How to break plateau/weight creeping up

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are fit now, and you likely are with doing cardio that whole time, the Polar is underestimating your calorie burn for sure if your BMI is still above healthy range. It assumes bad BMI bad fitness level, which isn't true anymore.
    That assumption means low HR means low calorie burn, which isn't true either. The more fit you are (higher VO2max), the more work you can do at a lower HR.

I'd log the weight lifting, it's not that difficult to estimate, the MFP entry for strength training may seem low, but it's actually based on good studies. That's weight lifting with reps and sets and rests of 2-4 min waiting to recharge to hit it hard again.
    If you do the circuit training suggested, that is listed under that and much higher calorie burn, which is true.

So you really are eating with a much bigger deficit than you realize.

Playing thread jacker for a moment because i'm really glad to have read this. I have the same hrm as the OP and i have been battling with myself for 3 months not knowing whether the calories burned are accurate or if it is overestimating. For example, this morning, i stepped on my elliptical for 35mins for a low intensity workout, keeping my heart rate between 130-144 and my hrm reported 365kcal burned.

I normally use shapesense.com to calculate my gross calories burned then convert it to net calories burned by using my reported average heart rate which was 137, it said my gross was 299 and my net kcal burned was 253. I also took the 365kcal to estimate my net kcal burned and got 319. Now, using my stats, which one is more likely to be accurate? Sorry if all the numbers have confused you.

I realise there isn't that much difference between both net kcal but when i exercise at a moderate/high intensity level, the difference in kcal is usually higher. It would be great to know this because i want to fuel my body the right way and not let my metabolism suffer.

Female
    187cm
    27yrs
    90.1kg (last confirmed 04.04)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe start looking at WHAT you're eating vs. HOW MANY. For example, take a good look at how much processed sugar and non-whole food items are in your diet right now. Try shaking things up (after your 5K - don't want your tummy in a tizzy for that!!) food wise and see if that reignites your loss and breaks your plateau.
    As far as weight loss goes, the type of food you eat does not matter. All that is needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Given the amount of exercise that you are doing, i'd say the problem is likely on the intake side of the equation.

How much fat are you eating? Too much will slow you down, ESPECIALLY VEGETABLE OILS!!!!

How much of your diet consists of fruits? Vegetables? The nutrients in those foods help to keep your hunger under control. Also, the calorie density of those foods are very low, but the fiber content and water content are high. They keep you satiated, and keep your calories low.
  • scispence
    scispence Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you've got your carb/protein/fat percentages set at, but given that you exercise a lot, you might want to up the % of protein. You need enough to make sure your lean muscle has enough to rebuild after exercise (she says like she knows what she's talking about).
  • heybales
    Options
    I don't know what you've got your carb/protein/fat percentages set at, but given that you exercise a lot, you might want to up the % of protein. You need enough to make sure your lean muscle has enough to rebuild after exercise (she says like she knows what she's talking about).

Only description of lean meat is when you are at the butcher.

Would protein be used differently by marbled or fat muscle? There is no such description.

Perhaps your are thinking of Lean Body Mass, which is everything that is not Fat Mass, and would of course include muscle. Which may have fat in it may not, but you aren't going to control that much - except endurance cardio encouraging fat store near the muscles used.
  • agalassie
    agalassie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (fruit at breakfast, apple and carrots at lunch, banana for a snack, salad and other veggies at dinner). As of now, my goals are set at 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat, but I typically go over on carbs (from fruit/oatmeal) and over slightly on protein. I have considered increasing my protein intake, but I have found it a little difficult. I'm not vegetarian (as can be seen in my diary), but sometimes I do tend to lean towards vegetarian meals to save some money (I am a grad student). I will try to increase it more.
  • heybales
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (fruit at breakfast, apple and carrots at lunch, banana for a snack, salad and other veggies at dinner). As of now, my goals are set at 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat, but I typically go over on carbs (from fruit/oatmeal) and over slightly on protein. I have considered increasing my protein intake, but I have found it a little difficult. I'm not vegetarian (as can be seen in my diary), but sometimes I do tend to lean towards vegetarian meals to save some money (I am a grad student). I will try to increase it more.

0.82 grams protein per lb of body weight.
    0.35 grams fat per lb of body weight.

That's all you need, more won't hurt, but no extra benefit either if protein is hard to get in.

Carbs fall where they may.