STEVIA ...

Options
I know SPLENDA was considered a good substitute for sugar until now, and the next best thing is STEVIA in the raw.... I use at least One Packet of Stevia at least once a day (In my greek yogurt, coffee, green smoothie) sometimes 2 in one day... is this something I should cut back on??

Replies

• farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :) I've been using it for a long time, and I can go through almost 70 packets a week. Additionally, stevia has been used for over 50 years in Japan with no reported detrimental effects. No doubt using organic stevia is better than sugar, so don't cut back if you're only going to replace it with sugar.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you're using less than 2 packets a day, I wouldn't worry much... but if you are using more I would definitely agree with farewell_frie! They also have liquid versions.. not sure if you are near a trader joes, but TJ's has an awesome organic liquid version that is amazing in coffee and is typically only $6-8. Usually lasts me a good month and a half.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :) I've been using it for a long time, and I can go through almost 70 packets a week. Additionally, stevia has been used for over 50 years in Japan with no reported detrimental effects. No doubt using organic stevia is better than sugar, so don't cut back if you're only going to replace it with sugar.
    Japan is also the world leader in manufacturing aspartame. Which is just as relevant to the topic as how long they've consumed stevia (meaning, completely irrelevant.)

Sweeteners are sweeteners, as of now, there's no scientific evidence of any artificial sweeteners having any detrimental health effects.

Unless you're consuming your body weight in any particular sweetener in a day, it's not something to be concerned about.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I stopped using all artificial sweeteners several months ago when I started reading more that it can take up to 60 days for your body to process them out of your system (after stopping use). I've gone completely to raw, organic sugars. I'm not a huge sugar person, but I figure I would rather have the additional calories coming from a real food, than zero calories coming from a fake food.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I stopped using all artificial sweeteners several months ago when I started reading more that it can take up to 60 days for your body to process them out of your system (after stopping use). I've gone completely to raw, organic sugars. I'm not a huge sugar person, but I figure I would rather have the additional calories coming from a real food, than zero calories coming from a fake food.
    60 days? That's absolutely false. It doesn't take any longer to digest than any other food. A few hours.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also like stevia and use it about once a day. I'd just ask my doctor if you're pregnant or breastfeeding but from what I know, it's fine.
    You can also grow stevia and use the leaves.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't consider stevia to be an artificial sweetener. It's a plant that has been used by indigenous people for hundreds of years. Use the pure liquid versions if you are concerned about it. (I guess some of the powdered blends that mix stevia with a bunch of weird chemicals could be considered artificial.)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :)
    Why would organic be a better option? What makes the others 'fake' and why is that not good?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :)
    Why would organic be a better option? What makes the others 'fake' and why is that not good?
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Japan is also the world leader in manufacturing aspartame. Which is just as relevant to the topic as how long they've consumed stevia (meaning, completely irrelevant.)

Sweeteners are sweeteners, as of now, there's no scientific evidence of any artificial sweeteners having any detrimental health effects.

Unless you're consuming your body weight in any particular sweetener in a day, it's not something to be concerned about.

Science.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I don't consider stevia to be an artificial sweetener. It's a plant that has been used by indigenous people for hundreds of years. Use the pure liquid versions if you are concerned about it. (I guess some of the powdered blends that mix stevia with a bunch of weird chemicals could be considered artificial.)
    Stevia is classified as an artificial sweetener, due to the harsh chemical treatments generally required to get the actual compound out of the leaf, and just because indigenous people have used something, that doesn't mean it's superior. Plenty of indigenous people have also practiced cannibalism for hundreds of years, but I'm not gonna go start putting human steaks on my grill any time soon.

Again, stevia is perfectly fine, as is aspartame, sucralose, or erythritol. I just hate people attempting to justify viewpoints with logical fallacies.
  • harrypotter22
    harrypotter22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    try liquid stevia
    it's cheaper and better and ugh i use that stuff everyday
    trust me, you will never go back to splenda
  • PositiveBody
    PositiveBody Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree. Stevia is from a leaf and is not an exitotoxicin like the artificial stuff (blue, pink, yellow stuff) that causes cell damage. Do your research. Stevia is fine if it has not been terribly processed.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Stevia is a leaf (well, actually it's a component in a leaf surrounded by bitter components, that requires soaking in methanol and various other chemicals to extract,) aspartame is just 2 amino acids (that you need anyway,) and sucralose is just sugar.

What's your point?

Also, none of those are "excitotoxins," as none of them are neurotransmitters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why not just use sugar….??????????????
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Stevia is classified as an artificial sweetener, due to the harsh chemical treatments generally required to get the actual compound out of the leaf, and just because indigenous people have used something, that doesn't mean it's superior. Plenty of indigenous people have also practiced cannibalism for hundreds of years, but I'm not gonna go start putting human steaks on my grill any time soon.

Again, stevia is perfectly fine, as is aspartame, sucralose, or erythritol. I just hate people attempting to justify viewpoints with logical fallacies.

mmmmmm steak.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!