HR monitor question

Options
So I have been reading a few posts from people about their HRM and most have said that their monitor tells them they are burning less than MFP says. Should I be at all concerned mine told me I burned more? I just got it for Christmas, so I only used it today for my 8 mile run. I am going to take it to the gym with me this week and see what else I get for results as compared to MFP. Just curious to what others have to say. My HRM is a Timex Ironman with chest strap.

Replies

• arp1217
    arp1217 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different and it all depends on where your heart rate is landing. Everyone's heart rate is different as well. It's kinda cool that you are burning more, wish I was...LOL I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Good luck!
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    Hey I got mine for Christmas too and mine tells me I burn more as well. MFP may take your age, weight, and height into consideration, but it has no idea what your heart rate is and how hard you are working out. So I trust my hrm anyday over MFP.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The MFP estimates are averages. Some people will be over, others under, that's why the HRM is so nice. It gives you a closer estimate based on the actual effect the exercise is having on your body.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on the type of exercise. I find some of their numbers are lower or equal to my HRM numbers - many are higher. If you have programmed your HRM to you I would stick to those numbers. I never eat ALL my exercise cals anyway!
  • SafariLara
    Options
    Trust your monitor. it knows you best ;)
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I always go with what is on the heart rate monitor. I wear it for all exercise so I trust its accurate for me! The exercise machines say I burn more, MFP says I burn less but if you use the same one all the time (like a scale) then you can trust its accurate for you.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I always go with what is on the heart rate monitor. I wear it for all exercise so I trust its accurate for me! The exercise machines say I burn more, MFP says I burn less but if you use the same one all the time (like a scale) then you can trust its accurate for you.

i am exactly the same...my machines tell me i burn nearly double the amount my hrm says, yet for walking and stuff mfp calculates less than the hrm
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    curious what type of hrm you have and if it uses a chest strap.

i have a polar ft4 with chest strap and is a bit higher than mfp, but since mfp is guesstimating, i am impresses that it is only 20 or so calories off.