Please help me understand where I am going wrong...

Options
Hi!

I am a 24 year old girl, 5'9" and my highest weight was 242lbs.

First a brief boring history of my struggle with weight loss. In high school and up to about 18 years old I weighed 147lbs and was a UK size 10. I felt so fat at this time but looking at pictures now my figure was really lovely.
This went up to about 175lbs when I was about 19, and I started my first ever diet (slimming world club). Over the next three years my weight fluctuated until I was at my highest of 196lbs. I started running and doing spin classes and slowly lost 21lbs, but at the time my head was such a mess regarding good weight loss and how I should look that this felt like nothing and I regained all that weight. Finally, go back 18 months and a stressful period in my life and my weight skyrocketed from 196lbs to 242lbs in the space of 4 months, and this is where it has stuck.

So. 6 weeks ago I hired a personal trainer. He gave me a nutrition plan and an exercise plan. Nutrition was 150g protein, 120g carbs, 50g fat and 15g protein, to a total of around 1590 kcal a day. We worked out together twice a week then two a week on my own, so 4x a week in total. Lots of lifting (weighted squats, lunges, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press etc) plus kettlebell stuff and boxing circuits. I lost a couple of cm over 4 weeks of that but very little weight. So 2 weeks ago we changed it, the work outs I do alone are now much longer and harder and my nutrition is now 150g protein, 100g carbs, 40g fat for about 1360kcal a day.

Yet my weight is not changing. Cm are going down occasionally a very small amount. I am now stuck at 238lbs and it fluctuates between 240 and 236.5. What is happening? I track and measure everything really carefully. I wanted to have lost 6-12lbs by now and I have really lost nothing - I've only seen 236.5 once and the next day it was 239.8....

Starting to wonder if I should see a doctor.

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It might not be a bad idea to see a doctor and get things like your thyroid and hormonal balance checked out, so that you know what you're dealing with - and because it's generally a good idea to see a doctor before embarking on any major new exercise plans anyway. I imagine lots of people here will tell you to open your diary so they can offer more direct assistance and advice - some of it good, some not so good. I understand your frustration, but six weeks, on two different programs, isn't really all that long. You have seen some cms lost - that's a good sign, and the weight should, eventually, follow. Good luck!
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Wait another 2 or so weeks.

I find that exercise can actually mask weight loss, and you have to wait to see the weight decrease.

Often my weight goes down after having a few rest days.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Do you use a digital scale to weigh your food?
    Have you been tested for thyroid issues or PCOS?

Any change in an exercise routine can actually result in water retention. (muscle holding water for repair)
    Women tend to retain water around different points in our cycles. Some retain water around ovulation and others right around TOM.

I agree with castadiva. Losing CM is a good sign. If your getting smaller (even if it is slow), that tells me that most likely you have lost some fat, but either:
    A) it's not enough yet to reflect on the scale
    B) it's being masked by water retention (from sodium, where you are in your cycle, muscle repair etc.)
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wait another 2 or so weeks.

I find that exercise can actually mask weight loss, and you have to wait to see the weight decrease.

Often my weight goes down after having a few rest days.
    My weight also goes down after a rest day or two and I thought that was only me! good to see its not only me :)
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I think it couldn't hurt to see a doctor to rule anything out.

It does take a bit longer to see results from what I hear, though. So I think you should keep persevering with your fantastic efforts no matter what. Sounds like you are really putting in everything!

A guy on here showed a graph yesterday I think it was of his progress over the months. When you looked at it, it seemed to go up and down quite a lot and go nowhere, but he stuck with it and eventually it showed a slow progression downwards.

Aside from that, are you eating back the all of the calories burned from exercise? if so, then it could be that you're eating in a way that more or less maintains your current weight. I was doing this and was staying at the same weight for ages, despite exercising and eating mostly whole foods within my calorie limit. I am also 24 and 5'9" and yeah It's been only 3kg loss in a month for me.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    Checkout the following website.... http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html
    It's worked for me. But I guess if you're still not happy see a Dr.
  • dereklewisallen
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that with all that lifting, you are building muscle. Muscle weighs a bit more than fat, we all hear that, but what we often forget is that exercise, even cardio, is building muscle. So the more you exercise, the more you gain in muscle weight while burning fat. It's a bit confusing and disheartening, because you can't trust a scale. That's why measuring your self with a tape measure is actually much more accurate in terms of success.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that with all that lifting, you are building muscle. Muscle weighs a bit more than fat, we all hear that, but what we often forget is that exercise, even cardio, is building muscle. So the more you exercise, the more you gain in muscle weight while burning fat. It's a bit confusing and disheartening, because you can't trust a scale. That's why measuring your self with a tape measure is actually much more accurate in terms of success.
    Err you don't build muscle in a Calorie deficit.
  • dereklewisallen
    Options
    Yes you do. How else would muscles get stronger. What do you think all the fat getting burned goes to, air? Heat? It's being used as fuel.

