heart rate monitor suggestions

Options
sus49
sus49 Posts: 94 Member
As my subject line says any suggestions for a heart rate monitor? Going shopping.

Replies

• adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar H7...
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use either my Polar H7 or Zephyr HxM both connect via bluetooth to my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Runtastic or Endomondo Apps. My Polar FT7 crapped out on me after replacing the battery on both watch and H1 chest strap. The strap will not make contact with the watch.

P.S. Shop online for better pricing than in store
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you rock
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Since I don't plan on doing long runs or triathlons or anything hard core, I want to get a Polar (vs a Garmin) Right now it is between the FT7 and the FT4 for me.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I got the polar FT4, and love it. I think the main difference is the 7's abilility to upload information to a PC... but that also requires a $50 cable.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 was pain in the *kitten*, but I really like my current hrm, Polar RCX3.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin XT with a hard chest strap. It is water PROOF and can swim with it as well. The hard chest strap holds snug and doesn't slide around at all.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 which I use with iCardio (android) app -- but I simply cannot recommend it. I have had two, and both "eat" batteries. The manual says 160 hours of use but I have never gotten more than 5-10 hours of actual use out of a battery. Also, and more importantly, the HRM is simply not reliable at measuring my heart rate.

Here is a typical workout before I gave up using it altogether.
    Polar_H7.png
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I swear by Polar. Currently have the RS100, but will replace it with FT4 if the day ever comes. Appears to have same functions, but is a cheaper model.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Polar FT-4 last week- I really like it
  • Mismis28
    Mismis28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey! My advice that I learned by mistake would be to check the range between the transmitter (chest-strap) and watch. I have a polar FT4F and I can't say for sure if it is the model or if I have a faulty version, but I have a way too frequent issue with it losing signal cause my wrist is too far away from my chest while doing aerobic workouts (the HRM finds the signal when I bring them closer together). I read later that it actually says the range is only something around 90 cm (not entirely sure if I remember correctly). If I was to buy one today I'd take one with over 10 meter range, then I could actually have the watch away from my body if it was in the way, uncomfortable etc :)
    Otherwise the FT4F has worked fine!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4!
  • Thecookiequeen
    Thecookiequeen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    As my subject line says any suggestions for a heart rate monitor? Going shopping.

Save your money!!! seems like a great idea at the time but I've only used mine a few times. If there is a model with out a chest strap that makes it look like your wearing a bra then I would go with that model. If you do have to wear a chest strap then get ready to keep fixing it the whole time you work out, for it to fling off (not do to size) when your doing chest or anything for any number of reasons.

I have a Timex Ironman road trainer that now serves as a watch ;)
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Garmin 910XT, love it, and also records pool and open water swim data. You can upload all your heart rate data, speed, etc and see your progress. Not cheap but a great multi-sport unit. I've used Garmin 305 and 405 previous, but this one is the best so far. Battery lasts over 10 hours and never has problem picking up transmitter or GPS signal.

Trails?select=Flower%2BCity%2BHalf%2BPreview%2B4-12-2014%2C%2BHeart%2Brate.png
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and an FT7.
    Love them both.

Save your money!!! seems like a great idea at the time but I've only used mine a few times.

Just because you choose to not use yours doesn't mean the OP won't use theirs.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LOVE my MIO Alpha. No chest strap, Bluetooth capable, and is rechargeable . Only need to chage once a week or so too.

Use it with Digifit (iCardio) on my iPhone and it works great!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Really depends on what you wan't to do with it and how much you wan't to spend ;-)

I recently bought myself a Timex Ironman Road, after spending a while looking for a HRM that comes with a good intervall timer function that I can programm directly on the watch, without the need to connect it to a computer. It doesn't have any features like GPS or detailed computer statistics - it measures the heart rate (and shows stuff like revocery pulse, max and average HR after a workout), has a stop watch, the intervall timer, and it's not such a huge monster device like some other watches I looked at. That's all I need, and I'm quite happy with it.

If you are looking for a HRM that paces you while running, I'd go for a Garmin Forerunner or Polar with GPS, but those are more expensive.

If you love statistics, you should also check what kind of data the watch can store and how you can analyise it later (some just offer a windows programm, some watches put the data online, some can do both...).

If you want to use it for swimming too, there are only very few HRM which can give you a pulse while in the water, so youÄd have to check for that.

... as you see, lots of decisions you have to make before you can narrow down the choices :-)
  • dukslayer4051
    dukslayer4051 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    garmin fr60, cheap but it count cals and keeps info on the web