WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER

Options

Replies

• rfsahae
    rfsahae Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Mimigrands - - :heart: my good friend :heart: - - thank you for the warm words of re-welcome. I missed you, too! And thank you to those who expressed their condolences. I know many of you have already been through loss of your mother and know exactly whereof you speak (lots of wisdom in this thread, and not just about weight).

I'm going to have to change my profile picture - - our friend Mimigrands doesn't look like that any more! She's my favorite shrinking violet. Svelte, sleek and sassy. I was good today, too. Spent 65 minutes on the treadmill and rewarded myself with a hot bubble bath! Need to be good tomorrow, too. One day at a time.
    Happy New Year everyone!

Here's a warm wish for all of you:
    :laugh: A New Year Prayer for the Elderly
    :laugh: God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    :laugh: The good fortune to run into the ones that I do,
    :laugh: And the eyesight to tell the difference.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Randy,

Loved your "prayer." LOL. Sorry to hear that you lost your mom earlier this month.

I celebrated Christmas with my parents and my friend Linda. She had a nasty bout of bronchitis and Christmas Day felt well enough to come to my place for dinner. I did a prime rib roast, carrots, baked potatoes, green salad, and we finished the meal off with vanilla ice cream and a slice of the naughty "turtle cake" that I picked up at Walmart.

Today, I slept in, finished cleaning up the aftermath of dinner in my kitchen, and later in the afternoon, I went to my parents' place with my neighbor the electronics guru--who had suggested I get a programmable remote control for my dad to make it easier for him to get the tv, cable box, vcr and dvd all doing what he wants them to without him having to call me all the time to ask what he is doing wrong. The programmable remote was a great idea--BUT, the one my friend has actually makes things easy. The one that I purchased had a display screen that was too small for anyone with normal eyesight to read, and it was confusing to ME, so I figured there was NO chance my 84 year old dad was going to have any hope of figuring it out. I will be returning the remote tomorrow, and now I have to come up with another Christmas gift for my dad.

I baked halibut tonight for dinner at my mom's. It is quick, very tasty, low in fat and high in protein.

Welcome to the newbies. I am fading fast, so good night for now.

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Randy and welcome to all newcomers.

:frown: Jeannie how rude of your "guests" to rush through the meal and then dash off. As Barbie said in her post, your friend John and his family are true friends. You have turned the other cheek once too often, now it's time to cut them out of your lives.

:smile: I had a lovely Christmas Day, my son and family came over for Christmas Lunch. I made them a quorn roast with veggies, roast potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings. Hubby and I had roast beef instead of the quorn. Poor son wasn't feeling too well, he was full of cold and had a bad headache, but he managed to have a good time. We had some gifts that Santa had left for Kain to open at our house. He was really spoilt this year. I had to laugh though, he's 5yrs old now and he tells things like they are. One of the things I'd gotten him was a Ben 10 clock together with a little watch and an alarm clock - he took one look at it said A clock?? and put it aside and went to open another present. He obviously wasn't impressed! His two favourite things were a battery operated hamster that when you pressed its paw and spoke it would repeat what you had said, but it changed the speed so that it made you sound like a chipmunk or really slow :bigsmile: and would you believe it, the old favourite Play Doh.

:frown: It's such a shame that it's over so quickly. Seems to take weeks/months to plan and then it's over. Hey ho. back to normality :smile: I didn't overindulge too much on Christmas Day, probably too busy seeing everyone else was catered for, but on Boxing Day when it was just me and hubby and DD, I did have a few too many calories. I now need to get back to exercising!! Must admit with all this snow around it's been too slippy to run, so I bet it will be like starting all over again. I'm sure I've lost the bit of stamina I'd built up.

:flowerforyou: Randy love the little poem.

:flowerforyou: Robin vent away - get it out of your system.

:flowerforyou: Mimi glad to see you back, I roasted veggies at Christmas in your honour! You sound as if you had a good time with your grandchildren.

:flowerforyou: Barbie hope the Chinese meal didn't cause you too many problems, you are so focussed, you are soon able to get back on track. I'm getting there - very slowly - I am pleased that I am (sometimes) able to refuse food/nibbles and not just eat for the sake of it or because it is there - and it's because I can see how it has worked for you.

:flowerforyou: If I haven't mentioned you, please know that I value every one of you as a good friend, and I love reading how you are getting on.

:smile: Well I'd better get a move on, lots to do and I promised myself I would not spend too long sat at the computer.

:heart: Happy Monday!

:heart: :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies

Randy, I too liked your prayer!

Robin, vent away! Sometimes it helps.

Sister Veggie Queen, it's good to see you back on the roasted veggies. I love your stories of your grandchildren - you tell them so well.

