Starting over..1200 cals a day just wasn't working! Help?

Options
Hello everyone, I'm an 18 year old 5'4'' female weighing about 195lbs. I've heard in many reputable places and sites that netting 1200 calories a day is the minimum a female should, and will result in weight loss. Different BMR calculators have told me my body burns anywhere from 1700-2200 calories per day, depending on which calculator I used. So, I thought this would work.. Back in December, I lost about 8 lbs of water weight on this amount of calories and have continued a 1200-calorie net intake pretty much every day since. I have not lost a single more pound. I live in a dorm in college, so I have had no way to weigh myself until going home this past weekend and to my astonishment, the number on the scale hasn't changed. This is obviously extremely frustrating for me. I am severely uncomfortable with my body and have been for years. I sync myfitnesspal on my phone with my fitbit, and I get about 4,000-8,000+ average steps per day. I walk to and from class, but have little time for exercise since I go to a very hard school and spend a majority of my time that I am not asleep doing homework and studying. So as you can see, I'm not really able to exercise regularly (believe me, I love exercise and go whenever I find the time.. Sometimes once every week or two. Like I said, I wish I could go more, but school comes first most of the time).

My question is, what should I do about my calorie intake? I've looked at other posts on this site and have seen people with similar situations and they've been told to increase their daily calorie intake.. Is that what I should do? Please help, living in this body is torture and I want more than anything to change it.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Pay close attention to the information you enter in MFP. The system will give the lowest amount of calories at 1200 for "Sedentary" because it assumes that you will not exercise at all. Most people are at least "Lightly Active". You should also set a realistic weight loss goal for each week. Don't feel the need to lose 2lbs. a week unless it fits your health situation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here is another site that will help you understand BMR adn TDEE better:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You don't have to use both. Pick one and stick with it for a while.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you aren't using a food scale or measuring cups for liquids, it is very possible that you are under estimating your calorie intake. I would suggest that your numbers are off somewhere. Since you are using a FitBit, you have a good idea what you are burning. A 500 calorie deficit per day would be a good target. But you need to get a handle on your intake.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    you're not logging accurately. there's no way you can't lose weight at 1200. make sure you're weighing your food, and when you have started logging properly, there's no reason why you can't eat more than 1200 for reasonable weight loss
  • slivas22
    slivas22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I believe that your calorie intake is too low, I also am 5"4 and was 195. My calorie intake was never that low, I started at about 1,600 (this was along with daily exercise). As someone else stated, you should set your activity at "light activity" at least. It is best to gradually reduce calorie intake as you reach weight loss plateaus; starting at the minimum leaves you with no room for calorie reduction later down the line, being that 1,200 is quite low.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    On top of what previous posters have said, stress from school also plays a factor. Make sure you have time to relax
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    Agree with the stress maybe messing with your weight as well as improper logging. If you are somehow able to fit in any workout per day it will help alleviate stress. If you were to even walk 15 mins a day, outside of your normal walking, and not take any school stuff with you I am sure you will feel better as well as find that it isn't as hard as you think to take a little time for yourself for exercise everyday.
  • Labrydog
    Labrydog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 and female and was trying to keep to 1200cals per day plus exercise. I found that I had to weigh EVERYTHING as I really wasn't good at "guesstimating". So you could be overestimating. However, I did find 1200cals hard to stick to but since I've upped to 1350cal plus exercise I find it suits me better, I don't feel deprived and I'm happy to not quite lose 2lb a week but mostly 1.5lbs. The one BIG difference I found though was the macros. I was eating correctly as per my calorie allowance but was way over on my carbs and sugars and way under on my fats (MFP default 50 carb, 30 fat, 20 protein). When I changed my diet around to nearer the MFP defaults and started introducing healthy fats the weight started to drop off!!!
  • RToland45
    RToland45 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stress is a big factor as well as sleep when it comes to weight loss. I am on a 1200 calories a day plan and I am losing fat not water. Speaking of, make sure you are drinking lots of water as it helps to flush out fat!
  • redflamelily
    redflamelily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm an 18 year old 5'4'' female weighing about 195lbs. I've heard in many reputable places and sites that netting 1200 calories a day is the minimum a female should, and will result in weight loss. Different BMR calculators have told me my body burns anywhere from 1700-2200 calories per day, depending on which calculator I used. So, I thought this would work.. Back in December, I lost about 8 lbs of water weight on this amount of calories and have continued a 1200-calorie net intake pretty much every day since. I have not lost a single more pound. I live in a dorm in college, so I have had no way to weigh myself until going home this past weekend and to my astonishment, the number on the scale hasn't changed. This is obviously extremely frustrating for me. I am severely uncomfortable with my body and have been for years. I sync myfitnesspal on my phone with my fitbit, and I get about 4,000-8,000+ average steps per day. I walk to and from class, but have little time for exercise since I go to a very hard school and spend a majority of my time that I am not asleep doing homework and studying. So as you can see, I'm not really able to exercise regularly (believe me, I love exercise and go whenever I find the time.. Sometimes once every week or two. Like I said, I wish I could go more, but school comes first most of the time).

