Shakeology?

Options

Replies

• SallyaStewart11
    SallyaStewart11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anybody has tried this or know anyone that has & if so what were the reviews & results. I'm doing research on it & checking everything out but I prefer to get firsthand opinions if possible. It looks really good so far though & the protein shake I drink in the mornings now doesn't really keep me full enough or energized enough. Thanks for your help!

Here is your very honest non sarcastic response:

Don't.

Here is why:

Shakology, like Herbalife or Metabolite or any number of MLM companies, are specifically built to pray on the weight loss seeker who at some point feels they need an aid or a jump start to weight loss. Though immoral sales tactics they provide you with piles of testimonials and reading materials that claim hard won scientific studies have proven that using their shakes is the magic answer to weight loss.

What they DON'T tell you is that the only reason you've shed pounds is because one shake is roughly 140 calories and is meant to replace a meal that would an average person would normally ingest 550-1000 calories at. So what it does is create a deficit that costs you $120 extra dollars a month, you could accomplish the same deficit with a gallon of ice cream a week by eating one scoop a day for $20 a month.

Is it unsafe? Not necessarily... however, the study they claim to have completed isn't published ANYWHERE which is a red flag. And they are an MLM so the sales team behind them is monetarily motivated to trick you into buying something you don't need to do something you can accomplish at the grocery store.

You don't need the stuff, safe that $120, watch your calories, and in a few months spend that cash you would have wasted on a new wardrobe for your self made new body.

Well said.

When I started my weight loss efforts--this time (there have been a few others), I decided THIS TIME I was doing it alone and not relying on any other "system" or "program" pill or product. (My wasted money went to weight watchers, Alli.) It's a change in your eating habits that work. Fewer calories in. Simple as that. Don't rely on ANYTHING as a crutch, or it won't work. Track your food intake consistently and as accurately as possible. Get more exercise and increase this as your weight loss progresses. I've lost 86 lbs in just over a year and it has been SO EASY. I wished I had figured out just how simple it could be years ago.

So if you want a protein shake in your daily diet plan, do it because you like it or it is convenient for your lifestyle. To do that just experiment! Good luck!
  • goldenbeautyxo
    goldenbeautyxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I will let you know next week! I'm starting a beachbody challenge, doing Focus T25 and it comes with a month of Shakeology. I'll let you know how I like it! :)

Are you doing the Instagram challenge??
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I have THE super secret awesome diet product:

Adipose_Industries.jpg

In all seriousness, I haven't used any special diet related products, aside from testing out a few different kinds of protein powder to help me get more protein in my diet. Best weight loss purchase I made was a $15 digital scale to help me accurately log my food. Not paying $$$ for diet pills or magic shakes saves more money for purchasing smaller sizes of clothes and doctor who audio adventures ;)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    in…to learn how the ingredients in shakeology are superior to other protein powders...

Come on, we all know that if something has a big brand name that it's automatically better than any of it's less expensive and equivalent competitors because... science?
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own opinion. I have been drinking Shakeology for 9 months now. Comparing any protein drink that I've had. I like the Shakeology the best. It's not chalky, it doesn't have an aftertaste, it actually fills me up and I don't crave sweets. My favorites are the Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla. So, here's to you~ :drinker: :smile:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The research on it is non-existent, unless you are just going by word of mouth. Their only "study" did not include a control group so basically it was pointless. If you are looking for a meal replacement, you can do that with whey protein.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started Shakeology about a month ago and I absolutely love it! I did chocolate last month and I was using it in the mornings with banana, chia seeds, ice, water and ground flaxseed, I've made no bake protein cookies with it (SO good!) and I currently started using it as a shake after dinner for dessert. I am not using it to lose weight quickly or really even as a replacement. I just like it.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different meal replacement shakes. Slim Fast, Herbalife, Advocare, Body By Vi, Shakeology. The aspartame in Slim Fast gives me migraines though I actually really like the taste. My dad sells Herbalife and gives me their meal replacement shakes for free, so I actually drink one for breakfast each day because I'm really not a breakfast person though I do add PB2 to it. I am an Advocare distributor and the cost of their meal replacement shakes isn't worth it to me when I can get something free from my dad but the taste is decent. Body By Vi sucks. It's the worst one I've ever tasted. And Shakeology...is the best meal replacement shake I've tasted when made per the instructions. Obviously you can make many of these taste better by adding other things, but Shakeology tastes great on its own and in my opinion you don't need to add things to it to make it taste better. For me, though, the cost isn't worth it.