Barbie, I hope the sodium in the Chinese food was not too evil!

Jeannie, what friends! They won't be missed if you cut them out of your life. I'm glad your other friends were there to bring balance.

Karlene, thank you for your interesting post - I am sure it rings true to many of us.

Lynn, welcome back to the 'nitty gritty'.

Kackie, I can't wait to hear the engagement story.

Chiclet, I loved the story of Boo and Sparkie!

Michele, what was your DH thinking about - plying you with chocolate and wine? Maybe you could sneak some of the chocolate along when you have your hair coloured.

To all others who have posted and all the newbies - I have read your posts and think of you all.

I'm spending the day having a 'dvd and duvet day', keeping warm and trying to get over this dratted bronchitis. We had a lovely Christmas and Boxing day, but I am wiped out completely now from staying awake all night coughing. Also, DH tried to 'bump me off' on Christmas day. I'm allergic to strawberries and he gave me a cracker with a thin slice of stilton topped with what he thought was cranberry sauce .... except it was strawberry jam! Considering he has so many allergies himself and insists on reading all labels (and I read them too before I buy anything for him), he could have taken a little more care. Fortunately my future daughter in law is a nurse and had her epipen with her. I had a full blown asthma attack and still have blisters in my mouth, but at least it didn't get a complete hold. Poor DH feels extremely badly about it - but good! (I know that's mean, but he really should know better by now).

I may have a little nap now. I did have a good walk on the treadmill earlier, but I'm extremely achy/shaky, so I'm not too worried about exercise for the next day or so.

Everyone enjoy any remaining celebrations please.

Love

Amanda x
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful weekend and a great Christmas. Two lovely church services, and fellowship with our church family. Family and friends in for Christmas day. All day with the Grandkids. Beautiful fresh snow. Postcard perfect!

So nice to return to all the MFP friends, you are all sources of inspiration and delight.

Now to run the excess food off. I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, I own the cookie it does not own me, the cheesecake is another matter! :bigsmile:

Happy Monday, back to walking the worries away! Alice
  • edmontonukeplayer
    edmontonukeplayer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am so glad to report that I am with many of you who are recording that the Christmas eating has ceased!!! Back to healthy in!. For those still moving towards getting back on the healthy track I am sending out good wishes for you.

Decision has been made that we will be spending the whole holiday season in the city and not going to our cabin in northern Saskatchewan for New Year. I know it is the best decision for my mother who is still moving very slow but fortunately has not developed any complications from her fall. However, sitting in the vehicle for the 4 hour drive to the cabin would be too much for her right now. So we will stay in the city for the week. Mom and Dad will stay here until after next weekend and are hopeful that mom will improve enough so they can drive home (8 hour drive) next Monday.

Wonderful phone call: my daughter is bringing over grandbaby for me to "babysit" while she goes shopping. Such a pleasure job!

Have a good day all,
    Karlene
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. I've not kept up very well over the Christmas holiday. I also didn't eat very well (or ate too well, as the case may be), but I got back yesterday to eating how I ought to be, and although the scale shows some damage done, I'm feeling better already. Seeing my ticker move farther from my goal weight when I was only one pound away a short time ago gives me motivation to do the things that are right for me.

I took my mom shopping yesterday for a new TV for her bedroom. The one she had was old and tired, and it finally gave up last week. I haven't heard from her yet this morning, but I hope she didn't have any trouble operating it last night.

I've been battling a head cold going on three weeks now. It's not debilitating, but it sure is annoying. I'll be happy to say goodbye to it — sometime soon, I hope.

I hope you all have a nice start to the last week of the year. :flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all.

Welcome to our newbies :flowerforyou: and welcome back, Randy!:heart: I was so sorry to hear about your loss.

I did not do very well with the holiday eating. I am back on track today and will be going to the store tomorrow for some more veggies and fruits. We seem to be out of almost everything healthy!

Our Christmas was nice--quiet, for the most part and small as there aren't too many family members in this state anymore. The ham was just the right size for our meal and there is some left for both my DSs lunch sandwiches and for the soup I will make on New Years Day.

Today I am getting back on track as my exercising has been haphazard, to say the least, this past week. Also--lots of water to flush out all the sodium!

Have a good day, everyone.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Everyone - Thanks for all the words of support. They brought good tears to my eyes. Your words of wisdom are correct.

Randy – Condolences for your Mom’s passing. Somehow I missed that post. I love your warm wish for us all and with your permission; I’d like to pass it on.

Today I updated and changed my MFP goals. I changed my goal weight from 135 to 130 and updated my weight to what the scale said. As much as I don't like to say "New Years Resolutions", the new year is a new beginning. So I am getting ready to hit the ground running on January 3rd to loose the last 10 pounds in 2011.

