Can you have too much sugar from fruit?

Options
124»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Not if you are eating it raw and whole. Yes, if you are cooking it, juicing it, or blending it.

logic?
    Yep, logic.

No that was me requesting you explain your logic of how blending a fruit can magically make you capable of consuming too much sugar from it. Despite the fact the only thing that's changed is the physical structure of the fruit in question.
    You know when sugar is evil has gone too far when vegetarians start to question fruit consumption........A day that Barnum and Baily would be proud for sure.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Not if you are eating it raw and whole. Yes, if you are cooking it, juicing it, or blending it.

logic?
    Yep, logic.

No that was me requesting you explain your logic of how blending a fruit can magically make you capable of consuming too much sugar from it. Despite the fact the only thing that's changed is the physical structure of the fruit in question.
    The question was "Can you have too much sugar from fruit?" and the answer is yes, if you blend it. When you blend fruit, you change the structure of the fiber, allowing you to eat more before you get satiated. I'm not saying i never blend, or that blending is "evil". MrM27 said that, not me.
  • neanderthin
    Options

logic?
    Yep, logic.

The question was "Can you have too much sugar from fruit?" and the answer is yes, if you blend it. When you blend fruit, you change the structure of the fiber, allowing you to eat more before you get satiated. I'm not saying i never blend, or that blending is "evil". MrM27 said that, not me.
    Blending fruit doesn't increase the calories but for some reason you believe people stop eating only when their satiated and not before, or are incapable of stopping to add fruit to the blender......maybe it hypnotises them, what do you think, eh?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Blending changes the fiber? That's a new one...
  • harrypotter22
    harrypotter22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dude, hell no
    fruit all day every day
    i think you can have too much sugar though but if you aren't eating like 10 bananas in one sitting i'm pretty sure you're okay.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I used to eat heaps of fruit- began to have IBS got pretty ill now have been diagnosed with Fructose Mal- Absorption.
    Dr said there such a thing *kitten* too much of a good thing.
    The point is we are all different!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Blending fruit doesn't increase the calories
    Who said it did?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Who said it did?
    You did, when you said it causes people to eat more fruit because they weren't satiated. Who know maybe your just referring to yourself.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Who said it did?
    You did, when you said it causes people to eat more fruit because they weren't satiated. Who know maybe your just referring to yourself.
    I didn't say that. Re-read what i said. Anyway, back to the ignore list with you. Not sure why i even took you off...
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Who said it did?
    I didn't say that. Re-read what i said. Anyway, back to the ignore list with you. Not sure why i even took you off...
    This is what you said
    The question was "Can you have too much sugar from fruit?" and the answer is yes, if you blend it ........how does the sugar increase from blending, and if sugar increases so do the calories.......

Then you said
    When you blend fruit, you change the structure of the fiber, allowing you to eat more before you get satiated. ........It's not that your quote was a few pages back or in another thread....it was just above this one....damn
    LOL at ignore list........it's not surprising you have one considering the amount of people that disagree with most of your poistings. <not to mention a good way to lalala through without being disappointed or have to read the studies that those people (the ones on ignore) post in reference to your diatribe.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mittensofgalor gave a simple outline of the biochemistry and the simple answer to can you have too much sugar from fruit is actually 2 questions.
    1. Can you have too much sugar? The answer is absolutely yes. Even the WHO is now saying 5 teaspoons per day. (20g).
    2. Second question is can you eat sufficient fruit to blow that "maximum recommended". And also absolutely yes.
    My limit is 2 serves per day.
    If you goal is weight AND health, stay with fresh leafy green vegetables and protein.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Isn't it interesting to see the difference in posts from 2011 to posts from now. I guess sugar became evil some time in June 2012.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I just signed up yesterday and I noticed that I'm way over my recommended sugar intake for the day, because of the fruit I have eaten.

I'm vegetarian / sometimes vegan and I eat a lot of the stuff on my good days...its either that or I'd be face first into a chocolate cake!

What should I do? Should I ignore this or is it important to limit fruit? The idea of cutting back on fruit to me seems bonkers! Weight Watchers has a zero point allowance for fruit I thought? So will it hinder my weight loss?

Opinions and input much appreciated! :tongue: :laugh:

To kill to - over a prolonged period of time - yes probably (but you would have to be munching a vast amount)

To make you fat - yes absolutely.

Enjoy your fruit and if you are looking to lose weight just eat it in moderation.

Drinking blended fruit drinks will be higher in sugar - not because the sugar volume increases, just the fact that you will be using more pieces of fruit to get a reasonable size drink.

Good luck.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you have a sweet tooth, it would be wise to eat a varied diet, as vitamin deficiency is usually related to certain food cravings. Vegetarians in general, would benefit from b vitamin supplements, for instance.
  • donnatorres37
    donnatorres37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am pre diabetic and I need to know how much natural sugar I can consume in a day to get my blood sugar down. I am trying to control it with diet, watching my carbs and calories and exercising 20-50 minutes a day. But I am stymied about the natural sugar.
    How many grams are safe for a pre diabetic?