Healthy Snack Ideas That Won't Break The Calorie Bank?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some healthy snack ideas that won't send me into a calorie tailspin. I have low blood sugar and tend to need something to maintain my blood sugar. I can't seem to find the right combinations to keep me going between my 6:30 a.m. breakfast to my noon lunch time and what I do grab eats away at my daily calorie bank. ( a handful of almonds doesn't work :)) Any suggestions? I try to avoid processed foods so I don't mind getting in the kitchen and making snacks from scratch. Thanks!

Replies

• Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    Posted an amazing recipe here for brownies.. only 90-110 cals a slice

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1251493-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-brownies
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    I also have a lovely recipe for 100 calorie muffins see this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1237321-my-super-skinny-100-calorie-muffins

Both make great snacks!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, strips of bell pepper, celery, grape tomatoes, any other crunchy veggies you like. You can find a low calorie dip or hummus to use, or just eat them plain if you like the taste. I like Greek yogurt for a snack as well. Protein can help you feel fuller for longer. I make a veggie dip out of plain Greek yogurt that's pretty good.

Also, I don't get them any more, but Graze boxes have the option to order low-calorie snacks in the Graze box. I always used to get some fun little combinations of dried fruit and nuts and tasty things like that, most of the punnets were 120 calories or less.
  • enchampion
    enchampion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just had the same issue-- I ate a medium apple 70 cals and 4 hardboiled eggwhites.... yum
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Any whole fresh fruit. Citrus in particular is low in calories.
  • jessaggio
    Options
    Hummus and veggies :) I usually have a teeny bit of hummus on cucumber slices! Delish!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bumping for future use
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    well I do it for lunch and snacks but, I make tuna salad (tuna, light mayo, pickle relish, boiled egg and celery) on a toasted peace of wheat bread with 1 once of avocado. with the way I make the tuna salad it's only 183 cals. Your getting tuna and good oil with the avocado and it's very filling for a few hours.
    Make it on Sundays and have it for when every threw out the week... easy grab for quick fixes
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tminus18
    Tminus18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    These suggestions are great. Thank you. I hope this thread keeps going as you all have some wonderful ideas.
    The Graze box looks interesting. Kind of like Birchbox and IpsyBag with food (and food is always good.) :) Also Honeycat89's blog has some great recipies for healthy snacks so that is a nice find. I found a site called SkinnyKitchen.com that recreates known recipies into skinny versions. Worth checking out. Thank God for Trader Joes or getting healthy would break this girl's budget.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I buy packs of peanut butter crackers. They have 6 crackers per pack with 170 calories for the whole pack. There's lots of different flavors I get like PB&J and Fudge/graham. I have a huge sweet tooth, so it's definitely satisfying.
  • Mgsilve
    Mgsilve Posts: 24
    Options
    Grapes are my favorite, a cup is only 65 calories. If you freeze them they are like little candies. I also like pistachios with the shell on because it feels better than eating potato chips (when you have to get them out). Apples with peanut butter is yummy and nostalgic. :) Any yummy fruit or nut is great.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
  • ktraubert
    ktraubert Posts: 29
    Options
    I like taking an apple and dipping it in a little bit of plain greek yogurt mixed with pb2 (the powdered peanut butter with the majority of the fat removed). The protein keeps me satisfied longer and it's delish!
  • Tminus18
    Tminus18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like taking an apple and dipping it in a little bit of plain greek yogurt mixed with pb2 (the powdered peanut butter with the majority of the fat removed). The protein keeps me satisfied longer and it's delish!

This is a great suggestion. I have never heard of this. Where can I find pb2?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and pineapple.
    Hummus and vegies.
    Greek yogurt and berries or walnuts.
    Homemade energy logs (I basically make these http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3521720-No-Bake-Energy-Bites without the coconut and chocolate chips).
    Pre-make some ground turkey into little meatballs.
    Pre-cook chicken breast, and keep it cut up into little cubes.
  • carlywitham
    carlywitham Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    50g of fat free greek yoghurt + 1/2 tsp of honey & tsp of flaked almonds is only about 80 calories and definitely fills a gap while feeling like a treat. YUM YUM YUM
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Amazon sells it, I've never seen it in a store.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Amazon sells it, I've never seen it in a store.

I find it in the "health food" section of my grocery store (like where the vegan stuff is, not where the slimfast skakes are). Or where they have the Nutella, depends on the store.