How good are Shape ups?

Options
My husband wants to buy Shape Ups for me. I have seen the Shape up ads. I am not sure whether it is a total marketing gimmick or if they are worth it. I have never been into running and starting today will be doing my first C25K. If you guys could share your inputs, I appreciate it.

Replies

• Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    They are wonderful if you are just walking in them. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT run in them. They will screw up your ankles. Hubby got me them, cuz I figured they'd be okay to run in, and I am now waiting to be able to afford good running shoes. At least they were the ones you can get from Walmart. You can get generic Shapeups at Walmart for $30 instead of $130
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a different opinion on them. I had some, and developed shin splints. A friend of mine uses them and she is fine. I never ran in mine, just a steady pace of walking. My doctor told me to go and buy "real" walking shoes. He totally despises those things. I think everyone has to try them to make their own opinion of them though.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I owned a pair of shape ups - they are good for your calves and legs, but they can be dangerous. if you buy them, be sure to use them for walking only. Many have fallen while just walking sustaining serious breaks (ankles, etc). My daughter tried to wear them on the treadmill, she twisted her ankle very badly and fell - cracking her head on other gym equipment close by. fortunately, she did not suffer a break. NEVER USE THEM FOR RUNNING - the curvature of the sole cause running to be really dangerous. Do the research on them - check out what others are saying. I decided to use the Easy Tones instead due to my fearing a serious fall and fractures.

Vickie
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am just surprised he didn't get punched in the nose. Punch.gif
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I've read that they do not make a noticable difference in your legs or bum..i think its a gimmick
  • Fat2FitArmyWifey
    Options
    I wear my Shape Ups when walking & I have always had toned legs my problem area is my arms & stomach. Try them! I must say though when I first started wearing them I could only walk about thirty minutes before my legs got super tired! For the most part I love them! It's whatever you choose though.
  • srsimon
    srsimon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pair of the new Sketchers Tone-ups. I'm waiting for them to come. The tone-ups aren't like the shape ups, instead of a rocking type sole they have "bumps" at the balls of your feet and heel. And these ones say they are running shoes. I'll post after I get them and try them out.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have always heard they are a gimick
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the Shape Ups, but I did wear out a pair of Reebok Realtones....loved 'em. I felt more worn out after a day of wearing those than if I had worn regular shoes, but there was no way I could do anything except walk in them (even used different sneakers for gym classes). Nice thing about the Reebok variety is that it's hard to tell they are different, the Shape Ups always looked like moon boots to me.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I've had a pair for a year and they are good for walks (not on the treadmill though). You can feel them working your calves but that's all I wear them for. My trainer even said they can screw up your center of balance if you wear them all the time.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I have coworkers who wear them and say that they can feel a difference when they are walking. Whether they have actually helped tone anything is unknown.
  • dlh201
    Options
    I own Shape-Ups, too, and love them. You do feel them working. However, I agree with the person who said not to wear them running. I tried that once, and my knees and back immediately hurt.
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    I have a pair and they are the most comfortable shoe that I have ever worn.
  • tink1005
    Options
    I bought a pair of Sketcher's Shape ups this past summer. I wear them mostly for work, as I am walking all day. I feel they have helped my weak ankles and also helped with my heel pain. I would never try running in them, nor have i used them on treadmill fpr walking. I don't know how they truly work when it comes to toning, but people I have talked to like them for work if they are on their feet all day.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    They are a gimmick. When you first wear them you will probably notice a bit of a soreness because you are forced to walk differently but your body will quickly adapt and there's no measurable difference in muscle usage. There are actual studies published that show that they don't really tone your legs any more than walking in any other shoe. I've also seen a number of comments from doctors recommending against them.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good that I asked. I got insights into the Shapeups. Since I am looking for running and from most of the reviews said they are not good for running, I am going to drop the idea of buying them. May be in summer if I plan to walk will give it a try.

Thank you.