Gardeners: What produce are you growing this season?

Options

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Probably a small plot of beans, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, maybe corn (I HATE working corn, hubby's fav to eat).

My aunt has been wanting to give me blackberry vine to start for a few years. I need to do that!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Probably the same as ever year: beans, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkins in the fall, i think we're looking into asparagus too. We used to have a bigger garden but the ground went bad so we had to cut back while the nutrients rebuild. Plus the amish have such good deals at their farm stands we just get from them half the time. Last year was insane for green beans, they were growing faster than we could harvest them.
    I think we're doing heirloom tomatoes again though.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My brother is giving us some of his extra tomato starts.
    We're also going to try zucchini, cantaloupe, and maybe broccoli.

This is our first spring in this house, and we're having to dig out a space for garden, but the soil looks much better that the last house we had - less clay and rocks, etc. We've been in an apartment for the last 5 years, so I'm excited to get to try a garden again.

Good luck! I'm trying cantaloupe again this year buy placing them under a poly tunnel and walls of water to see if I can actually beat the first fall frost. I've never been able to ripen them on the vine.

I haven't succeeded at cantaloupe yet, but when I was little my grandma grew them. Like tomatoes, once you've eaten vine-ripened cantaloupe it spoils you for life from the store bought ones :laugh: How early does it frost for you?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    5 varieties of gourmet hardneck garlic, sunchokes, red sweet bullhorn peppers, mini yellow and red sweet peppers, yellow and purple bush beans, 4 varieties of broccoli, purple, orange and white varieties of cauliflower, garlic chives, lemon cucumbers, green cucumbers, 3 vareities of eggplant, lettuce, mesclun, cilantro, parsnips, sugar snap peas, Amish pie squash, globe artichokes, Jerusalem artichokes,6 vareities of heirloom tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, leeks, strawberries, blackberries, dragon carrots, various herbs such as mountain and white sage, marjoram, chamomile, flowers for pollinators, bunching onions, summer squash, zucchini, 2 varieties of radishes, golden and Detroit Red beets, and sweet corn and winter squash over at the other farm.
    ....but the main crop is hay.

Do you raise bees too? I ask because you said you had flowers for pollinators too. Or are they for the wild ones?

Also, do you live in an area where artichokes are easy to grow with mild winters or do you do something special? I tried a variety that was supposed to mature quickly but I didn't overwinter the plant well enough (end of season laziness).

We have raised Jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) for years, they are absolutely trouble free; plant and forget. They don't need weeding becasue they get 8 feet tall and no weeds survive in the shade under them. For globe artichokes, this will be our first year. We may have a local beekeeper put his hives in our garden, next to the hayfield ( flowering alfalfa), but we do have a good number of bumblebees ( not at all aggressive and good pollinators) with a nest up in the rafters of our garage. We use no herbicide or pesticides at all.
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I just have a small garden, but it gets me outside. I have my seedlings started inside already.

Tomatoes - Many varieties
    Radishes
    Green Onions
    Onions
    Mini Cantaloupes
    Cucumbers
    Bell Peppers
    Carrots

ETA: spelling
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    For everyone that plants a variety of tomatoes, do you bunch all of a single variety together or do you intermix them? I don't seed save and I love looking at a wall of variety (I do the same with my peppers except the jalapenos).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I need to get my spring crops out so I can put my summer crops in! #californiagardenissues :tongue:

Currently growing potatoes, onions, broccoli, garlic, strawberries, carrots and celery. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant started from seed in the house in January are ready to go in, and I will start squash varieties from seed right in the beds.

Just turned my front porch flowerbed into an herb garden this week - sage, garlic chives, dill, thyme, Greek oregano, Thai basil, globe basil, curry (new one for me!), lavender and catnip. More basil going in, plus whatever interesting herbs I come across in nurseries from here on out. :bigsmile:
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    I need to get my spring crops out so I can put my summer crops in! #californiagardenissues :tongue:

Currently growing potatoes, onions, broccoli, garlic, strawberries, carrots and celery. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant started from seed in the house in January are ready to go in, and I will start squash varieties from seed right in the beds.

Just turned my front porch flowerbed into an herb garden this week - sage, garlic chives, dill, thyme, Greek oregano, Thai basil, globe basil, curry (new one for me!), lavender and catnip. More basil going in, plus whatever interesting herbs I come across in nurseries from here on out. :bigsmile:

I am very envious of your California gardening issues. My mother likes to wax poetic about how much more fun it was to garden when she lived there. The increased growing season alone is jealously inducing! Our last estimated frost is 15 May where I am, so putting out tomatoes and peppers like I did a couple weeks ago is only possible with very special care and observation. I want ripe tomatoes in July and this is the only way I can do it.

Have fun with your awesome gardening environment!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Next weekend I'll sow radishes,spinach,broccoli and sugar snap peas.

End of May I'll sow cucumbers,carrots,summer squash,butternut squash,greenbeans, pumpkins,corn and sunflowers.

I'll buy tomato and pepper plants and plant at the end of May.

In may plant some kale next weekend to hide in my shakes.

Really excited to get things going but it's still cold here :sad:
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I keep my tomato varieties separate. Have yellow pear, white beefsteak, red beefsteak, red cherry, brandywine, tasty treat and patio tomatoes. As you can tell I love tomatoes.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    kohl rabi, beans, carrots, zuchinni, beats, peas and cherry tomatoes
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I didn't figure strokingdiction for a gardener!

I just moved, so my garden wont be meeting it's full potential this year. I'll probably only use 1/4 of the gardening space that i eventually plan to use.