One thing I'd point out as a reference for OP is that you can take, for example, a professional bodybuilder. They often can be 5 foot 8 inches yet weigh 265 pounds, with less than 10% body fat. Certainly heavy, but not in the way we think of as detrimental.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

There is no way she is building muscle at this rate

OP you said your weight dropped to 236 at one point, this to me would indicate water retention. Make sure you're drinking lots of water to minimise water retention. Also are you weighing at the same time of day each time? Weight fluctuates so much in 24 hrs it is best to weigh at the same time every day to give a better indication of comparative weights.

That's a low calorie intake for all the working out you're doing...are you eating back any of those calories? If not you aren't eating enough.
  • jaken2014
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about weight loss, you should worry about body composition. as long as it's changing at a semi-annual rate, you'll be fine. keep your diet in check (my biggest struggle) and keep up with the workouts. also, consider adding green tea to your diet. works wonders naturally as far as fat loss goes!
  • jaken2014
    Options
    The first two months you begin strenuous workouts are the best times in any fitness novice regarding muscle gain. It's very possible she's gaining a lot of muscle quickly, especially with all the compound lifts she's doing. If she's getting stronger, she's getting fitter.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If weight is not changing, then there is no calorie deficit. Much more likely than anything genetic.
  • dereklewisallen
    Options

How is she not building muscle? She says herself she is doing plenty of heavy lifting. She is also doing cardio. All these things build muscle, but ~especially~ with someone who has not been exercising at all. Why is this board so afraid of the idea that she is actually gaining a bit of strength i.e. muscle. I didn't say she was becoming a bodybuilder overnight, but it would certainly explain how someone who is eating a large amount of protein and lifting/doing cardio is not seeing the weight loss at the scale she would like. Perhaps, read this:

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/fatlossweighttraining/a/Ten-Mistakes-To-Avoid-When-Building-Muscle-And-Losing-Fat.htm

Or even this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Or maybe even this:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

Seeing how no one wants to believe it is possible from me, then go ahead and read for yourselves. Is it the only answer here? Perhaps not, but it would be foolish for people to sit back and say that it is definitely not possible when it so obviously IS possible. Keep in mind that the quickest muscle gains we make are when we have nearly none at all. That first year is the best in those terms. I certainly would hope that people on this board think with open minds and consider possibilities instead of jumping to discredit someone without actually reading up on the statement at hand. Our purpose is to help OP, not argue that you don't like my idea and therefore it must be false..
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

How is she not building muscle? She says herself she is doing plenty of heavy lifting. She is also doing cardio. All these things build muscle, but ~especially~ with someone who has not been exercising at all. Why is this board so afraid of the idea that she is actually gaining a bit of strength i.e. muscle. I didn't say she was becoming a bodybuilder overnight, but it would certainly explain how someone who is eating a large amount of protein and lifting/doing cardio is not seeing the weight loss at the scale she would like. Perhaps, read this:

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/fatlossweighttraining/a/Ten-Mistakes-To-Avoid-When-Building-Muscle-And-Losing-Fat.htm

Or even this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Or maybe even this:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

Seeing how no one wants to believe it is possible from me, then go ahead and read for yourselves. Is it the only answer here? Perhaps not, but it would be foolish for people to sit back and say that it is definitely not possible when it so obviously IS possible. Keep in mind that the quickest muscle gains we make are when we have nearly none at all. That first year is the best in those terms. I certainly would hope that people on this board think with open minds and consider possibilities instead of jumping to discredit someone without actually reading up on the statement at hand. Our purpose is to help OP, not argue that you don't like my idea and therefore it must be false..