My question is, what should I do about my calorie intake? I've looked at other posts on this site and have seen people with similar situations and they've been told to increase their daily calorie intake.. Is that what I should do? Please help, living in this body is torture and I want more than anything to change it.

hiya, I think perhaps 1200 might be a bit too low to begin with. your body will go into starvation mode and slow down your metabolic rate to compensate, try upping them, to around 1300/1350 and you should see weght start to come off. also make sure you log accurately as it's sooo easy to miss a stray candy, half glass of wine etc :-) keep at it.
  • ivychung
    ivychung Posts: 1
    Options
    I would agree with other posters that 1500 is a realistic target for the day, but make that quality: high fibre, good amount of protein and don't be afraid of fat, especially the mono-unsaturated kind. I aim for 400 calories in each meal, and then some snacks to get through the day. And yes weigh your food. It's so easy to underestimate. Other posters have also mentioned macros: I aim for 40-45% carbs, 25-30% protein and 30% fat. I find this fills me up and I rarely get hungry above my calorie allowance. In fact, most days I don't eat it. I also find my blood sugar and moods are more stable with less carbs.

Some other posters have pointed out stress from your studies. Stress can definitely be a big factor - a hard school is likely to keep stress (and cortisol levels) up and that makes it really hard to shift weight.

The other thing is I'd recommend going to a doc and getting a check up of all the vitals: fasting blood glucose and insulin, iron count, thyroid, etc. Because abnormalities in those readings can really impinge on your weight loss efforts. I tried many diets over the years and never managed to lose weight, but it turns out my fasting insulin is through the roof (even though my blood sugar is fine, so basically a precursor to diabetes). I'm managing the insulin levels now through medication, and the weight is coming off (combined with diet and exercise).

Finally, if you love exercise, put study notes on your iPod or phone or similar, and head out for long walks/runs. Or get a friend to buddy up with you. Exercise will raise your metabolism, keep stress levels down and make it easier to lose weight. It'll also help your focus and concentration so there's a good chance it'll help you learn and retain your studies.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 cals for months on end with no results. I now eat 1650 cals a day & am loosing consistently - I'm 5ft 7 and 188lb. I would recommend you use the calc on here to find out your BMR - this is energy you use just being alive (if you lay in bed all day, you BMR is the number of cals you would burn). My BMR is about 1600, so I am eat just above that at 1650 - you really should no eat below BMR.

To loose 1lb each week you need to have a deficit of 3500 cals per week - so you can use your fitbit to ensure that you are burning on average 500 more cals per day more than you are eating. I use a fit bit too - they are great for taking the guess work out of what you are burning. You probably know how many cals you burn a day - what does your fit bit tell you?? You are probably more active than you realise - even just spending part of your day walking/on your feet may give you enough of a deficit.

I think the challenge with being at school, is that you maybe cant weigh your food? How accurately can you track your food & drink. I weigh everything (and I mean everything).