Going over on protein?

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to this, so I'm sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times....I usually plan my day of food the night before and have noticed that I seem to go over on protein a lot of the time. Is this going to be a problem? I have entered a 'sedentary' lifestyle as although I have two children and a home to look after I also work full time at a desk-job so am sat down for most of the day.

This week is half term in the UK so I'm home and doing more walking etc than normal, which is why I have exercise calories in my day (I think I've shared my diary!)...I know my food intake isn't perfect, so please be kind, but can you see where I am going wrong to go so far over on protein?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light,

K

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The default protein goal on MFP is very low, it's better to be over it.
  • katieC1983
    katieC1983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you both....perhaps I should re-set my protein goal a bit higher then...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Barring some additional health condition, going over shouldn't be much of a problem for you as long as you're not exceeding your overall calorie goals.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what the above posters said. .8+ g/ lb of LBM is a reasonable intake if you're active, which is probably more than you're getting (even with going over MFP's 20% recommendation).
  • katieC1983
    katieC1983 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Excellent - it's good to know I'm just worrying for nothing, I can just carry on and keep fingers crossed for results :)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Eating more protein is good because it helps you feel fuller for longer, and you will help to preserve lean body mass while losing weight.
  • FitnessDynasty
    Options
    I've talked to my brother (Personal Trainer with Bachelors of Science in Exercise Physiology) about this and he has told me that your body expels the protein you don't use in a day. Just make sure you are always drinking plenty of water (I drink like 120oz/day) and it will help expel the extra that you don't need. Exercise, protein, and water does the body good (among other things).