breakfast ideas

Options
I need some breakfast ideas. I've been stuck doing the same thing since I started counting calories in Feb. I usually have an english muffin with laughing cow cream cheese, some type of meat like turkey bacon or turkey sausage, an egg, and berries or orange. But, I want to stay away from processed carbs like breads and cereals in the mornings now. I'd like to cut down on the sodium too. Any good ideas?

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I usually have Greek yogurt and coffee. If I have berries, then I mix them in. Yum! I don't usually eat a big breakfast, however it's filling and would change up your meal for you.

ETA: your diary for today already has the same exact yogurt that I eat lol.

Sooo carry on. I still believe it makes for a good breakfast. :drinker:
  • heysarge13
    heysarge13 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is a cup of oatmeal with cinnamon, 1 tbsp. of peanut butter, and scrambled egg whites or a protein shake.
  • trapper11
    Options
    If you like cheese omelettes, this is great low calorie breakfast. Buy the Egg whites in the carton, Use a quarter of the carton once it has cooked fully on one side add 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and a processed cheese slice over top of cottage cheese and fold omelette. The processed cheese melts into the cottage cheese to give it more consistency and you get a nice puffy/tasty omelette for under 200 calories. Great protein and minimal fat because you use Pam to cook it.
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Keep them coming!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes, oatmeal, frittata, omelet, Greek yogurt parfait (with granola and fruit), last night's leftovers.
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    If you like cheese omelettes, this is great low calorie breakfast. Buy the Egg whites in the carton, Use a quarter of the carton once it has cooked fully on one side add 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and a processed cheese slice over top of cottage cheese and fold omelette. The processed cheese melts into the cottage cheese to give it more consistency and you get a nice puffy/tasty omelette for under 200 calories. Great protein and minimal fat because you use Pam to cook it.

That sounds good.... bookmarking for future reference.
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Damn, that definitely sounds good. Totally trying this too. :)
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast, and allocate quite a few calories to it, as a good breakfast will fill me up for most of the day. I tend to have one of the following:

-2 soft-boiled eggs with 1 slice grainy toast
    -Half a Bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, avocado
    -Other half of bagel, toasted, with avocado, bacon, tomato
    -Oats with chia, skim milk, brown sugar/,maple syrup
    -Greek yoghurt with frozen raspberries/mango, chia, brazil nuts, honey
    -Grainy toast with hummus, avocado, sliced roast beef, peri-peri salt
    -Quest bar and giant coffee (when I'm in a rush haha)
    -Grain toast with bocconcini, tomato, basil, pepper

I also always have a coffee (giant on coffee, light on milk, no sugar) with/after breakfast, and everyone knows not to speak to me until that is finished! :laugh:
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    1) low fat frozen waffles, or the nutrigrain waffles with strawberry jam on top of light maple syrup or I like to do sliced canned peaches(in light syrup) on top of the waffle. 2) Banana smoothie, with cup of coffee or tea. 3)Yougurt with granola and rasberries, or strawberries on top.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My daily breakfast is 2 eggs cooked with the yolk a bit runny and 1/2 cup rolled oats with Polaner Sugar Free Blackberry jam. So good I actually look forward to eating it every morning!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time in the mornings, so I scramble a few eggs and pop some "ready-made" bacon in the microwave. Make a bacon/egg omelet. Also do some oatmeal w/ peanut butter and "healthy" brownie bites. pretty quick and easy.
  • ProfessorCurlz
    Options
    Here lately I have been warming up veggies left over from the previous dinner meal.
    Old fashioned oatmeal and 1 pc wheat toast, plain.
    5-6 wheat crackers with 1tbsp of crunchy peanut butter

Basically just depends on my mood :)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Usually have either rolled/steel cuts oats with blueberries (freezer is full of them, so they have to go sometime), or yogurt or nuts. Or poached egg with whole wheat bread, bit of butter and marmalade.

Although weekends are different - yesterday I had an egg over a pita loaded with chopped tomato, avocado, red onion, capers, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno and a dollop of strained yogurt, plus a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and OMG was it good.

I always measure out everything, and I make the oats in a rice cooker overnight.
  • jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are nice in the morning, I usually roast several at once and keep them in the refrigerator. I'll eat them with chicken sausage or sometimes a little turkey or chicken. Hummus with vegetable sticks is nice in the morning also.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    This morning I had quinoa 'porridge' - cooked quinoa, heated in some milk with some coconut oil and molasses, topped with fresh blueberries. Filling and tasty. Quinoa does take a while to cook so it can be cooked in bulk and frozen in portions.

At weekends I often have protein pancakes - 100g egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 scoop of whey, cinnamon to flavour, whisk and cook. I top with any of the following depending on mood/macro requirements - banana, peanut butter, Nutella, maple syrup, low fat whipped cream, berries, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, etc etc.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love ricotta mixed with a bit of honey and vanilla extract on toast or French toast, with fruit.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    oh jeez...go to Mcdonalds and get a bacon egg mcmuffin, a hashbrown, and 2 breakfast burritos..Lots of protein and fuel to kickstart the day YA
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts always includes coffee & almost always includes a banana. A few things I go between: A banana & PB2 [especially the chocolate kind], cereal with 2% milk [I like crunchy raisin bran best, but lately I've had chocolate cheerios], instant oatmeal with a little honey mixed in, a Nature Valley sweet & salty granola bar, 40-calorie toast with margarine, scrambled eggs [1 whole egg & 1 serving of egg whites] with turkey and cheese, & sometimes in a real pinch, a Jimmy Dean Delights breakfast bowl - lately I've been really into the Harvest Blend ones, which I think have been discontinued [I've been buying them at a grocery outlet].

Breakfast is my favorite because it's the easiest meal for me to shop for & to throw together on any given day.

ETA: Didn't realize you said you wanted to cut out carbs & such for breakfast [clearly I can't read]. That destroys pretty much all of my ideas. Why make your life difficult for no reason? EAT THE CARBS. Really, they're not going to kill you.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Fage with honey mixed with a chopped banana and some cinnamon!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelet with bacon and 2% cheese

I have egg whites and 2% slices of cheese in the fridge and pre-cooked pork bacon in the freezer. Every day on medium heat I cook the bacon (two or three pieces) for a minute or two to get it crispy, remove it from the pan and wipe out the grease. Then I pour in egg white and throw a lid on to cook through. When it's solid I break the cheese and bacon over one half of the egg, flip the other side over for an omelet and have this with some coffee. Easy, fast (egg whites and pre-cooked bacon both cook super fast) and low calorie.

I don't like yogurt, am not full after oatmeal (freak of nature), and try to limit bread so this is perfect for me to get in a solid meal without a lot of carbs in the process.

With coffee (sugar and 1% milk), egg white, cheese and three slices of bacon my calories come out to about 320 for the meal. 9 g carbs, 38 g protein, 13 g fat.