Perhaps she should get a scale that has body fat/muscle weight? and then periodically record the changes in these on MFP.
  • dereklewisallen
    Options
    The first two months you begin strenuous workouts are the best times in any fitness novice regarding muscle gain. It's very possible she's gaining a lot of muscle quickly, especially with all the compound lifts she's doing. If she's getting stronger, she's getting fitter.

Thank you for saying this. I think even if it's not the entire answer, it certainly could be a part of it. Genetics play a huge role here, too, and if OP happens to have the muscle building goldmine that many of us wish we were born with, she might build muscle faster than the majority of others through just basic workouts. The fact is it could be several things, but we aren't her doctor and we can't ever "know", but eating 150g of protein a day and lifting weights... That's muscle building 101.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You probably need to give it some more time - you've lost a couple of pounds (242 to 240), possibly as much as 6lb in the last 6 weeks. Okay, it doesn't sound like a lot at your starting weight (I started at 238lb and lost 2lb a week for the first month), but it's a definite start.

The reason I'm saying give it some time is because you've hit the gym hard from the get-go. I started by walking, and lost steadily. In the last six or so weeks, I started hitting the gym, and not even that hard - three days a week of a half-hour lifting routine. My weight had completely stalled - barely lost 3lb in six weeks. Then this morning, whoosh - I've lost another 5lb. Reason? My body has been holding onto water to repair those muscles I've been working hard.

I believe, if you're logging accurately, then you've just got to be patient and trust the process. Give it another couple of weeks. If it's still stalled then, you might want to check with your doctor to rule out any underlying hormonal issues.

Good luck!
  • Laurenlen
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to just keep plugging on. I use digital scales to weigh my food and I always double check mfp nutrition values (sometimes they are inaccurate).

I don't eat any more calories on training days, always the same. I don't see how I can not be in a calorie deficit with this plan? That's what has me so confused.

I am getting stronger, I hit personal bests each week although the increments are now starting to get smaller. I am not messing around with light weights.

Re building muscle being the cause of not losing weight, it makes sense and there is a comfort in it. But I kinda think with the amount of fat I have to lose I can't believe I am gaining muscle at a rate high enough to negate weight loss from fat?? I'm not an expert obviously it's just my feeling. I understand if I was losing only a little fat that my weight could even go up with my measurements going down - but surely from my starting point of being really quite overweight with a high fat percentage then even with the muscle I'm building I should see some loss as there is so much TO lose.

That might not make any sense or be completely misguided?
  • dereklewisallen
    Options
    [/quote]

Perhaps she should get a scale that has body fat/muscle weight? and then periodically record the changes in these on MFP.
    [/quote]

Totally. The major point in the case of those devices is that they can give different readings for different brands, etc. A good one is usually accurate to a certain point, but you have to always use the same scale every time. Another person here recommended that you weigh yourself at specific intervals, which is also true. In the morning before eating anything is good, as eating and drinking can distort the scale's findings. The changes OP sees may not be 100% accurate (in fact, without spending a few thousand dollars there really is no 100% accurate way to tell those ratios) but even if it's a pound off here and there the change in loss would be evident. Reading this may help explain better:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/269992-digital-scales-for-body-fat-weight/

It also recommends calipers if you don't mind buying those.
  • dereklewisallen
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to just keep plugging on. I use digital scales to weigh my food and I always double check mfp nutrition values (sometimes they are inaccurate).

I don't eat any more calories on training days, always the same. I don't see how I can not be in a calorie deficit with this plan? That's what has me so confused.

I am getting stronger, I hit personal bests each week although the increments are now starting to get smaller. I am not messing around with light weights.

Re building muscle being the cause of not losing weight, it makes sense and there is a comfort in it. But I kinda think with the amount of fat I have to lose I can't believe I am gaining muscle at a rate high enough to negate weight loss from fat?? I'm not an expert obviously it's just my feeling. I understand if I was losing only a little fat that my weight could even go up with my measurements going down - but surely from my starting point of being really quite overweight with a high fat percentage then even with the muscle I'm building I should see some loss as there is so much TO lose.

That might not make any sense or be completely misguided?

I think that muscle building, water retention, and perhaps other things are combining to make it seem like you aren't losing "weight." The important part for any diet and exercise plan isn't to lose weight, it's to burn fat. If your measurements are down a couple cm, that's good. Its much much more accurate that way then by simply standing on a scale. :-)