We are expecting snow and we hope to go skiing for the first time on January 2nd.

Have a great day all and drink plenty of water to wash the holiday extras away.

Jeannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Welcome Julie! What part of Florida are you in?

OK, I overindulged. Now back to business. Today (Sun) the girls left and I was stress eating, had some of the babka that I made (no cream cheese). I'm only about 250 calories over for today. But I am back drinking water. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the xtreme pump class. Jessica left her keys here so I need to mail them to her. I also need to get a gift certificate for Jessica to give Ken. Spent most of the a.m. shoveling snow. I DID NOT MOVE TO NC TO SHOVEL SNOW!!!! But it WAS good exercise.

I'm getting rid of things, like I threw away most of the babka, just so that it wouldn't tempt me again.

Robin - so sorry your son won't join you. Kids can really rip your heart out, eh??? I know...only too well...

Got a couple of exercise DVD's for Christmas so I need to try them out just to be sure the DVD's are ok. Also got a full step with four risers, a foam roller, and a disk (I don't know what they are called technically, filled with air, rubber)

Have a question for you ladies (a woman-type thing): I last had my period in January. Then last night I had this funny feeling in my lower abdomen. Then, this a.m. I went to the bathroom and I'd gotten my period! That funny feeling in my abdomen was cramps (I'd forgotten what they felt like....lol). Admitted, this period isn't anywhere near as heavy as it used to be. Is it normal to get a period after so long? The advantage to having these cramps is that I don't feel like eating. And with all these goodies in the house.......

Went to an extreme pump class today (Mon). I'm getting back on track, only about 55 calories over today, which is much less than 200 yesterday. I got a bunch of workout DVD's that I really need to do for one thing to be sure there isn't a problem and I need to return it, so tomorrow I'll do one called Bob Harper Pure Burn.

Amanda - that's not a bad idea at all, sneaking some of the chocolate into the candy dish! Yup, I think that's what I'll do. Glad you're getting better after that horrid strawberry experience!

Have a great evening everyone!

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    new profile picture is grandson, Jesse, age 4 months :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Day 2 on the straight and narrow. Yahoo! :happy: By tomorrow morning, I just may be back at my ticker weight!

Randy, it is so good to see you back. :heart: And thank you for your nice words. Hmm. Svelte, sleek, and sassy. I’ll own up to the sassy part. I might get away with the others from a good distance (if you’re near-sighted)! :tongue: I love the senility prayer. I’ve got it on a magnet on my fridge. (I have a very classy fridge.)

Barb, the dinner you cooked sounds magnifico. A true Christmas dinner. :drinker:

Viv, your Christmas sounds lovely, warm, and cozy - all the good things the best Christmases offer. Your grandson is a pistol. I love the way the little ones tell the truth with nary a qualm.

Amanda, hope you’re feeling better. The story of the strawberry jam was frightening. I’m glad you’re okay. :flowerforyou: (And good for you for not letting DH off the hook too easily.)

Alice…I like it…I own the cookie, it does not own me. :laugh: I’ll remember that one.

Karlene, grandbabies are the best. Much easier (for me) than the kiddos were. No staying up all night with kids who have croup either.

Jill, Kathy, Alice, Karlene, Michele, and everyone else who’s feeling a renewed sense of commitment - it’s so good to be back on track and wonderful that we’re in it together.

Jeannie, you have made awesome progress. :flowerforyou: Your sticktoitiveness inspires me.

Barbie, your grandson is adorable! :love:
  • wizzywig
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    new profile picture is grandson, Jesse, age 4 months :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: :heart: He's gorgeous - just had to stop reading and post!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Seems this WAS the last post!.

Hi everyone, can't believe that 2010 is almost over, and that this time next week it will be 2011 and I'll be back at work!!

:flowerforyou: Amanda thank goodness your future DIL is a nurse and knew what to do. I bet your hubby is feeling guilty. Men sometimes do thinkgs without thinking don't they. I know you won't let him suffer too long. Enjoy your DVD and Duvet day.

:flowerforyou: Alice glad to hear from you again. Love your little ditty, I'll have to keep repeating it to myself . Sounds as if you had a lovely Christmas, unfortunately it rained all night and our snow has now turned to icy slush! :frown: :frown:
  • cinstuh
    Options
    Hi
    Iam new to this blog. Well blogging at all for that matter. Not really how to start all of this. I was gone for appx a month and NEED to get back on track and need some help keeping me motivated. Help!
    Cindy
  • wizzywig
    Options
    :flowerforyou: PART TWO

Sorry computer started playing up so thought I had better post what I had.

