Counting calories burned during sport?

Options
I play a lot of sport - what's a good tool to calculate exactly how much I'm burning? Are there any good pedometers you would recommend?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A pedometer isn't what you want. Those count steps. What you want in a Heart Rate Monitor, with a chest strap. They will give you the most accurate estimate of your calorie burns.
  • zoefruitcake
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit flex wristband which then syncs with MFP, it does various calculations and works well for me
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you regularly play sports, I would just increase your activity level to incorporate it. Many of us use the TDEE method so we aren't guessing on how many calories your a burning. For example, I workout 5-6 hours a week, 5'11, 185, 31 years old and I eat 2500 calories daily. I lose 1 lb a week so I know my TDEE is 3000 calories - TDEE being average maintenance calories. And i have never worn a HRM or body media.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I like the motoactv (discontinued, but still available) along with a HRM strap (it connects to standard ones) - it does include a pedometer, as well as GPS etc. This means it should be able to provide better accuracy for sports that may involve periods where you're not moving but your heart rate is still elevated - ie ball sports etc.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit flex wristband which then syncs with MFP, it does various calculations and works well for me

Since summer is coming soon, I am thinking about getting one as well. I like to do a lot of outdoor gardening and walking.