Healthy Alternatives to Cake & Chocolate

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a strong sweet-tooth, and was looking for alternative (healthy) snacks as an alternative to cake & chocolates.
The only nuts I can eat are Almond. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I like the dole dippers chocolate covered bananas or strawberries in the frozen section :) yummy!
  • etscher
    etscher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hear that black bean brownies are actually pretty good and add in some protein so you're less likely to eat too many of them.

Sometimes it's best not to find an alternative, but rather to train yourself to eat only a serving of those foods. Otherwise, you might find yourself trying to eat too many alternatives and you wind up eating more calories or fat than you would have, had you just eaten the thing you really wanted. But if they are trigger foods for you, try not keeping them in your house at all if you have a tendency to binge on them.

Have you ever tried nutella? I loooove that stuff. I have an apple or pear every morning and i dip it in nutella for breakfast. It's a good way to get in your chocolate fix without going crazy.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by "alternative"? I mean, what is it that you're getting out of the chocolate and cake that you could replace with something else? Personally I eat chocolate and cake because I like the specific taste of chocolate and cake, and there isn't really a substitute for that. So, I eat chocolate and cake in small portions that fit into a balanced diet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have a strong sweet-tooth, and was looking for alternative (healthy) snacks as an alternative to cake & chocolates.
    The only nuts I can eat are Almond. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
    Why not just include some of these things in small amounts as part of your calorie goals. As long as you plan there is no reason why you can't have these things normally limiting them too much will make you want them more.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Drop the cake and eat lots of dark chocolate. And as for black bean brownies, I thought they sounded luscious. In the flesh, they were dry and nearly tasteless. Stick with good chocolate. Healthy it is!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Apple slices & blueberries & fat free or sugar free whipped cream.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.
    Why not just include some of these things in small amounts as part of your calorie goals. As long as you plan there is no reason why you can't have these things normally limiting them too much will make you want them more.
    I have to agree on this, I have a mega sweet tooth and chocolate is my BIGGEST downfall. Did I give it up when I started out here? HELL no. I just watched how much of it I was eating, and then figured out how much to drop from my diet. Now I buy those Lindt bars, several different flavors at a time, and if I have a craving, I have one or two squares, and save one night a week for the full fledge junky ones like Oh Henry bars or Glosette Raisins. Did that last night with some popcorn. As for the almonds, that's one of my favorite nuts, I say go for it, but remember, IN MODERATION!!! Blue Diamond has a great Smokehouse flavor, if you need a little more kick than just the standard raw or salted kinds.

Stay strong!!! You'll get through this. We all have our weaknesses after all. :happy: :blushing:
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    chocolate covered almonds are good.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What do you think is not 'healthy' about Cake & Chocolate for you?

And so - what would you be looking for in a 'healthy' alternative?

I incorporate both into a healthy lifestyle by doing exercise and making sure I meet an appropriate macro nutrient goal for my needs.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Less cake and chocolate?
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/09/2-ingredient-healthy-banana-bread-breakfast-cookies-with-delicious-add-ins/
    2 ingredient oatmeal cookies

smoothies with banana, almond milk, and cocoa powder.

tofu chocolate pudding (1 package firm tofu,stevia and cocoa powder to taste,1 ripe banana, chia seeds (optional))
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any "alternatives" but I'll tell you what I do. I buy low-calorie sweets, for example, Weight Watchers frozen smoothie and fudge bars. Or when my craving is stronger I buy a Hershey bar and eat 1/2 (slowly) and store the rest away for another time.
  • drew06
    drew06 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance.

This is the smartest thing to do, that is unless you lose control and find yourself going on a binge. Unfortunately there are not much alternatives to sweets that give us the mental satisfaction of eating sugary/fatty stuff.

If you do bake yourself, you could always try using sweetners such as stevia, less butter/oils and in its place use unsweetened apple sauce. I have found that it has a mild enough flavor to not come through and it really keeps the baked goods moist.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    There isn't much that can beat the four basic food groups - cakes, pies, candy and ice cream, but I've been finding out that Fuji apples, as an evening snack, seems to satisfy my sweet tooth..
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've limited myself to cake on people's birthday, but have more redirected rather than limited myself in the chocolate realm. I eat a serving or 2 of the ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips nearly every day, and have chocolate protein powder in my protein smoothie. I find myself very much looking forward to dinner, which is when I have the smoothie and chocolate chips, and haven't been tempted to eat all of the chocolate that is hanging around on people's desks at the office during the day.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like oats (robin hood quick oats, large flakes). I make it with water and it is 110 cal for 1/3c dry oats. I'll do 1/3 or 2/3 depending on my calories. Then I add in cocoa! (Only 20cal for 1tbsp!)
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have two chocolate shakes a day (I like chocolate).

Each shake is 180 calories, 3g of carbs and 30g of protein - with 8 ounces of water.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I dont know what country you are in but if you are in the UK there are products by 'nakd' that are nice. You can find them in health food shops and waitrose sells them too.

Today I had a cocoa mint bar which is basically made up of blended dates, raisins and cashews with a bit of cocoa and mint flavouring in. Not quite chocolate but very tasty and half the calories.

That said I do make room in my day for chocolate of some kind. Actual chocolate lol.
  • rutheglen
    rutheglen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make chocolate mousse, using a large bar of dark chocolate and 6 eggs - this makes 8 smallish very chocolatey desserts - at only 59 calories each!! Certainly enough to satisfy my chocolate urges!! ;) (I actually think they are perfectly sized, but my other half thinks they are way too small lol) Anyway, if you want to try it, I can give you the recipe
  • fxckyeahhappyface
    fxckyeahhappyface Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Vita Tops! I'm a total slave to cake and cupcakes, and those totally work. They are super good and 100 cals. I usually have one as a treat once a week and I'm not tempted by anything else...