Jump Rope and Overeating

Hi everyone, I need some advice!
I skip (jump rope) for one hour (at least) every five days of the week. It's been working really well, I've lost two pounds in two weeks!
BUT, I had a friend down for four days and I had four days of junk food, I'm on a diet of 1,200 calories, I'm only 4"11 so it's not that bad, but now I feel guilty for eating and my legs have swollen and turned purple because of the jump rope! My friend and mum saw them and were horrified! It's definitely not muscle gain since they feel fluid filled and only one of my ankles has swollen.

Any advice anyone?
Thanks!

Replies

• Die_T
    Die_T Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. I highly doubt I need to see a doctor though, this has happened before, in my arms. I have a close friend in the medical profession and she says I've just torn a few ligaments. I also have an auto-immune disease that the doctors recognize but can't treat, so my body hates anything new, such as exercise...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. I highly doubt I need to see a doctor though, this has happened before, in my arms. I have a close friend in the medical profession and she says I've just torn a few ligaments. I also have an auto-immune disease that the doctors recognize but can't treat, so my body hates anything new, such as exercise...

So... Exactly what kind of advice are you looking for here?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Doesn't sound right, see a doctor
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member

You should still see a doctor...I'm serious.

On a side note, if you like jumping, have you considered getting a trampoline instead so that it isn't as much strain on your joints?
  • Die_T
    The only reason I won't see a doctor is because this HAS happened before (I did go to see a doctor about it, and a fully qualified friend with more than ten years of ambulance work) and I am in bad health. I'm always around the doctors, I went when this began and it was nothing to worry about. Like I said, it's happened before, I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for exercising at home to lose weight and if there is a better amount of time to do this exercise.
    Also, my legs only FEEL fluid filled, like a cows udder, but that might be due to my auto-immune disease.
    It's not like I'm in agony or anything, just limping. I read about minor strain on newly active joints when you begin jumping, I'm sure I just have to rest my legs for a while.

i can't use a trampoline, I live on the second floor , my poor neighbors!

I've just found a website that describes this exactly! It seems to be a level 2 minor strain injury, an ice pack should help.

I appreciate everyone's concern! I feel loved!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    :noway::huh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    when i read 'i jump rope for an hr' I thought this might be a troll,

when i read that your legs turned purple and you didn't want to see a DR, I thought this HAS to be a troll.

on the off chance your not...

i'm in rather good shape, 20-30 min of jump rope is a good workout for me. i don't recommend doing any one form of exercise for an hr, unless its running and you are training for a marathon.

torn ligaments is a big deal and you would have a lot of pain when walking i should think
  • Die_T
    Thanks for everyone's replies and concern, it's greatly appreciated. Turns out my legs swelled because I has lupus and had glandular fever at the time... I just thought I had a cold.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    One hour of jump rope per day = recipe for disaster! Keep it as part of your workout routine, but for the love of Pete! vary your workouts. You're gonna get shin splints at the minimum and that will derail your workouts for a long time.
  • If it is an insurance related situation (assuming you are in the States) get your butt to an emergency ward, you have a serious medical condition that requires immediate attention. Put down the internet now.