:flowerforyou: Mimi yes our Christmas was all the better for having our grandson with us, and yes kids do tell the truth without a thought don't they. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Welcome Jill - only 7lb to go, that's great. I hope to be in that position - hopefully by this time next year???????:smile:

:flowerforyou: Karlene I'm glad that your mum didn't break anything, sounds as if she's pretty bruised and shook up though, I hope she's fully recovered. How did the babysitting go?

:flowerforyou: Kathy thanks for the reminder about drinking water, I've hardly touched a drop this last week.

:flowerforyou: Barb it is so easy to get doggie meds mixed up. Many a time Frankie has had Tara's propaline (he shouldn't have any trouble with a leaky bladder) :bigsmile: but by the sounds of it yours was a lot more serious if it involved a trip to the vet. Hope you enjoyed the pinot noir - you deserved it after the trauma. Good job we love 'em!! A visit to the vet isn't cheap!

:flowerforyou: Denise Merry Christmas for tomorrow enjoy your family day and have a great time.

I really will have to end now, to everyone not mentioned - sending best wishes your way.

:heart: :heart:
  • PJilly
    Options
    Kathy – I didn’t do very well with holiday eating either. I always look for the silver lining, though, and I feel like I at least learned some more about myself as a result. What a journey this is.

Jeannie – Good luck with your new goal weight and that last 10 pounds!

Michele – Almost a year with no periods, and then you got one? I’ve always heard that menopause is “official” once you’ve gone a whole year. I’ll go three or four months sometimes, and then I’ll have two or three back to back. Who knows what’s going on? Last month, I had a period AND hot flashes at the same time. No fair. LOL.

Barbie – Your grandson is just beautiful.

Mimi – Good job on two days of straight and narrow. I managed it too, but it was a lot harder than I expected. It was worth it, though, as I am down 1.4 pounds this morning. There’s still some bonus weight here from the holidays, but I have hope that things will return to normal, including my appetite. It’s amazing how easy it is to fall back into eating sugary, fatty foods. And it’s disheartening how much I crave them right now, but I know this too shall pass. I just have to be tough enough to get through it. I will be. ;-)

Cindy – Welcome back to MFP!

Viv – You can definitely be at your goal by this time next year. Consistency has been the key for me, although that all went out the window over the holidays! I’m back, though, and I WILL get back down closer to goal again (I’m content to be in the 135 to 140 range, but I keep 135 as my goal to keep myself from straying too far.)

Day 3 of being back on track. The first day was easy. Yesterday was challenging. I wanted to go back to eating sweets, but I didn’t give in, so I feel good about that. The scale rewarded me this morning, so I feel even better and have the determination to stay on track today regardless of any cravings I may have. It’s not like I’m starving myself. I’m having a recovery week with my workouts, and I’m eating maintenance calories rather than at a deficit during this week. Next week, when I step up the workouts again, I may eat at a deficit again. It all depends on what the scale tells me Monday.

Have a wonderful Tuesday, everybody!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I too am really craving the sweets and salty fatty foods. It is really tough. I am really puffy and bloated this morning I am sure I will have a period soon because I know I didn't really gain 4 pounds overnight. I feel like the stay puff marshmallow man this morning. I need to really pound the water and eat clean but it is harder with DH around the house. I decided to throw out the last bit of fudge and to freeze the other candy that is around so it won't be tempting. At least I forewent the alcohol last night. that is step one.

I hope you all have a great day.
  • PJilly
    Options
    I felt really puffy and bloated yesterday, but I feel a little better this morning. I didn't forego the alcohol, though. I love my glass of wine with dinner. I did have 6 ounces instead of my usual 8. That and refusing to eat those last Christmas cookies that were calling my name was challenge enough for me. :tongue:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Barbie - What a beautiful picture! Your grandson looks like a real cutie!

We are going to have a big chef's salad for lunch today to help get rid of all the leftover ham. Today is free weights and the bike. My arthritis in my neck is so bad it is hard to do a lot of the common ab exercises. I think I will go back to doing some of the Wii stuff I did years ago. I think it helped and it did not hurt my neck. I can hardly wait to do my measurements the beginning of January. (not!) I guess in the 2 year picture of things, they will look great.

Welcome to all those new and welcome back to all those who have been MIA. To all others - warm wishes for the day.

Jeannie
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat--your grandson is adorable!

I am doing much better on the water so far and the junk is gone from the house except for the last of a pie which is going into the trash in a little bit.

I need to get grocery shopping soon--hopefully TODAY! Not many veggies left and just a few pieces of fruit.

I may wait until the drivers get home, though, as it is pouring out right now!

Have a great day, all. On to my workout!