Feeling stupid for neglecting cardio...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hi every one im looking for some help & support . Ive been using this app along side with doing a macronutrient diet im 6 wks in & not doing very well

start your own thread...
  • Csmcnevin
    Csmcnevin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, i'm a personal trainer and a med student and I'm well aware of the science. That said, we all are still learning from each other and am not arrogant enough to think I cant learn from other peoples experience.

People have different success on different programs. Obviously there is evidence based recommendations however we are not genetic clones of each other - some people respond differently to different programs. My question is directed to people who are already at a good level of fitness, have a good level of muscle and are trying to drop that last 10 pounds. This is not another 'is cardio better than weights' questions - i don't have the patience for that as obviously they both have their place. This is a very specific question - when you feel you have a complete strength program and getting to that point where you really wanna give it a big push before summer is upping cardio a good idea? Or should I stick with my tried and tested HITT / strenght circuits.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
    For me I enjoy cardio workouts-( I just started to run. Loved spinning The elliptical is my nemesis.)..
    Cardio helps me lose weight faster. I think if you want to mix it up with some cardio then go for it. No one knows your body like you do!!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you need to focus on your diet for those last 10 pounds. With such a small amount to lose, you need to be very diligent about what you're eating. If you're already in good cardiovascular shape, I wouldn't be adding more cardio just to lose the 10 pounds, unless you love steady state cardio. If you're asking for personal experience, I have lost 11 pounds since January focusing on diet and weight training, with one steady state cardio session a week (because I hate it).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What are people thoughts on this? Are ye cardio / strenght people?

I think it depends on your fitness goals. A good general fitness regimen is going to be pretty balanced...someone who is training for endurance events is obviously going to lean towards more cardio/endurance work...a bodybuilder or competitive power lifter is obviously going to spend the vast majority of their time in the weight room.

I tend to be pretty balanced unless I'm actually training for something...few days per week in the weight room and a few days per week out on my bike cranking out some miles.

In RE to those last 10 Lbs, that's going to be more about your diet than anything. It is also quite possible that you don't actually need/have 10 more pounds to lose....a lot of people obsess about some arbitrary number on the scale without really contemplating whether that number is realistic given their frame and muscle mass.

If you are already at a healthy weight and BF% and just trying to cut it lower, it is a very slow process and in my experience, the quality of your diet really starts to matter far more than it does when you have more fat stores. Also, for myself, being oldish kinda sucks for getting really lean.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Let's clear this up: ANY physical activity burns calories. Cardio is for cardiovacular health and resistance training is for muscle strength and "shaping".

Calorie deficit is for fat loss.

If one isn't losing fat on a calorie deficit, then some possible issues are: hormonal shift in the body, lack of rest, loss of lean muscle, age.

90% of the time, it's really lack of attention to one's diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you need to focus on your diet for those last 10 pounds. With such a small amount to lose, you need to be very diligent about what you're eating. If you're already in good cardiovascular shape, I wouldn't be adding more cardio just to lose the 10 pounds, unless you love steady state cardio. If you're asking for personal experience, I have lost 11 pounds since January focusing on diet and weight training, with one steady state cardio session a week (because I hate it).

Yup.

I thought I was being "good" with may diet but it was creeping up, and I think I became less active in my normal life and consequently plateaued for a couple of months. When I sat down and REALLY focused on staying under my goal every single day (and not just a weekly average) the pounds started to come off again.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    10262178_10152430227062975_8844904468167420051_n.jpg

^^ This guy, Nick Cheadle... "morning of his show. Less than an hour of cardio per WEEK during prep. Never consumed less than 260g carbs per day. Never did any steady state or fasted cardio. Didn't cut sodium, water, or take a diuretic. In fact he's already had over 64 oz water here. He followed flexible dieting principles and enjoyed the foods he loves in moderation."

From Layne Norton's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LayneNorton

Cardio is not necessary for fat-burning.
  • Csmcnevin
    Options
    What are people thoughts on this? Are ye cardio / strenght people?

I think it depends on your fitness goals. A good general fitness regimen is going to be pretty balanced...someone who is training for endurance events is obviously going to lean towards more cardio/endurance work...a bodybuilder or competitive power lifter is obviously going to spend the vast majority of their time in the weight room.

I tend to be pretty balanced unless I'm actually training for something...few days per week in the weight room and a few days per week out on my bike cranking out some miles.

In RE to those last 10 Lbs, that's going to be more about your diet than anything. It is also quite possible that you don't actually need/have 10 more pounds to lose....a lot of people obsess about some arbitrary number on the scale without really contemplating whether that number is realistic given their frame and muscle mass.