I can't speak to whether or not it keeps you full because I only had one sample and that was years ago.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I will let you know next week! I'm starting a beachbody challenge, doing Focus T25 and it comes with a month of Shakeology. I'll let you know how I like it! :)

No, I don't use Instagram. The 'challenge' I was referring to is the package I bought; the Focus T25 'challenge pack'. it should be here tomorrow woo hoo :P
  • goldenbeautyxo
    goldenbeautyxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options

No, I don't use Instagram. The 'challenge' I was referring to is the package I bought; the Focus T25 'challenge pack'. it should be here tomorrow woo hoo :P

Ahh ok lol. It must have been a lady on instagram selling those packages. Well good luck to ya!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I sell it and can send you a sample if you would like to try it!

:mad:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love shakeology. Today I made myself a peanut butter chocolate shake and it's amazing!
  • lsmorgan21
    lsmorgan21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am debating on whether to try it. There is a new program called the 21 Day Fix and it also comes with a month's suppy of shakeology. Has anyone tried the 21 Day Fix? I just don't know if I want to spend $170.00 (with tax) on it. I would love to hear from anyone that has tried it. My problem is that I am such a sweet tooth, but from what I read it helps with cravings and so forth. Any info would be appreciated.
  • lsmorgan21
    lsmorgan21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you drink it in place of a meal? If so, which one? TIA
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    Do you drink it in place of a meal? If so, which one? TIA
    Yes, you drink it in place of a meal. Typically breakfast but you can replace which ever meal you want. For example, say you have time to prepare yourself breakfast and lunch but you don't have time to make dinner. Use it for dinner.

As for your other question, I haven't done the 21 Day Fix but I have done the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and am doing my second one in June. The two are very similar. The challenge is about $200 after tax and shipping and instead of giving you tupperware, it gives you supplements, meal replacement shakes, energy drinks, etc., and a guide telling you what you should be eating and how much, so it's teaching you what proper portions are and what you should be eating. As I said, very similar to the 21 Day Fix, but you have to actually figure out portion sizes by weighing/measuring, which I think is more sustainable over the rest of your life than relying on tupperware, because after a while you'll be able to eyeball what a serving size is. The biggest difference between the two is that the 24 Day Challenge doesn't come with workout DVDs, though there are some that you can purchase.

I have heard that Shakeology helps curbs cravings, and it's sweet so even if it didn't curb them, it would definitely satisfy them.
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    many people on mfp, facebook and even instagram have tried to get me to buy shakeology. the cost of that shake is what i pay for an entire month of groceries. i'm so sick of people on these sites trying to sell me it. i remove them as soon as i see anything about this crap
  • JJKennedy08
    JJKennedy08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is my suggestion. Invest in a good blender, like a vitamix or ninja, and do what everyone else has said, and make your smoothies yourself. There are tons of how-to for making smoothies ahead of time so the prep work is easy. We freeze all natural yogurt (less protein, but also less expensive than greek yogurt) in muffin tins = 1/2 cup. Take quart size bags, toss in 1-2 frozen "cubes" of yogurt, frozen fruit, some kale, broccoli or spinach, quinoa (cooked) or steel cut oatmeal (uncooked). Assemble 10 of these bags at once, label the bags with the calorie count, the fruit & other combos you use, and throw in the freezer. To make smoothie, grab a bag out of the freezer, dump in some lowfat milk/coconut water/juice (your preference) and blend. Super easy, and fills you up. I also throw my in a to-go cup, top with some multi-grain cheerios, and drink/eat on the way to work. I may eat a small snack, but for the most part I am good to go until lunch. If you are really concerned about protein, then add some protein powder, but I would save that until you are doing intensive muscle building workouts and use the powder as part of your recovery drink (I add some do my chocolate milk).
    From my experience, these shakes are not worth the money. Besides, your body is better able to absorb nutrients from naturally occurring foods, like the fruits and vegetables you can add to your smoothie
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who swore by them, really to me it was overpriced and really I could make better at home.

I use : http://www.naturesbounty.com/optimalsolutions/050875# and mix with milk, PB and Banana and it keeps me full for hours. I had one today at about 7am and I am still not hungry. I would say look around and find one that isnt so expensive and just make your own shake to your taste. There are so many protein powders out there I am sure you will find one you like the flavor of and that doesn't cost so much.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    I have a friend who swore by them, really to me it was overpriced and really I could make better at home.

I use : http://www.naturesbounty.com/optimalsolutions/050875# and mix with milk, PB and Banana and it keeps me full for hours. I had one today at about 7am and I am still not hungry. I would say look around and find one that isnt so expensive and just make your own shake to your taste. There are so many protein powders out there I am sure you will find one you like the flavor of and that doesn't cost so much.
    This is great. I currently use Herbalife's meal replacement shake because I get it free from my dad but this is a reasonably priced mix that I'll have to try eventually.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This is great. I currently use Herbalife's meal replacement shake because I get it free from my dad but this is a reasonably priced mix that I'll have to try eventually.

yeah Target here carries it so its convenient to pick up when I do my other shopping plus the chocolate one is delicious. :smile: