An ode to old clothes

Options
Pearsquared
Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
#Weightlossproblems ahead.

I was doing a little spring cleaning, and thought I would share the stories of some of the clothes I had to donate because they were too big.

I had trouble getting rid of these clothes because there were stories behind them, and they were well-loved. However, they were either too worn or too cheap to make it worth getting them altered. I took some pictures for posterity.

My stats:

Height: 5'1''
Starting Weight: 180
Current Weight: 130
26 years old

First story: The Rocky Horror Picture Show Dress

I'd always wear this dress to showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. If you've ever been to one, you know what an event they are.

First, an old picture from college. I was busting out of the dress (and I had a lot of hair). It took a bit of effort to get it zipped up:
RhQRn0T.jpg

Now, it's a little baggier:
WVXiMMj.jpg

I'm pulling it back here. I've got a couple inches of fabric bunched up in back:
eaKrfXY.jpg

Next, a dress from my cousin's wedding. I was so proud at the time to be able to fit into a 14, but I definitely needed the stretch fabric on top. I couldn't find before pictures, but now, I don't need that stretchiness anymore:
KI4aLgD.jpg

Here's me pulling it back to make it fit:
Nuzts5Y.jpg

I've got a good handful of fabric, although the stretch made it hard to pull it back:
0nyMgel.jpg

Next, my old winter jacket. I loved this coat so much, and it's still in great condition even after five years of use. I hope someone else will love it.
QzkKEMt.jpg

Lastly, my most-loved leather jacket. Here's an old picture from college years again. It was pretty tight around the shoulders:
M5jLQ8T.jpg

This thing was pretty fitted at my highest weight. Now, not so much.
o7gtJus.jpg?1

It looks so good when I pull it back. D: I've considered getting it altered, but it's gotten quite a few snags and is so worn in spots that I'm not sure if it will last long after the alterations.
zMmfZwm.jpg?1

As an extra, a more traditional before/after:
t8p6MNE.png

I may keep the leather jacket just to try it on and remember how it used to fit me. The rest, however, will be donated, hopefully to someone that will enjoy them as much as I did.

I hope you enjoyed my ode to old clothes. (:

Replies

• klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What a fun post!! Congrats on your weight loss and remember, the memories are with you still and it feel good to donate lovely clothing to someone else to love!!
  • GotShellica
    GotShellica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Consider donating your nicer clothes to a women's charity that gives interview clothing to women looking for work. Locally, I take these types of items to Dress for Success. Might make you feel better to know your beloved, but far too big clothing is going to someone who will really appreciate it!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your post has made me realise just how much I love clothes, and how there is a story behind your favourite pieces. It's the same reason why I never got rid of my smaller clothes (from my university days). You are so right when you attach memories to clothes, I think I just realised I do the same. :smile:

But really, what a lovely way to tribute them and show them off to everybody, I don't know anything about alterations, so hopefully some one else will be able to offer you feedback on this.

Your before after pics? Great work! Look at the cutie smile you have! Your dedication and hardwork really shows.:flowerforyou:
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    Consider donating your nicer clothes to a women's charity that gives interview clothing to women looking for work. Locally, I take these types of items to Dress for Success. Might make you feel better to know your beloved, but far too big clothing is going to someone who will really appreciate it!
    That's a good idea. (: I've got lots of other clothes to donate as well that are more traditionally interview-y - these were just the most sentimental.

@klkateri: Thank you! I definitely agree. I love these clothes, but they still just sat in my closet because they didn't fit. If someone else can get some more wear out of them, that's the best thing that can happen.

@SunnyDuckling: I didn't realize how much I had become attached to them until I realized that these were the last of my clothes from college. They had survived the last clothing purge even though they hadn't fit then, either! And thank you! (:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That was so cool!! Thanks for sharing. It almost makes me wish I could do something similar, but I've donated things all along the way.

Just today though, I parted with a favorite t-shirt that I kept much longer than most because it went to "sleepwear" status. It was a teal mens XXL tee from Old Navy with a graphic of a boombox made out of names of music genres (ska, hip hop, etc). I LOVED that tee. I remember wearing it all the time when I was around 270 lb (not even my heaviest) and feeling cute in it because it was more fitted than most, but not too baggy so it showed off my chest without clinging to my belly. At that time it covered the tops of my hips but was nowhere near crotch length.

