Gaining weight?!?! :(

Options
13»

Replies

• loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Over 400kcals for 30mins of Zumba?! Is that a heart rate monitor or gross over estimate?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I didn't go over your diary with a fine-toothed comb, but it looks to me like you're eating back too many exercise calories. I personally don't like to eat back any of the small burns (under 600 or so) simply because the exercise database is so optimistic. Listen to your body -- if you feel rundown, etc. then you should eat more back, otherwise I'd recommend against it.

Other issue is that you're coming from a completely sedentary lifestyle to regular exercise -- that is going to cause a lot of water weight gain until your muscles stop being sore all the time.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    A gym is great, but isn't really necessary especially at the start. There are lots of bodyweight exercises you can do (pushups, etc.), and common household items can be used as weights - cans of food, a gallon of water, books, you get the idea. I haven't used it myself, but I hear great things about fitnessblender, which has free workouts you can do while home.

Anyway, exercise is great and all but weight loss comes down to diet. Until you have the scale, you can use the measurements on the meat you buy to get an idea of what you're eating there - meat is priced per pound, and the label will almost always have price per pound, number of pounds, and total price. Use the number of pounds to figure out what you are eating. For example, if you buy .85 lbs of chicken breasts, that is 13.6 ounces of meat. If you are sharing with someone, you can estimate how much of that 13.6 you ate. Not as accurate as weighing your own portion, but gets you much closer than the "palm of your hand" type measurements.
  • brattygurl89
    brattygurl89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I gained a few pounds, and found out it's natural. Your body is working to adjust to these changes, which it can take 4-6 weeks before it decides to start showing a drop in the scale. (it can, not always the case!) Perhaps you are losing inches, not logging everything, mistaken on your portions. There's many possibilities.

What really helped me is to watch my sodium closely. If I go over, even just a little, I'll pack on about 3 pounds thanks to water weight. Granted, you're going to go over once in a while, and that's ok! I didn't do a thorough search of your diary, but I noticed you only drink a few crystal lights during the day. If you aren't seeing results, try bumping up your liquid intake. I drink 9-11 (72oz-88oz) glasses of water a day and am seeing results, even getting rid of pesky water retention in just a day or two. Also, try to incorporate a veggie or fruit in every meal if you can.

Right now, I don't do any exercise other than basic house work since I'm getting ready to move, and I'm a stay at home mom myself. In just 3 weeks I've dropped 5 pounds. (My ticker doesn't reflect that since I never fixed my starting weight) What works for me might not work for you, but those are just a few pointers that I've had success with. Perhaps give it a try and see what happens.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Over 400kcals for 30mins of Zumba?! Is that a heart rate monitor or gross over estimate?
    Yes, maybe 400 cal for a whole hour.