Is the cross trainer good for losing weight?

Options
Will the cross trainer help me lose weight???

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit (more calories out than calories in) is how you lose weight.
    A cross trainer will help you burn calories.

So, can easily help - it means you can eat more for the same deficit, which for many (including myself), is preferable to eating less and not exercising.

It will likely improve your overall health which gives other benefits too.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    any l exersise will help but you will have to spend a long time on it to get any real gain.use it as a starting point to a more advanced training regime.add a good walk outdoors then when you feel stronger move on to more strenuous exersises.good luck.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options

So, can easily help - it means you can eat more for the same deficit, which for many (including myself), is preferable to eating less and not exercising.

Exactly. Any form of exercise will burn calories, but cross trainers are pretty good - especially if you have any injuries or are new to exercise as they are easy to use and easy on joints. I started my journey with a lot of cross trainer use (as it was convenient and easy, and good for someone with no confidence and low fitness), but now that I'm getting fitter and can do more I am mixing it up and pushing myself harder (with strength, cardio and bootcamps etc).

Just remember, weight loss is about a deficit - you can do all the exercise in the world, but if you eat more than you burn you will not lose weight!

Good luck! :smile:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yeap -

but I prefer to be outdoors ... I get bored quickly in a gym but can run for over an hour outside no worries (an hour on a piece of gym kit would be tortuously boring to me)
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    any l exersise will help but you will have to spend a long time on it to get any real gain.use it as a starting point to a more advanced training regime.add a good walk outdoors then when you feel stronger move on to more strenuous exersises.good luck.

Depends how much effort you put in, if you just go half assed it wont have any benefit but thenagain nothing will if you don't give it some effort, if you push yourself and do intervals or use the programmes if it's a computerised one it certainly is better then the treadmill or walking, crosstrainer works the whole body and gets the heart pumping

The bike is another good one for pure cardio and working the arms and legs.

and thats sound advice

not exercising and just dieting is a recipe for disaster. Diet to lose weight, Exercise to look good and become fitter.
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started my exercise on a crosstrainer. and walking. I felt to self concious to go t the gym etc. Now I am at the gym and love it. But I still walk as the fresh air gets rid of the brain cobwebs.

Good luck on what ever you decide.