I even wore it when my husband and I first started dating in June 2012 and he helped me move. I kept wearing it until last summer when I'd lost about 20 lb and realized it looked frumpy on me. It became a sleep shirt but I finally got rid of it because even as a sleep shirt, it came almost to my knees - even though I am 5'8" - and the neck opening (previously a normal neck hole) was so big, it would slide over and expose my bra if I wore it around the house to lounge in. Such a SURREAL feeling. Now I am wearing ladies L/XL or men's L tees to sleep or work out in.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love this! And it's great that you are paying it forward by donating your clothes :)

Well done pear, you always kill it and you're looking fabulous.

P.s can't wait to see the new clothes you will undoubtably be buying :wink:
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    That was so cool!! Thanks for sharing. It almost makes me wish I could do something similar, but I've donated things all along the way.

Just today though, I parted with a favorite t-shirt that I kept much longer than most because it went to "sleepwear" status. It was a teal mens XXL tee from Old Navy with a graphic of a boombox made out of names of music genres (ska, hip hop, etc). I LOVED that tee. I remember wearing it all the time when I was around 270 lb (not even my heaviest) and feeling cute in it because it was more fitted than most, but not too baggy so it showed off my chest without clinging to my belly. At that time it covered the tops of my hips but was nowhere near crotch length.

I even wore it when my husband and I first started dating in June 2012 and he helped me move. I kept wearing it until last summer when I'd lost about 20 lb and realized it looked frumpy on me. It became a sleep shirt but I finally got rid of it because even as a sleep shirt, it came almost to my knees - even though I am 5'8" - and the neck opening (previously a normal neck hole) was so big, it would slide over and expose my bra if I wore it around the house to lounge in. Such a SURREAL feeling. Now I am wearing ladies L/XL or men's L tees to sleep or work out in.
    Wow, you've had an amazing transformation for sure. (: I have a shirt similar to that, and it's been designated as a sleep shirt now. It was an event shirt I wore when I was an intern for a local festival. I could practically wear this thing as a dress now. I've considered getting rid of it, but I don't think I could part with the sentimentality on that one, especially since I can still use it.

@Aly: Aww, thank you. It's been great having you as a friend along the way. And I know! I promised myself a reward of clothes when I hit 130, but I haven't gotten them yet!
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is definitely an awesome post. I think that when you start feeling the change in the way your clothes fit, that's the best feeling in the world. Congratulations on all your progress!
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    love this post, thank you & well done you look fab!
  • Fitness4ev
    Fitness4ev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOVE it !

I just went through closet and drawers again, today... Similar dilemmas. 117# gone. 3rd closet raid in 4 months... But, for me, hard to purge things I just bought couple months back...especially considering recently unemployed. Congrats to you! Keep moving fwd. Cheers !
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Like the ode to old clothes...congrats on your weight loss...
  • Pearsquared
    Options
    LOVE it !

I just went through closet and drawers again, today... Similar dilemmas. 117# gone. 3rd closet raid in 4 months... But, for me, hard to purge things I just bought couple months back...especially considering recently unemployed. Congrats to you! Keep moving fwd. Cheers !
    I had to do the same thing for some of my other clothes. It was weird getting rid of the clothes that I bought when I was "in progress". It was a little bit better, though, 'cause I had less sentimental feelings for them.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    GOOD JOB! :)
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :smile: You look fantastic

I understand your sentiments towards your clothes. I have so many that I couldn't get rid of in the hope one day they will fit again.

I would keep the leather jacket :smile:
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    SO COOL ! I love this :):) congrats on your awesome success :)
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I am also starting to pile up some clothes that are beginning to look too big on me. Some clothes i realized that I bought were only worn a few times. Just hard to let go but too expensive to alter.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishments ......... treat yourself to a lovely new leather jacket & enjoy ....... you deserve it !
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I adore this! And you look great :)
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    your post is great! just today I told my husband I need to find some summer tops,and before I could say anything he says " because all your old ones look like burlap sacks hanging on you!".lol..yes honey,,thanks for that!
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed your journey down clothing-memory lane!

I have dresses and tops that I feel the same about, but no longer fit. And I have shifted my sweatpants and old t-shirts into my work collection (I get dirty at work a lot) but I actually need to purge some of those things as well. 3XL sweatpants don't fit well anymore, when the new ones I've bought are men's XL.

I also have a beloved winter peacoat that I want to alter. My husband is allergic to wool, so it was hard to find a long, dressy one. It is a tent now though.

My closet will be one of my summer projects.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!