If you are already at a healthy weight and BF% and just trying to cut it lower, it is a very slow process and in my experience, the quality of your diet really starts to matter far more than it does when you have more fat stores. Also, for myself, being oldish kinda sucks for getting really lean.

Thanks for this - my goal is to drop body %. Last time I was measured it was 26% - i was hoping to get down to 22% or something by summer. I feel ok in clothes, have an OK shape but just need to lean out. I agree with diet. Currently have my macros set to 55% protein, 25% carbs, 20% fat. As I said above i'm a classic endomorph so the pounds tend to cling to me - but the good part is my shape responds to strenght training well.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    10262178_10152430227062975_8844904468167420051_n.jpg

^^ This guy, Nick Cheadle... "morning of his show. Less than an hour of cardio per WEEK during prep. Never consumed less than 260g carbs per day. Never did any steady state or fasted cardio. Didn't cut sodium, water, or take a diuretic. In fact he's already had over 64 oz water here. He followed flexible dieting principles and enjoyed the foods he loves in moderation."

From Layne Norton's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LayneNorton

Cardio is not necessary for fat-burning.

Yah, but he's a 22 year old testosterone fueled machine. Females don't quite work the same way...and men 40+.

Those last stubborn 10lbs can be lost quicker using both weights and cardio.
  • Csmcnevin
    Options

Yah, but he's a 22 year old testosterone fueled machine. Females don't quite work the same way...and men 40+.

Those last stubborn 10lbs can be lost quicker using both weights and cardio.

I'm glad you said it :) I've been overweight my whole childhood / teenage life. I'm just not built like that... inspiring all the same
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for burning fat, strength is for tightening and building muscle. Since I'm trying to lose fat and keep what muscle I have, I do both, but if your BF is where you want it, maybe don't focus so much on the scale. I'm working on the last ten pounds myself until I reach my first goal, but these last pounds are proving to be much more stubborn!
    ................... Uhh.........
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    1240366_10151905630297975_149232394_n.jpg

Okay, then this one ^^.

3 x 30 minutes HIIT weekly. But again, cutting fat is about diet.

"Simone Sinclair demonstrating what science, patience, and hard work can do. Competing and health are NOT mutually exclusive. She didn't starve and do endless cardio (only 3 short hiit sessions per week). She's squats and deadlifts heavy. No water depletion, no cutting sodium, no diuretics." - Layne Norton
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1240366_10151905630297975_149232394_n.jpg

Okay, then this one ^^.

3 x 30 minutes HIIT weekly. But again, cutting fat is about diet.

"Simone Sinclair demonstrating what science, patience, and hard work can do. Competing and health are NOT mutually exclusive. She didn't starve and do endless cardio (only 3 short hiit sessions per week). She's squats and deadlifts heavy. No water depletion, no cutting sodium, no diuretics." - Layne Norton

Exactly. With cardio. 30 minutes HIIT is awesome--and in some cases necessary to burn the fat. No one said endless cardio is the answer--clearly 3x30 mins can get you where you are going.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Neglecting cardio isn't a bad thing. Some people prefer cardio to strength training and vice versa. You don't need exercise to lose weight, but in my opinion it has too many benefits to your overall health to pass up.

I personally love cardio because it allows me to be able to do endurance related things without feeling like a winded person. Like taking groceries upstairs to my apartment. It used to knock the crap out of me because of the heavy bags and repeated trips, but now I can run up and down the stairs like it's nothing.

Cardio is good for your heart and equally as good on endurance. It builds up respiration wonderfully and thanks to my elliptical I can now run short distances which I've never been able to do before. It's all personal choice in the end.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is important for your general fitness. I don't see the point in looking fit (I.e lower bf) if I'm truly not fit, and by this I mean, be able to run, walk, hike, lift heavy stuff, have good balance etc. all of those things are important, and therefore cardio is a necessity for me for general fitness. It may not be for you, it truly depends on your goal.

Also cardio means you can eat a little more/ create a larger deficit.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm a "do both" kind of person.

Both are important for different reasons. My cardio makes my lifts better. My lifts make my cardio easier. It all makes me healthier. It all makes me faster, more agile, more flexible, and greatly affected my labs at the doctor for the better along with consistent healthy eating.

Why must people think they should choose between the 2 when a balanced program covers both?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for health. It doesn't "burn fat". Burns off a few calories, sure, but you could make that up in eating less. What cardio does is strengthen your heart, your lungs, your whole body. I don't plan to be a skinny corpse any sooner than I have to...so I do my cardio and have come to enjoy it.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Do you need cardio to lose weight? No. With little to lose focusing on diet becomes more important. Exercise is up to you and your goals.

I do more cardio than strength training because I love cycling (road and mnt biking) and when I am training hard there is a lot of focus on cardio. I also lift at least 2x a week (my least favorite days), and fit in some yoga here and there.