How much weight did you lose before people noticed?

Options
Hi All,
Just wondering how much weight people lost before others noticed? I have been a yo-yo dieter for most of my life and I have a milestone birthday this year and want to slim down and get healthy. I am 34lbs down since January but nobody has really noticed, I was 239lbs at the start- do you think it is not as noticable in bigger people or dare not people comment on it?

Your thoughts?

Thank you x

Replies

• LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I hit 200 from 245 is about when....
  • neaka3
    neaka3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People might have noticed and just did not comment because i have not lost as much as you but some relatives and friends have noticed my efforts. Maybe ask someone
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    It was a long time before people really noticed on me. Due to me being so big. But also if it's people you see everyday then, it's not as noticeable.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    About 25 pounds
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    One person has noticed, at 22 lbs. down.
  • Fat422long
    Options
    Few people began when I hit 25 pounds. Tons of people when I hit 38.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My SO noticed at about 20 lbs down everyone else around 40.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    After 10 pounds. I had 23 pounds to lose.
  • ybmagpye
    ybmagpye Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A friend once told me, 'people notice the first third of the weight you lose, and the last third of the weight you lose'. I've found that to be true enough.
  • itzapril
    itzapril Posts: 4
    Options
    If they are people you see regularly they probably haven't noticed, people who don't see you as often will notice more!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    First person at 30, then last weekend family noticed at 34 gone. One brother in law asked first if I was ok and healthy, when I said yes he then said you look great. I have been guilty of not saying things but for me it was the green eyed monster taking over me.
  • evastria
    evastria Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My partner has noticed the 2-3lbs i've lost so far (though he's been hearing all about my chocolate cravings for two weeks so he might be lying!)
    My worry is seeing my mother in a month. She notices every change in my weight. I want to lose the weight but I know whats coming: her continuously asking if I'm eating enough, if I'm happy, if my relationship is good... Will be a long weekend!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down over the years - purposely in bulk/cut rather than yoyo - so I'll answer in 2 parts:

1 - about 20 pounds before it was noticed by people who didn't know I was losing weight.

2 - about 12 pounds gain of extra muscular weight before people noticed I was looking bigger in a good way!
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i started at 210 and i am now at 170. people around me started noticing at 185 but others started just about a week ago. i am also 5'1'' though. so i have alot more fat to show. lol
  • 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started at 244 and it was over 40lb before anyone noticed, someone I see a few times a week told me this week at 95 lb down they had only just noticed, which gave me a laugh.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    one of my buddies noticed 10 lbs in. everyone else started noticing around 20lbs in.

I still barely notice.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    People started noticing around 30 pounds, but most didn't say anything until I'd lost much more. Weight's a touchy subject and a lot of people don't want to say anything in case they step on insecurities.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am 18lbs down and got my first two comments this week. First was from a co-worker who sees me everyday. I was wearing a top that hadn't fit me in a long time and I guess it just showed off my weight loss more than my baggier clothes. Second was this morning, from a family member who hadn't seen me in a few months. The second person was nervous about asking me as she was afraid I'd get offended/self conscious.

So I reckon more people have probably noticed but aren't comfortable enough to comment. Which is fine.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    People started noticing around 30 pounds, but most didn't say anything until I'd lost much more. Weight's a touchy subject and a lot of people don't want to say anything in case they step on insecurities.

Yep, for example my friend posted a pic on FB, she looks at least 20lb thinner (from about 155-160 to maybe 125-130 I would guess) but I just said she looked amazing, wouldn't want to say anything about her actual weight in case she thinks I'm saying she *needed* to lose it!
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    About 10kg, but my mum is now losing and I noticed her weight loss at 5kg yet she weighs more than I did, odd!