like treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc. Those don't require any thinking.
  • apswartz
    apswartz Posts: 1
    Options
    Try some of the ideas here... http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/mindfulness.htm

"Mindfulness is the practice of purposely focusing your attention on the present moment—and accepting it without judgment. Mindfulness is now being examined scientifically and has been found to be a key element in happiness."
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    start running
    YESS!

This is such excellent advice on many levels, but mostly it reminds me that running is also good for your brain.
  • lnt_helent
    lnt_helent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As someone who hates running, not running!! I find I focus more on things I'm stressed about when I'm running. Make yourself a playlist of high octane songs that put you in a good mood and listen to them when you're doing your thing at the gym. I find it impossible to be grumpy when things like Pendulum are rampaging about in my eardrums! If that doesn't work for you, download an audiobook you've always wanted to read and listen to that. I hope you find some peace of mind :-)
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Channel it into your workout? This is why I throw heavy weights around and run. Exercise can be an excellent form of stress management and it sounds like you might need some more productive practices for handling stress.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would actually suggest that you talk to a mental health professional, because it sounds like some of these worries are really getting in the way of your everyday life. Beyond that, the ideas already mentioned (running, working out with music) are good ones. Maybe try working out with a friend so that you have someone to talk to and you can motivate each other. Don't push yourself to work out if you think doing it right then is going to just give you some time to ruminate. Exercise doesn't work as a coping tool for everyone. You can always work out later when you're feeling better.

Best of luck!
  • drew06
    drew06 Posts: 28
    Options
    lift weights...really heavy weights. Try thinking about other things when waterfalls of sweat are dropping off your forehead and your body feels like collapsing because you are on your last set of squats, it is impossible! The only thing running through your mind is how the hell are you going to get back up after squatting.
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    start running

^ I was going to say this too... sometimes thinking about a frustrating situation makes me run even harder, which is always a good thing! More often than not, my mind actually goes somewhat blank when I run. Give it a shot!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If not running, then cycling, or any other *OUTDOOR* endurance/aerobic activity that involves a lot of getting your *kitten* moving from one location to another.

Either that, or try a social sport, such as soccer or volleyball. Nothing will get BS off your mind faster than having good times with other people.