Fitbit or Not!!

Options
I went into Best Buy on yesterday and at the front door, there was a display of Fitbit trackers... I went online to do some research on them and there was some good and bad news about them all....

Do you guys think that these activity tracker are accurate and if so which one do you have and why do you like it????

Replies

• stacyshan
    stacyshan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been a fan for years, I get the arm band because I love the alarm feature that vibrates to wake me up. It's pretty accurate & the stats it gives you online, especially if you have friends with them also is motivating to move.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I think they are very accurate, I have had mine for about 3 yrs. I like being able to see how much (or how little) I have walked. I have an older model, can't even get it anymore, but I have NEVER had a problem with it. Very dependable.
  • jldubyah
    jldubyah Posts: 11
    Options
    I love my fitbit flex. I use it as an awareness tool - I like knowing more about my daily activity levels. My favorite part about my flex is that it taught me I'm not sedentary per the MFP definition - even though I have a desk job. This means I get to eat more:flowerforyou:
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have use a FitBit for the last 3 years. I started with the Ultra, which they no longer make. I am now using the Force and love it. If nothing more, it drives me to keep moving. I feel it is very accurate for the walking I do. I have walked over 5000 miles in the last 3 years.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Like almost every topic on this board, you will find people who love it and those that don't. Personally, I love my Fitbit Flex. I like counting my steps and like knowing how many I have until I reach my goal for the day. It really depends on they type of exercise that you do. IT works well for treadmill, arc trainer, elliptical, walking, etc. It doesn't work well for lifting, swimming or anything else where you don't take steps.
  • Aemylue
    Aemylue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    for the most part they are accurate. unless you do a lot of working out with weights and strength training. it doesn't seem to record that movement correctly
  • Eliza4179
    Options
    I have the fitbit one, and LOVE it! I clip it to my bra so I don't lose it with as many times as I go to the restroom with all the water I consume. It is very accurate and it keeps me accountable. The best part is that I can sync it to MFP and it does the work for me. I like the One because of the visual readout on it, unlike the flex. I like to see my progress in numbers as the day progresses.
  • DanniHejl
    DanniHejl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, i loved my Force, but I had to stop wearing it and I have to send it back because of the rash and the recall. I just asked a similar question. I was curious at what was more accurate logging exercise into MFP or syncing with fitbit. I do like the fitbits in that it kept me pushing myself when I couldloof at my progress for the day. I think they are a good investment as a tool to push you a little farther every day.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In my experience it was pretty accurate for walking, but not for much else. So it's a great tool if you're just looking to walk more, or to track distance each day. Not so great if you're using it while doing any sort of weight-lifting, plyometrics, Crossfit, etc. Or for tracking sleeping.
  • SanDoThis
    SanDoThis Posts: 31
    Options
    I went from the NIke fuelband to the fitbit and then back to the Nike Fuelband. Once I swtiched from the Fuelband to the fitbit I started gaining weight back..... i think it gave me more calories back while updating than needed. I think the fuelband is more secure, I lost my fitbit more that one time, at work, in bed, in the car..... I think it if it was build a little better I still would have kept it but I personally wasnt to impressed and I went back to Nike. :-)
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is awesome in that it gets me motivated to move and walk and not sit all day easy to do at this job. I use it and have used the Flex since June of last year and am very happy with it.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Flex since the end of February & at first I was skeptical of it. I connected it with MFP & it started giving or taking away calories based on how much I moved that day. I went with it & usually eat most of the exercise calories that it gives me, and I'm still losing weight - so I think it's fairly accurate. It's also generally good for awareness, as another poster mentioned - I walk to campus & back everyday & never would have guessed that I still barely walk 5,000 steps a day. Now, I often take 1.5 - 2 mile walks after class & on the weekends because I enjoy it & love to see what the Fitbit tells me afterwards. That's something I never would have done before I got this device.
  • agility4life
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I absolutely love it! I have had it since October 2013. It actually works pretty well to track activity, not sure how accurate it is because it goes off hand motion, often times at my kids sporting events I end up with activity from clapping. It is super motivational, allowing you to see how many steps or activity minutes you have gotten as well as allowing you to compete with friends. It links with myfitnesspal, allowing you to not have to worry about imputing the exercise you have completed. The sleep track is a nice feature, lets you know how much sleep you are getting in time as well as how many times you were restless during the night. It is mostly defiantly worth the investment!
    :smile:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have a Flex and I love it!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one. I LOVE it. VERY accurate. (we ride roller coasters at six flags...no false counting...or tracking of flights of stairs when I am on the ride.) Syncs well. I LOVE mine. (I wear it on my bra. it syncs with my droid phone.)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've um'd and ah'd about getting one, but decided against it. I track how long I walk using MapMyWalk which suits me because I've just started trying to do 1hr of some sort of conscious exercise every day, and right now walking is what I choosing to do to get into it, but later I want to add other cardio like stationary rowing and cycling which don't do well with FitBit. Also, I might find tracking the steps a bit overkill at the moment. I have enough numbers in my life with calories, protein and work!!
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have the Fit Bit Zip and I love it! This may sound weird, but it's really changed my life.

I have it on always and it's really made me finally see how many calories I expend in a day vs. how many calories I eat using MFP for food tracking and then syncing them. I get most of my exercise from walking, but I do use MFP to track specific exercise, like cycling, etc. because my FITBIT doesn't track them.

It's really motivated me to get 10,000 plus steps a day, track calories in, and even more importantly OUT, and active minutes per day. Best motivator I've ever had and it's a part of my clothing every day now.

My weight loss really kicked in once I started using it. I know each day what my deficit is. Knowledge is such power!
  • z0mbiebrains
    z0mbiebrains Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I loved my FitBit until i washed it. I found that it was very accurate in counting my steps. Seeing the amount of activity i was doing each day also kept me motivated. I always wanted to do better than the day before, and even if i didnt, I look at the matter of being motivated as most important. I haven't been using a FitBit for about 9 months now and not seeing those numbers every day does make me feel kind of lost. The calorie portion i had synced to MFP, so it was super easy to keep track of calories everyday. Overall, I'd recommend a FitBit to anyone.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    I have the Fit Bit Zip and I love it! This may sound weird, but it's really changed my life.

I have it on always and it's really made me finally see how many calories I expend in a day vs. how many calories I eat using MFP for food tracking and then syncing them. I get most of my exercise from walking, but I do use MFP to track specific exercise, like cycling, etc. because my FITBIT doesn't track them.

It's really motivated me to get 10,000 plus steps a day, track calories in, and even more importantly OUT, and active minutes per day. Best motivator I've ever had and it's a part of my clothing every day now.

My weight loss really kicked in once I started using it. I know each day what my deficit is. Knowledge is such power!

^^This.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had my flex for 3 weeks & have lost consistently since then (was not loosing before). Love being able to track cals burned & make sure I have a good deficit for the week. Motivates me to move more too. Love it!!