I'll definitely be planting the basic this year:
    Various cucumbers
    Various tomatoes
    Various kales
    Rainbow chard
    Various hot peppers
    Various sweet peppers
    Various herbs
    Melons, various.
    Squash, maybe pumpkins
    Beans
    Sugar snap peas,
    celery,
    collards,
    lettuce,
    beets,
    carrots,
    broccoli,
    cauliflower.
    Strawberries,

I also have a peach tree, and i'll be adding one more. I have a lemon tree that is in a container, and is already blooming in it's current window home.

In the future, probably not this year:
    Grapes
    Hops (i grew hops at my last house. Homegrown hops in my homebrew!)
    Blueberries,
    raspberries, (i left my old bushes at my old house. I had a yellow raspberry that was SO good!)
    apple tree,
    pumpkins, (if not this year)
    flowers, especially edible flowers like nasturtium and hibiscus

Probably a lot more that i'm forgetting right off hand.

EDIT: Yep, forgot about potatoes. Going to try asparagus, too.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, variety of peppers, and zucchini. I'm not going overboard this year like I always do. lol. Well, knowing me, I will. I say the same thing every year.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    A couple planting guides:

squarefootgardenplantingguide.jpg

plantingguide.png
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    I didn't figure strokingdiction for a gardener!

I just moved, so my garden wont be meeting it's full potential this year. I'll probably only use 1/4 of the gardening space that i eventually plan to use.

I'll definitely be planting the basic this year:
    Various cucumbers
    Various tomatoes
    Various kales
    Rainbow chard
    Various hot peppers
    Various sweet peppers
    Various herbs
    Melons, various.
    Squash, maybe pumpkins
    Beans
    Sugar snap peas,
    celery,
    collards,
    lettuce,
    beets,
    carrots,
    broccoli,
    cauliflower.
    Strawberries,

I also have a peach tree, and i'll be adding one more. I have a lemon tree that is in a container, and is already blooming in it's current window home.

In the future, probably not this year:
    Grapes
    Hops (i grew hops at my last house. Homegrown hops in my homebrew!)
    Blueberries,
    raspberries, (i left my old bushes at my old house. I had a yellow raspberry that was SO good!)
    apple tree,
    pumpkins, (if not this year)
    flowers, especially edible flowers like nasturtium and hibiscus

Probably a lot more that i'm forgetting right off hand.

EDIT: Yep, forgot about potatoes. Going to try asparagus, too.

Don't worry, a lot of people find my penchant for gardening unusual (online and offline). I guess my personality (a bit of a jerk due to overuse of sarcasm and terrible jokes) isn't like your typical gardener's. :)

Good luck on getting an entirely new growspace up and going. I dread the thought of moving. The year I do will be right after I think I have the perfect garden design.

I've done square foot gardening in the past with the idea of companion planting. It's a great way of doing it but I don't have plans for it this year. Half of my raised beds are going to be planted with cover crops (alfalfa and rye grass). Maybe next year. This year is nothing but tomatoes and peppers in the raised beds, the only ones that have polytunnel setups.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options
    Next weekend I'll sow radishes,spinach,broccoli and sugar snap peas.

End of May I'll sow cucumbers,carrots,summer squash,butternut squash,greenbeans, pumpkins,corn and sunflowers.

I'll buy tomato and pepper plants and plant at the end of May.

In may plant some kale next weekend to hide in my shakes.

Really excited to get things going but it's still cold here :sad:

Still cold here too. In fact, it's snowing as I type this and the temps are hovering around 31 degrees F. I've checked on my tomatoes/pepper temps and they're holding steady at high 60s at the moment. As long as we doing have sustained temps lower than 15 degrees for more than four days, my early plantings should be fine. It's a risk to plant so early but I'm not a patient gardener. If I can manipulate my garden environment, I'll do it.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    It's a risk to plant so early but I'm not a patient gardener. If I can manipulate my garden environment, I'll do it.
    You are not alone. I have one tray of stuff that i started in a window 2 months early, like matoes, celery, collards, etc, and i also will start another one this week (one month before planting day)

I hope to afford a lean to greenhouse within a few years. I have a flat wall facing south that would be perfect. Once i get that, i can do spinach and kale year round, and start all my other plants early.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    In the ground. I need to have three spots to rotate each year if I want to have potatoes each season.
  • jennifer4567890
    jennifer4567890 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We still have about six feet of snowbank on the front and back yards of our property, and the last frost date here is May 21 :(

I did start seeds though about a month ago and have the following growing in our front bedroom/office: mini broccoli, cherry tomatoes, multiple colours of sweet peppers, and green onion. In five weeks or so, I will transplant and add carrots and lettuce, along with an herb garden just on the patio.
  • palomino698
    palomino698 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Last year I grew:

Potatoes
    Onions
    Carrots
    Parsnips
    Beetroot
    Leeks
    Purple sprouting broccoli
    Broad beans
    Climbing french beans
    Runner beans
    Sugar snap peas
    Sweetcorn
    Squash
    Courgettes
    Lettuce
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes
    Radish
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower

Mint (3 varieties)
    Rosemary
    Parsley
    Chives
    Lemon balm
    Thyme
    Sage
    Oregano
    Basil
    Tarragon

Raspberries
    Tayberries
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Plums
    Apples
    Gages
    Blackberries (wild invaders through the hedge!)

This year I'm adding

Brussels sprouts
    Spinach
    Kale
    Redcurrants
    Blackcurrants
    Gooseberries
    Rhubarb

I need a bigger freezer and a dehydrator!