Do you eat your dyed eggs?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Dumb question, but I see people say that you shouldn't eat them... Why not? I mean I don't leave them out for hours, they'll be boiled, put in the fridge, dyed, then put back in the fridge. I ate them 2 years ago and it was fine (some were blue, but still good, lol).

I'm already planning on making a lot of egg/avocado salads...

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not eating them. You've got the hygiene covered.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ummmm... yeah!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Eat them and stop listening to the people who tell you that you shouldn't. They don't give very sound advice. Easter is egg salad sandwich time for at least a week in my house with a few orders of deviled eggs thrown in.

Long live the boiled pastel eggs!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you're using edible dye, I don't see why not. I've been eating them every Easter my entire life.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What's the point in boiling eggs if you aren't going to eat them? I've eaten Easter eggs every single year of my life that I can remember. If they are killing me, then it's obviously a slow process.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten the colored eggs from Easter... why wouldn't you? Unless they are outside of the food temperature safe-zone for more than 3-4 hours, or you're using some sort of dye that's not food-safe, eat up!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not eating them. You've got the hygiene covered.

This. Our family tradition is to make gourmet egg salad sandwiches right after the hunt. When the children were young we gave them plastic knives and pickles to chop. We top it with avocado, crab, lox, you name it. Toasted or soft bread. Anything you can think of. We do make sure to only dye week old eggs so they peel easy
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    nomnomnom

that answers that question!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    egg salad with bacon and alfalfa sprouts, hellllllz yes!!!!!
  • Beautifulreflections
    Beautifulreflections Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me too. And its totally heartbreaking.

I'm far from Martha Stewart but I use the silk tie method to color them and they are so purdy. I die a little inside every time someone cracks one open.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    As a kid we always ate them after they had been sitting in the basket overnight. I'm still alive to tell the story. I also drank from an outside water hose and my parents had no issues spanking me when needed.

Life today is different. My kids are older but when we still dyed eggs, we always ate them.

Happy Easter. :flowerforyou:
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    yes! The kids dye them the night before and the I make devield eggs easter morning! I always have to fight the husband,Dad and Grandpa to stay away from them till lunch time!!!!
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use water based paint non-toxic kids paint, peel and rinse them and then eat them :)
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    food coloring, which is what I use to dye my eggs, is edible. Bet your butt I'm going to enjoy my colored eggs!!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Dumb question, but I see people say that you shouldn't eat them... Why not? I mean I don't leave them out for hours, they'll be boiled, put in the fridge, dyed, then put back in the fridge. I ate them 2 years ago and it was fine (some were blue, but still good, lol).

I'm already planning on making a lot of egg/avocado salads...

Not only do I eat those eggs, but I also do not put them in the fridge.....in 60 years of that practice neither I nor anyone else I know has ever gotten ill. But I understand that in the US people are easily scared of anything that has to do with an assumed expiration date of food. We used to make usually dishes with boiled eggs starting the Monday after Easter Sunday and the prepared dishes of course were kept in the fridge.....the hard boiled and colored eggs usually were gone by Thursday or Friday.
    But I have to ask; avocado salads with hard boiled eggs ? Maybe my living for 20 years here in Mexico has turned me into an avocado purist...lol. Avocado with eggs.....unimaginable.....:o).
  • 50by61
    50by61 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why not? The dye is safe, I assume. When I was a child, the recipe called for vinegar, so there's a natural preservative. I wouldn't save them for Memorial day, but they should be fine for a couple of weeks.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    The kids get their candy and I get my hard boiled eggs. Win-Win!!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Me too. And its totally heartbreaking.

I'm far from Martha Stewart but I use the silk tie method to color them and they are so purdy. I die a little inside every time someone cracks one open.

I just looked them up. Very cool and beautiful. I think I'll give this a shot this year.

However, you probably shouldn't eat those ones since many dyes used on fabrics are toxic. If you dye fabric at home, it's well known that you don't use measuring cups, spoons or pots from the dying process in food production ever.

It's completely save to eat food safe dyed eggs but the dye used on silk, not so much.
  • lisamichellegabrielle
    Options
    We use an air compressor to blow out our eggs then dye them. We try all kinds of neat methods from patterns from stickers (pealing off the stickers to leave a letter or shape), making minion eggs this year, getting my parents and the kids great grand parents involved. Soooo many ideas and techniques out there that we have a blast!
    Then after the hours of family fun we have amazing omelets with the blow out egg.
    The dyed eggs get ribbons added and we hang them from forsythia branches on the dinning room table. We keep them from year to year remembering people who have passed on and enjoying the amazing inexpensive family heirlooms. Such a fantastic memory maker and non wasteful method.